Hundred Round Clip (OU)

Uralya

*ponders everything*

02d237b6-459b-443f-b755-40d5db01db74_zps40113ca4.png

Hundred Round Clip
An XY OU team by Uralya

Run around sick, never trip when I come with this -, I am the chosen
One to the head, two to the head, three to the head when I hit em with a hundred round clip

Intro:

Hey everybody! Long time no see. It's been awhile since my last RMT here (Radioactive), and the metagame has completely shifted. I remember the seasons of relentless rains and shifting sands, the days of endless sunlight and the nights of terrible blizzards. Gone are they, to the depths of the fifth generation. Upon embarking on this new generation, I quickly picked up my offensive roots and stumbled upon the heralded DragMag combo of this generation, Talonflame and Staraptor. When I first looked at Talonflame, I never though it would amount to much, but how wrong I was - this is a monstrosity. I've known the flying-type to be a dangerous offensive type from my days of Hurricane-spamming with Tornadus-Therian, but the one-two punch of these two bird bombers is one of my favorite techniques. Adding to this the facts that both can utilize U-turn and that I can once again use the dreaded Genesect, I fell in love with this team. I realize that things may be somewhat standard here, but the fundamentals of this team are so well-ironed out that there's little needed room for improvement. Regardless, I'd appreciate anything you can give me. So, here is Hundred Round Clip.

This team's name comes from the supersonic Twisted Insane, one of the fastest Chopper-style rappers I have ever heard. His rap "100 Round Clip" is just the right speed and design for this terrifying blitzkrieg.

I will note ahead of time that this team does not require Stealth Rock support of its own. I have adjusted things enough and incorporated so much chip damage that I cannot fit a Stealth Rock user without repainting the whole canvas. So I will kindly say that I do not wish to use hazards on this team beforehand.

At a glance:

talonflame.gif
staraptor.gif
genesect.gif
rotom-wash.gif
venusaur-mega.gif
latias.gif

In-depth:

088294ed-6e1d-44f7-97c7-ab2c117e0629_zpsc0ba155a.png

Flashbang (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Talonflame is the star of the team, the greatest revenge killer in XY, and one of the soundest cleaners ever to exist. I never anticipated Talonflame's ascent to the throne, but it has surely proven its worth time and time again. Although 4x weak to Stealth Rock, Choice Band Talonflame gets the job done. This set gets the jump on positive-natured Base 105 Pokémon and lower and throws the rest of the EVs in HP, where it provides an odd number to take less Stealth Rock damage.. There just is not a good reason to up the speed too much more because of Mega Lucario's imminent ban - I used to use 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd with a Jolly nature for this, but with what seems like a guaranteed end to Mega Luke, I decided that more power would be lovely. Speaking of power, Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are the combined definition of that, dual STAB moves that shred weakened teams with 120 BP and priority on the former thanks to Gale Wings. There is no reason not to run either of these on most Talonflame sets. U-turn makes an appearance to use the momentum that this team thrives on, with four VoltTurn users. Also making the cut is Tailwind - Will-O-Wisp is already present on Rotom-W anyways - which gives a four-turn speed boost with priority to boot; it's a very nice last ditch move if Talonflame is sacrificed so something like Staraptor can sweep.

3174c8c0-acbb-48ba-aded-f652e17c4f96_zps7c0a6136.png

Kickback (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

Staraptor was an underrated gem in BL during the last generation, but it now rises to glory alongside its burning partner as a reborn phoenix. Choice Band Staraptor is a ferocious Pokémon, as with Reckless and three 120 BP moves, it wrecks everything (including its counters) and paves the way for Talonflame to clean up. I use an Adamant nature over the preferred Jolly because, after Stealth Rock, the attack boost allows Staraptor to OHKO Heatran and Rotom-W with the combination of Close Combat and Rotom-W or 2HKO them with two Brave Birds. Brave Bird is Staraptor's main STAB and one of the reasons to use it at all in OU, whereas Double-Edge is its normal-type counterpart, although is best used less often due to its inferior coverage. Close Combat is Staraptor's third powerhouse move, tearing apart things like Heatran and Tyranitar for Talonflame to power through the rest. Finally, U-turn here further extends the momentum of this team and strengthens the synergy. All of it is very standard - Quick Attack could be used for priority, but I do not feel it necessary due to Gyarados' relevant weakness to Rotom-W.

