• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Hydreingon BREAK

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Im trying to make a Non-EX based deck for Hydreigon BREAK. At the moment i have sort of a combination of hydreigon and Noivern as they use similar energy and thought itd make a nice shield and spread damage to help the BREAK finish stuff off
Note: I play in Japan so all XY cards are still good for local tournaments!

Pokemon
Deino(XY11) 4
Zweilos(XY11) 2
Hydreigon(XY4) 3 (XY11) 1
BREAK 2
Yveltal (XY1/11) 1
Noibat (same set as Noivern Break) 2
Noivern (XY3) 2

Supporter
Sycamore 3
Lysandre 1
Wally 1
Teammates 1
Hex maniac 1
Giovanni 1
Brock 1
Brigette 1
Skyla 1

Items
Vs Seeker 3
Battle compressor 1
Level ball 2
Heavy ball 3
Rare candy 3
Special charge 2
Sacred Ash 1
Ultra ball 1
Escape rope 1
Switch 1
Prof. Letter 1
Energy retrieval 1

Energy
DDE 4
Dark 7

Any help and feedback is appreciated, thank you!!

I really do like Hydreigon BREAK, but it actually can function much better in expanded. However, seeing as you want to build a standard list with the card, here's my skeleton list:

Pokemon: 17
4 Talonflame STS
4 Deino STS
2 Zweilous STS
4 Hydreigon STS
3 Hydreigon BREAK

Trainer Cards: 31
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

4 Ultra Ball
4 Bursting Balloon
1 Special Charge
2 Super Rod
4 VS Seeker
4 Rare Candy

2 Silent Lab

Energy: 12
4 Double Dragon Energy
8 Basic Darkness Energy

I really do like Hydreigon BREAK, but it actually can function much better in expanded. However, seeing as you want to build a standard list with the card, here's my skeleton list:

Pokemon: 17
4 Talonflame STS
4 Deino STS
2 Zweilous STS
4 Hydreigon STS
3 Hydreigon BREAK

Trainer Cards: 31
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

4 Ultra Ball
4 Bursting Balloon
1 Special Charge
2 Super Rod
4 VS Seeker
4 Rare Candy

2 Silent Lab

Energy: 12
4 Double Dragon Energy
8 Basic Darkness Energy
It's expanded because XY noivern.
You could combo it with DEX hydreigon

Thanks for the feedback!

While expanded is the same in Japan and the states, Japan runs its events using a different set of regulations. If i want to use the DEX(Dark explorers right?) Hydreigon, Id have to find a shop that runs BW AND XY regulations, which is somewhat difficult. Most places use only XY regulation as of BREAKpoint.

Anyway, back to your list!
So I am guessing I should pray Talonflame is in my starting hand and build up the Hydreigons from there on? Which attack of hydreigon should I be focusing on? Something like using the balloons and cruel(?) fang to stall while attaching dark energy, then calamity blast, rinse and repeat?

I'll see what I can do about getting another VS seeker, in japan they are a slightly rare and covetted card. They don't come from normal packs except the UR in Roaring skies!

My goal is to try and make a deck for every dragon, one step at a time!!

You can set up behind Talonflame with the deck, given that Talonflame is your start. You can play the deck similar to how Greninja/Talonflame. However, using Yveltal to accelerate is also a good idea. In expanded, Dark Explorers Hydreigon and Phantom Forces Hydreigon are both amazing :)

If I were to put in the phantom force Hydreigon in, how do you think I should split it? 3 Phantom and 1 STS? That way Incan get a constant Calamity blast, or should I do 2-2 for a little more offensive balance?
Once I am sure how many talonflame I have I'll definitely give this list a shot, except the 4th VS probably.

I would say 3 Phantom Forces, 1 Dark Explorers. Although the ability to move energy is nice, having energy acceleration is even more important.

My list outline

4 Deino (steam siege)
2 Zwelious (dragons exalted)
4 Hydreigon (phantom forces)
2 Hydreigon BREAK
4 Sableye (dark explorers)
1 Eggexutor (plasma freeze)

The goal is the use Calamity Blast every single turn once set up. It can even be done without attaching from hand every turn, or even playin a single card. All of it is done by the Hydreigon from phantom forces. It's ability is like medal links, or the classic Ray Eels deck engine, but this one dumps energy on the active. Now how do I do this?

You wall behind Sableye while junk hunting back you setup stuff. Use compressor to throw out your computer searches, dark energy and more compressors to make your discard pile your workshop. Junk hunt puzzle to grab the assortment of things like rare candy, silver bangle and ultra/level/heavy balls and your computer search. I find it fun and better without shaymin since your opponent has to knock out 6 Pokemon. Feel free to ask me for any more ideas.

Also, one last thing, this deck is unplayable in standard. Don't even try if you want Hydreigon BREAK to be any good.

Thanks for the input Dalton! Is there a reason you chose the dragons exaulted Zweilos instead of the ither ones?

Also, as I states before, in Japan they play using series regulations, not the standard or expanded style formats, so currently as long as it is from the XY era, I can use it without any issues, however Shops that still allow use of BW era cards are far and few.

Although, it might be cool to have 2 non ex dragon expanded decks. After I try out the talonflame one i might experiment with this one!
Any particular key supporters? Colress? Ghetis?
Edit: forgot to ask, the last card, did you maybe mean to say exeggcute, with the ability to return to the hand from the trash?

Last edited:
Yes the exeggute that you can return it from the discard. And the reasons behind my Deino/Zwelious choices in kind of weird. After trying Dark Patch stuff, I came to the conclusion I should abandon dark types in the line and focus entirely on a dragon line so I can attach double dragon to the basic. I chose the Steam Siege one since it has a non flip way to disrupt the opponent. The Dragons Exalted Zwelious is used in case of the off chance they get brought up I can Draw In for energy support, assuming they are not knocked out.

Back