How to win with a deck that can't win

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
So the other week I decided it was time for me to actually play in a tournament, probably my last for the season. Although I traded my playset of catchers and most valuable cards to create a deck because I had convinced myself to quit, I dug out the greatest treasure I had ever built:

Pokemon:

2 Victini V blast
2 Fliptini
2 Chansey DEX

Trainers

4 HTL
4 Pluspower
4 Switch
4 First Ticket
4 Level Ball
4 Skyla
4 Random Receiver
3 Float Stone
1 Escape Rope
2 Ultra Ball
2 Virbank
3 Juniper
1 Comp Search
1 Energy Search

Energy:

9 Psychic
4 DCE

So here it is, the best T1 deck in the format. Entirely designed to win if you hit every single heads. Given the fact that I don't own a weighted die, I tech PlusPowers and Hypnotoxic Lasers so that I don't have to luck sack as hard. There's also a high Switch count, the deck has the most problems with switching to the most suitable attacker. And since the deck can't win without going first, I played 4 First Ticket. To wrap it all up, we have the glorious Skyla engine. I set the deck up so that Skyla can eventually lead to any card in the deck. You need a Chansey? Have an ultra ball. You need an energy? Here's your energy search. Of course, I have Computer Search for them hard to reach areas. It's kind of like those Swiffer products that all those old ladies seem to endorse. But you know, Ace Specs love to get prized, so I try not to rely on it too much. Oh yeah, and Juniper is only if you need like 3 cards for the donk. Skyla can only get you 1 piece of the puzzle. Because these supporters suit the deck the most, I play 4 Random Receiver and no other supporters, guaranteeing me the one I need. I love how I actually thought all this out.

When I got to the event, I told all of my friends my idea. Of course everyone wanted to help. Each and every one of us pitched in to create one bad deck. It reminded me of that one episode in Yu-Gi-Oh, how everyone had those friendship marks, and how Tea brought them all together. You know, that's funny, my nickname is Tea. Just pronounced differently. Anyway, eventually we made the deck, and I signed up seconds before registration ended. The pairings were up lickety-split, and finally it was my time to shine.

R1 Vs. Klinklang

So Klinklang is one of my hardest matchups, considering V-Blast Victini only works against the Klinks, and even Chansey can take care of them easier with a HTL/Virbank combo. Obviously I would have to go for the Chansey. But to my demise, my opponent laid down 3 basics right from the start. See, what's funny here is that I was relying on the fact that people would realize that starting with one basic, given the fact that it has a significant amount of HP, is better than starting with two because of the popularity of Landorus and Kyurem. Oh well. I went first, but I could only deal 100 damage with V blast Victini. Eventually I realized there was no way to come back from not hitting the donk, but I kept playing for fun, losing in the end.

0-1

R2 vs Weavile

My hand here was terrible. I couldn't even set up a T1 anything. I got a strong Chansey, but with only two turns of using it, I had hit 4 tails. He just swept me with Darkrai. I even changed dice between every roll!

0-2

Lunch break. I chatted with all of my friends, told them about my sucky life...and then one of them showed a stroke of kindness. No matter how much I refused, one of my best friends bought me a sandwich. But not just any sandwich. An ice cream sandwich. I gobbled up the heart attack smooshed between two more heart attacks with passion. I could feel its fattening powers surge within me. My luck was renewed. All of my troubles, all of my worries, they all seemed to be gone. It was time for my big debut as a Pokemon player.

R3 vs. Absol

I started with Chansey. My hand had everything it needed. A computer Search, a Hypnotoxic Laser, two PlusPowers, a Juniper, and a Switch I could burn. All that was left was the Fliptini. Of course I could get it with Juniper, I had 6 cards that could get them. I also had to go first. My opponent called tails, and I rolled the die promptly. As it was about to land on tails, I felt a cold feeling in my stomach. The ice cream sandwich saved me, because right there in front of my eyes was a heads. She flipped over an Absol. This game was mine. I had to hit 3 heads in a row, but I had ice cream sandwich on my side. I played out my whole hand, got my DCE with Computer Search, and used Juniper. Off of it, the best thing I got was a Virbank. No Fliptini. Had my luck really run out? At least the Virbank decreased the heads I needed to hit to two, but I played it out and hoped for the best. First roll...heads. I've come this far. Second roll...heads! I tried not to laugh or cry, but this was the happiest moment in my entire life. Although I had to wait five minutes for a match slip.

1-2

R4 vs. Klinklang

Ouch, not again. I couldn't pull off a turn one donk. But I did mange to get a ton of KO's. With Laser stalling, I KO'd a regular Cobalion, and got double heads off of V Blast to KO a Victini EX in one shot! I already had a 3 prize lead. I used my one-of Escape Rope to draw In a Klink. I was so close, I could smell my Victory cup. All I had left was the Conalion EX. I got all of the PlusPowers I was accumulating and played them, as well as a Hypnotoxic Laser, and retreated into my Chansey. With the PlusPowers and HTL, all I needed was one heads with Chansey. First...tails. Second...tails?! After that, he got off a Max Potion and healed everything, and I couldn't pull off any more attacks. But hey, I came close!

1-3

R5 vs. Terrakion

Well, I guess this was the last game. He flipped over Terrakion to my Chancey. I suppose V Blast Victini would be easier here, but I couldn't draw into it. I played down a Hypnotoxic laser and hoped for the best. But right of the bat, I hit 4 heads! I guess it's like they always say; when life gives you lemons, Continuous Tumble over all of them and laugh at their crushing defeat. Erryday I'm Tumblin'. ERRYDAY

2-3

How exactly did I go 2-3 with a deck that can't win? Well, I realized that maybe I should play in the next format. Pokemon is in my blood. So was that ice cream sandwich. Man, was that delicious. I'm so fat, I'm sorry.

Also, I should mention that in a fun game I donked my friend's Darkrai deck. Be careful for this deck at worlds, I'm sure everyone's gonna netdeck it and play it. I'm famous, worship me.

Props:

Teamwork
Victini twins
Chansey
Not quitting this game
Friends
Justin Sanchez for being 1 point off of his invite
One of my friends for getting second with my second favorite deck, Garbodor
Most importantly...Ice cream sandwich.

Slops:

Not hitting the one heads to prove I can win without donking

Cake101

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Actually, I probably only faced meta decks. The one Absol was probably Darkrai, I just donked too soon to find out. Same with the Terrakion, I knew the guy played Fighting Garbodor last tournament, so he was probably playing that. I consider Weavile a meta deck, just because it isn't high tier doesn't mean that it isn't an existing archetype. In this format there really aren't any viable non meta decks, save some Garbodor/big basics variants.

Gistica

Hit me up for any questions about Competitive Play
Does this mean....that Matryoshka is coming back for another season?! Osnap, Pokemon just got real.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Glace said:
Ruining peoples' dreams, eh?

I don't just ruin them, I tumble on them. Over and over. Continuously.

Gistica said:
Does this mean....that Matryoshka is coming back for another season?! Osnap, Pokemon just got real.

Heck yes. Gotta win me that second Regional. Who needs worlds.

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan
Is this what you've been doing with your life? We haven't talked in forever. I come on to see that you've been away all this time just to come back now and show off this deck along with your results using it?

I approve.