4899e672-e2ea-4ee3-90a2-cd6bc53c4900_zps2ffb6636.png

Chopper (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naïve Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

I have waited for what seems like ages to use this menace again, but at long last Genesect returns to OU. It may be up on the block for banning once again, but it's been a blast using it in the tier I feel it belongs in. What I run here is close to the extremely popular Choice Scarf set that made Genesect so dangerous before, but I use a full Atk spread and Iron Head instead. My reasoning here is that, due to the momentum-nature of this team, you will be leaning on U-turn more often than not, and racking up powerful chip damage here and there helps break apart teams for the birds to clean up. Speaking of U-turn, this move is mandatory on any Genesect that is not a sweeper - it's what makes Genesect a scout in the first place. Iron Head, the unconventional choice here, is used over Thunderbolt because the latter move is but a shadow of its former self - bulky waters normally will tank said move, aside from Gyarados among other things, who is not too common (and is covered by Rotom-W). Iron Head serves as a great STAB to throw around and possibly gain back lost causes with its obnoxious flinching, and it also turns Genesect into a secondary late-game cleaner, always good to have. Flamethrower and Ice Beam together form Genesect's special coverage, dealing with Steels, Dragons, etc. Those two moves are very staple on Genesect.

6d540490-4613-4c02-a1e2-b923c6374e6e_zps4b0d5746.png

Flow (Rotom-W) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W has long been a staple in the Pokémon world ever since it received its Water-typing. It is still arguably the best pivot in the game, up there with Landorus-Therian debatably. The set I run is close to the standard pivot - the 16 Spd is there to outspeed common variants of other Rotom forms. Hydro Pump covers the main STAB as per every Rotom-W set, but it should be used sparingly due to only having 8 PP and 80% accuracy in addition to its nerf this generation. Volt Switch is one of the reasons that this is so good - Rotom-W is by far the best user of it this generation due in part to its bulk and typing. Chipping for damage on the opposite end of the spectrum and keeping momentum is key on this team. Will-O-Wisp serves as a status condition for defensive Pokémon and helps Rotom-W defend physically. It can also help play mindgames with Pokémon such as Excadrill (attempting to take a free switch) and Aegislash. Finally, Rest, alongside the Chesto Berry, keeps Rotom-W alive for a full other go-around after use, and I find a full recovery more preferable than the otherwise risky Pain Split.

fd2e4c84-b1ef-4034-b9d2-ca9990fab0c1_zps99e83186.png

Grind (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

Mega Venusaur is one of the most interesting Megavolutions to come out of the Kalos region. Instead of possessing hefty offenses like many Megavolutions, Mega Venusaur turns into one of the bulkiest tanks in the metagame. The core of Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W is very potent, handling the likes of Heatran, Aegislash, Rotom-W and more for the birds whilst simultaneously covering each other. This Venusaur is built purely specially defensive to pair with Rotom-W's defensive spread, simply put. Knock Off, thanks to Palutena, helps immensely with my former weakness to the Lati-twins and Chansey, putting away the Choice Specs, Leftovers and Eviolites they abuse so much. Sludge Bomb is crucial as a STAB in smacking Fairies and opposing Flying-types, which both generally are attracted to Venusaur. Giga Drain is an optimal recovery STAB move, hitting Rotom-W, Landorus-Therian and Manaphy hard and sapping life from the latter two's giant HP stats. Lastly, Synthesis is used as an essential Recover, as, without Leftovers, Venusaur is whittled down somewhat quickly.

