Help Huge Pokemon Move Legality Question

TheDeckWizard74

I got big beautiful eyes like this flareon
In the 2018 VG format you can use mega evolutions so I want to use Kangaskan, naturally I want power up punch but it's a transfer only move from XY/ORAS, I could use poke bank to get a kangaskan with power up punch to my Ultra Moon game and breed so that the kangaskan was caught in alola and has power up punch BUT the official Pokemon companies 2018 rules state you may only use moves that can be obtained through normal gameplay! Would using my method of legally breeding with Pokemon and moves from another game be considered "normal gameplay"? I would really like an official judges opinion on this because this could get me penalties if I was to use this and it wasn't legal but it would be amazing for my team if it does work.

The part about moves only from normal gameplay is stated in section 1.4 of the Pokemon companies official guidelines 2018 book

First off, Kangaskhan can't be bred Power-Up Punch. Breeding TM moves was removed in Gen V. So Kangaskhnan + Power-Up Punch is no longer legal.

Second, "obtained in normal gameplay" is just a fancy way of saying that your Pokémon can't have any moves or abilities hacked onto it (which is the only way a "+" Kangaskhan could have Power-Up Punch; another example would be something like Gardevoir with Wonder Guard and V-Create). If it's possible in-game (catching, leveling, breeding, tutors, official event Pokémon, etc.) it's legal for use. Unless you're using a cheating device to get your Pokémon or traded for a Pokémon with specs outside of legal bounds, you're most likely A-OK.

That said, "legal" and "legit" aren't necessarily the same thing. A hacked Pokémon can still be legal if its stats, where and how it was caught, ability and moves are within legally released bounds. For example, a 6IV Ditto which is genned from a cheating device to be from Kalos with Limber and with stats and moveset within legal bounds is not legit, but it is legal. Additionally, if used for breeding, any children are not considered legit, even though they were legitimately obtained through manual breeding, simply because their parent is not legit. Just be mindful about this if trading for Pokémon, since people want to know if what they're getting is hacked.

Back