Hydreigon (NV # 79) {12/18/12}

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
296d850.png

Card of the Day: Hydreigon​
79-hydreigon.jpg

I can sum up why this card is completely unplayable in 3 words:

SUDDENLY, LANDORUS EX

It is nice. It isn't competitive though. You may play a rouge for this. The biggest problem is that it is a stage 2. Bigger problem than having to use 4 energy to attack because the ability takes out that problem for you. It can have any energy acceleration. Don't know where you could make a deck with this (maybe a rogue eels for league).

Playability: 2/10

Art: 8/10

DNA said:
I can sum up why this card is completely unplayable in 3 words:

SUDDENLY, LANDORUS EX

Stop stealing my lines >:0

Anyway, DNA summed that up quite nicely. Weakness to fighting, a almost completely useless ability, and a horrid, costly attack. 60-40-40 might sound nice, but in an era of giant EX's, the spread isn't getting you anywhere, especially on a Stage 2.

Playability: -5/0

I can't really afford catchers, so i've found a nice home for this in my Darkrai/Hydreigon Deck. I typically only use it when i'm facing a Garchomp deck, or some Eel's variant and it works wonders there as my opponent just does not see it coming. Taking out 2 Altaria/Swablu/Eeletrik/Tynamo really sets them back, and even if Hydreigon is revenge-ko'd, the energy lost is often negligible with Dark Patch.

Course, this just goes to show that Hydreigon is most useful as a tech and not it's own deck. Eh, 4/10.

Back when this card came out, I'm sure it was half-decent.

But then suddenly big EX era.

At least the attack still sounds cool.

The Fallen One said:
Back when this card came out, I'm sure it was half-decent.

But then suddenly big EX era.

At least the attack still sounds cool.

Nope, it wasn't half decent even when it came out.

As a pre-NXD rogue league deck, I made Cinccino/Hydreigon/Tyranitar (prime), it was fun to say the least.
In competitive play however, it has no real place.

As [mod]DNA[/mod] eloquently put, Landorus EX makes this card completely unplayable.

I still think it's a great card, just not very viable in this format. It functions well with DCE though.

I don't know, I think this is a pretty cool card. It hits 3 pokemon at once which can help set up KOs with other cards. Combined with darkrai, you're dealing some huge damage. The power and dark typing make it much easier to power up (dark patch and DCE), it can be spalshed into the most popular decktype, and with some planning, can score you multiple prizes.

7/10 for the darkrai hydreigon, otherwise 6/10.

Artwork 10/10.

Hydreigon was actually an interesting card... for autumn Battle Roads, that is. Back when Eels/Rayeels varients and Garchomp/Altaria were being played during the first week of battle roads, I saw quite a few Darkrai/Hydreigon lists playing a one-of of this Hydreigon to snipe and get 2HKOs on Swablus and Tynamos.

However, in the current format, you would have to be an idiot in order to play this Hydreigon. It's weak to Landorus, and Terrakion OHKOs it, both of which are some of the most popular cards in the game. Overall, I'd give this card a 3/10. While it isn't playable in the current metagame (nor will it ever be playable), we can be thankful that at least it's not one of those boring filler rares that TPCI likes to curse us with.

Back