7aef07e5-4769-4b82-bea0-e1c37b778f74_zps821c8202.png

She Is (Latias) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Wish
- Dragon Pulse
- Defog

The last Pokémon to be featured on this team is Latias, an old mainstay from the fifth generation but now with a highly different role. Utilized as a cleric and spinner here, Latias is the glue of the team and helps keep it up. The EV spread is largely standard for Latias, with maximized bulk and speed. Defog, which received a huge buffer in XY, eliminates screens and entry hazards so the four VoltTurn users can move around safely, and the birds can fly about without fear of Stealth Rock. Dragon Pulse serves as her obligatory STAB move so as not to become Taunt bait, and it still has great neutral coverage - Genesect and Venusaur can dismantle the Fairies in her way if needed. Wish helps keep Latias and the team in good health and can be a great utility with the constant switching that goes on. The last and most unique move to Latias is Healing Wish, which trades her for the complete revival of a damaged member of the team - this happens often with the recoil damage the birds deal themselves, the hazard damage that can accumulate, and the tanking that some members endure. She is definitely an underrated Pokémon and is quite the cleric if utilized correctly.

Threats:

Choice Specs Latios is by far the greatest threat to this team, landing an OHKO on every member of the team if it can predict correctly. Fortunately, it is choiced after all, and it takes a lot of damage from switching in and out. Talonflame can outspeed it and use Brave Bird to deal upwards of 93% to it, a guaranteed OHKO after some chip damage. Also, Tailwinded Staraptor destroys it as well, Venusaur can Knock Off his item, and Genesect has the U-turn edge.

Staraptor is ironically another threat to the team, OHKOing everything except Rotom-W, though this is expected. Staraptor is fragile however, and Genesect can easily revenge kill it.

Dragons in general are also threats, like Dragonite, and Rotom-W is one of the few outs to them. Genesect and Talonflame are nice revenge killers for these though.

Defensively, Mega Aggron walls the whole team in ways you can't imagine. This is all but common though, so that is a relief.

Chansey walls them all except for Staraptor, but it is also not too common. Venusaur can take out its Eviolite too.

Cresselia is a great wall here, taking only moderate damage from Staraptor, but again, uncommon is the name of the game.

Exportable:

Flashbang (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Kickback (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

Chopper (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Flow (Rotom-W) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

Grind (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

She Is (Latias) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Wish
- Dragon Pulse
- Defog

Conclusion:

It has been a great time using this team, and I hope it interests you all enough to see the power behind the one-two punch that is Talonflame and Staraptor. Feel free to rate, test, critique, suggest, and everything in-between - this team is a gift to you. I hope you all have a good year in 2014 and with the sixth generation, especially after the culmination of the first suspect test. Carpe diem!

To solve a few of your problem threats, I would suggest the use of Knock Off on Venusaur, instead of Sleep Powder, and using a Sassy Nature. It attracts both Latias and Chansey, and both don't want to get hit by Knock Off. Specs Latios is 2HKOed if it switches in on Knock Off, taking a minimum of 56% (Knock Off + Stealth Rock + Sludge Bomb is a guaranteed kill). This also has the perk of removing the Choice Specs. As for Chansey, removing the Eviolite makes it much easier to deal with.

Professor Palutena said:
To solve a few of your problem threats, I would suggest the use of Knock Off on Venusaur, instead of Sleep Powder, and using a Sassy Nature. It attracts both Latias and Chansey, and both don't want to get hit by Knock Off. Specs Latios is 2HKOed if it switches in on Knock Off, taking a minimum of 56% (Knock Off + Stealth Rock + Sludge Bomb is a guaranteed kill). This also has the perk of removing the Choice Specs. As for Chansey, removing the Eviolite makes it much easier to deal with.

Much simpler than I thought - I never considered Knock Off as an option on Venusaur, but it looks pretty potent here. I suppose I'll test it later, thank you. I enjoy Sleep Powder's incapacitating power, but the sake of fixing these problem threats, however big they are, pretty much outweighs that.

