I can't wait for Pidgeot to become illegal.

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I know one could argue "It's there; use it," but Quick Search is beyond amazing. Most decks only need a few and they're set. Play anything to get rid of Battle Frontier... Space Center gets rid of it and shuts down Lunatone/Solrock. Not much can stop it.

Are there any alternatives to Pidgeot aside from Ludicargo?

Well there is persian  from (DS) and it does the same thing as pidgeot but only once when it comes in to play but im gonna hate when it goes away because it means that my venusaur ex is going to go away as well :( but oh well I have other deck ideas :D does any one know when FRLG is going away?

Sets will rotate once Worlds is over, which won't be for many more months.

yes i will hate that :( but i have a chance for worlds this year i havent lost yet with my deck yet :) but i was hoping it would be another year at least but months :( ok i have a new goal get to states and win get to regionals and win i kno its out there but ill do it and get my name on one of the 2006 world championship decks:)

I agree, Pidgeot is much too broken for the current metagame. Once it appears on your opponent's bench, time is of the essence to build up your main attacker and win the game before your opponent becomes too strong to fight. Some cards have the ability to shut it down temporarily (Battle Frontier, EX: LM Solrock, etc.), but normal decks shouldn't have to go through the inconvenience of putting Pidgeot in their deck or finding a way to counter it just to match the strength of the large number of decks that use Pidgeot.

As far as alternatives go, Porygon2 from EX: DS has a power that works exactly like Professor Birch. If you have a deck where you play cards from your hand frequently, it might not be a bad idea to put it in there.

Cleffa is good for shuffling power in the beginning of the game. It can put you back a prize and allow you to use POW!.

There are lots of cards with really specific drawing abilities. It really depends on what your deck needs the most (Trainers, Evos, Energy, etc...).

Tough luck kid.

Pidgeot is really useful for many decks like
SMP
Queendoom
RockLock
and the list goes on.

Well? Battle frontier is your best choice, nuff said.

Pidgeot is used in so, many metagame decks it's not even funny. Once Pideot is gone Pokemon will have to replace it. Macargo just isn't fast enough meaning if you need a card on that turn get the card. Don't just wait till your next. It could ruin the game for you.
                                       A lot of draw cards also work.

Furret from EX: Team Rocket Returns is a very strong card for searching. Quick Change allows you, for 1 colorless energy, to exchange up to 3 cards in your hand for 3 other cards in your deck. Quick Tail Smash can also do 80 damage for 2 colorless energy with the flip of a coin; useful for bad starts and desperate situations.

Once you use Quick Change, your turn ends, and you have to wait until next turn to play the cards. If your opponent plays Rocket's Admin, you just wasted an attack. Shouldn't happen too often, though.

Too bad it won't survive the next format change...

The only actual POKéPOWERs that even come close to FRLG Pidgeot, other than Magcargo are EX: DX Jirachi's Wishing Star and EX: DS Metagross (both of which most people already know about), though they are only limited to a few cards, Jirachi can only be used from the Active Slot and Metagross has a heavy retreat cost. That's pretty much it...

It will be interesting to see what new kinds of drawing systems develop for decks once HL, FRLG, RR, and DX all bite the dust (for every set that is released, a set is removed for the next format). Rocket's Admin, Oak's Research, and Copycat will all go away.

In the big scheme of things, if you don't like archetypes, just experiment with what works best for your deck. Just because your opponent plays Pidgeot doesn't mean it can't be beaten. It just means you'll have to get lucky and think harder about what decisions you make during your turn.

Another thing that is an alternative is TRR Furret, I love the little thing. It is a good combo with Lady outing, get three energy and Quick Change them for a couple of cards that you need.

I will not use Pidgeot in any of my decks-
1. Too rare to get in booster pack
2. I don't wanna have too many stage 2s in my deck
Eevee evo, Shocking fire and Dark Metal have strengths already, Eevee evo being the 5 stage 1s, Shocking Fire Blazy EX and Dark Metal Mightyena Delta (I have 2 of it!)

about the world tournament, I live in Belgium, not many players and not many good players, so I might have a chance. Look at the Pokémon TOOL deck to see my deck.
http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=636
There will be better cards soon, My mom is a judge, so, free cards

living in one of the smallest countries in Europe is fun. 5 hours driving to get from the one side to the other

B_F: That's great, but totally offtopic.. try to talk about the thread subject, please..

DocRobot_K-176 said:
The only actual POKéPOWERs that even come close to FRLG Pidgeot, other than Magcargo are EX: DX Jirachi's Wishing Star and EX: DS Metagross (both of which most people already know about), though they are only limited to a few cards, Jirachi can only be used from the Active Slot and Metagross has a heavy retreat cost. That's pretty much it...

It will be interesting to see what new kinds of drawing systems develop for decks once HL, FRLG, RR, and DX all bite the dust (for every set that is released, a set is removed for the next format). Rocket's Admin, Oak's Research, and Copycat will all go away.

In the big scheme of things, if you don't like archetypes, just experiment with what works best for your deck. Just because your opponent plays Pidgeot doesn't mean it can't be beaten. It just means you'll have to get lucky and think harder about what decisions you make during your turn.

That's true. Pidgeot is not invincible. I developed some admiration for lightning pokémon and for Pow! after I fought several pidgeots (and ludicargos)

A not very efficient card searcher pokémon is Aipom, if you combine him with magcargo or maybe with a pokédex. ( But both magcargo and pokédex will be rotated...)

Why would you want pidgeot illegal? He is a very good card and I don't want that to happen.:)

My arguement essentially parallels the argument of why not to use Kyogre, Mewtwo, or any of the tier-III legendaries in the GB games. They make the game less fun because the vast majority of the teams that are successful are the ones with the legendaries in them. I consider EX: FrLg Pidgeot to be the same as using Kyogre in the GB game.

I think it decreases the originality of decks and gives them an edge that is too powerful against decks that do not use some sort of drawing Pokémon (such as Pidgeot, Magcargo, Porygon2, δ Metagross etc). They can counter many moves that you make, undermining your efforts. Let's say that your deck suffers from Mt. Moon (Eeveeevolutions, for example). You play a counter gym to get rid of the Mt. Moon. They can just use Quick Search... AND GET ANOTHER MT. MOON! You can't do a thing! Let's say your deck relies heavily on status conditions (Flareon-ex + Full Flame, for example). They can just use Quick Search... AND GET A HEAL ENERGY!

I recognize that there are alot of decks that use Pidgeot to set up. The reasons these decks are powerful is because they use Pidgeot. What happens if you take away Pidgeot from LBS, RockLock, and Queendom? The deck simply falls apart because there is no other drawing engine that compares to it, except Magcargo. LBS has the freedom to search for a Holon's Electrode/Magneton in their deck whenever they want to and obliterate your bench, preventing you from launching a counter attack, and in most cases, resulting in an auto loss because they just keep preventing you from setting up.

I want to see a wide variety of original decks to play against, not just the same decks over and over again. For me, I get a great satisfaction out of winning with an original deck. In fact, I would rather LOSE with a rogue/underused deck than WIN with a largely overplayed/overused deck. I enjoy close matches, rather than games where I blow away the opponent in the beginning of the game.

That is just me though. Perhaps there is another side of the arguement of using Pidgeot that I am failing to consider. For those of you that play Pidgeot, I am interested in hearing your opinion on this matter. Why is Pidgeot NOT broken?

That is true but it depends on the player and what cards they have and a player that has a deck like that has a better chance at winning. You just have to choost the right cards and hope you don't go againts somebody like that.:)

Back