I love this team. Utilizing Genesect is something I've tried myself, and it looks like you've made a good impact here. Latias seems like a really good way to make up for the lack of your own hazards. Just saying though; lack of hazards allows opposing Talonflame with a higher Speed investment to wreck you, especially if you lose Latias before Defogging or not getting a chance to Defog in the first place. I can see the same thing going for DD Dragonite. Lack of Special attackers is another potential problem, as Physical walls might not wall the entire team, but they do pose a threat, meaning that e.g. if you lose Talonflame, Defensive Ferrothorn can wall you easily bar for Genesect's Flamethrower, which is rather predictable and can be avoided.
However, none of these are of that much concern, since you seem to have achieved a synergy between your mons that can be put to risk if you directly replace one of them. As long as you're careful, I think you'll be fine.
All in all, quite solid. One question, however. Although I can see its use, Tailwind in Singles is kind of a niche, and 90% of the times you'll use it, Talonflame will bite the dust. Staraptor is quite fast on its own, and there are a few cases only where you might need Tailwind. Same goes for Genesect. Most of the time, Tailwind will only be useful for killing the opposing Scarfer, and if your opponent is careful, they won't bring him out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this a good enough reason to sacrifice Talonflame? Then, on the other hand, I don't really see what you could replace it with... Talonflame's movepool is quite shallow.

Chaos Jackal said:
I love this team. Utilizing Genesect is something I've tried myself, and it looks like you've made a good impact here. Latias seems like a really good way to make up for the lack of your own hazards. Just saying though; lack of hazards allows opposing Talonflame with a higher Speed investment to wreck you, especially if you lose Latias before Defogging or not getting a chance to Defog in the first place. I can see the same thing going for DD Dragonite. Lack of Special attackers is another potential problem, as Physical walls might not wall the entire team, but they do pose a threat, meaning that e.g. if you lose Talonflame, Defensive Ferrothorn can wall you easily bar for Genesect's Flamethrower, which is rather predictable and can be avoided.
However, none of these are of that much concern, since you seem to have achieved a synergy between your mons that can be put to risk if you directly replace one of them. As long as you're careful, I think you'll be fine.
All in all, quite solid. One question, however. Although I can see its use, Tailwind in Singles is kind of a niche, and 90% of the times you'll use it, Talonflame will bite the dust. Staraptor is quite fast on its own, and there are a few cases only where you might need Tailwind. Same goes for Genesect. Most of the time, Tailwind will only be useful for killing the opposing Scarfer, and if your opponent is careful, they won't bring him out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this a good enough reason to sacrifice Talonflame? Then, on the other hand, I don't really see what you could replace it with... Talonflame's movepool is quite shallow.
Thank you for the rate bro.

Talonflame with a higher speed investment don't really need to be fought with by my own Talonflame - that's what Rotom-W and Latias are for. I tend to let Rotom-W wall it, and then pitch Latias to heal him completely for another round.

Defensive Ferrothorn are problematic, but yeah, Talonflame and Genesect exist as you said. Rotom-W also has Will-O-Wisp.

On the topic of Tailwind, I only use this when there is something that I can't kill with Talonflame and none of my other members can outspeed it, or when I can change it up and use Staraptor to sweep. Typically only when Talonflame can't do any more damage or has taken enough that healing with Latias isn't dire. Examples of things to outspeed would be Thundurus-I (I could outspeed this if I used max speed), Terrakion, etc.

One option I tested but didn't find that cohesive was using Will-O-Wisp on Talonflame and Thunder Wave on Rotom-W, but the status conditions could overlap too much, especially with Sleep Powder there. Now that I'm testing Knock Off, I'm not sure.

-------

After some testing, I like Knock Off a lot, especially with how bulky Venusaur is. Still up in the air about the WoW/TWave crap though >.> Help is appreciated.

Back