Discussion How to Stop Lucario GX

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say if you asked me as of right now (deck-wise as you said), Espeon-Garb is still a deck being played today, and Espeon's Psychic with a Choice Band would knockout Lucario-GX.

I've only played this deck a couple of times though. I was playing Zoropod against it, and I never wanted to leave the Lucario in 2HKO damage, since it would just get another KO using it's GX attack. And even if you use Mew-EX, they'll probably have another attacker to immediately take it out like Zoroark-GX or Lycanroc-GX with a Strong Energy. I'd think if you played Parallel City right after you knock Lucario out with Mew-EX, then Zoroark would have less of a chance to KO your mew.

That's honestly all the info I got and I don't want to risk giving you bad advice or suggestions. Do remember that the deck is fairly new so there might be more kinds of answers to the deck later as the metagame develops.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
I just have a few matches agaisnt Lucarios, I always focus on the riolus on the bench (My deck run 4 guzmas so I constantly have guzmas in hand) thats the best strategy for me right now, with out Rioules on bench they sometimes are stuck cause the Lucarios can only do 30 and nobody charge up for the second attack, I almost try to not hit the Lucarios due the Gx attack unless I could take it down with 1 Hit KO

So probably the Goliposod/Garbodor should be good due the constantly use of Guzmas and Lucario patners most of the time are Lycanrock and Regirock, so you can hit them for weakness and Garbodor for Lucario

Gwenom

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say if you asked me as of right now (deck-wise as you said), Espeon-Garb is still a deck being played today, and Espeon's Psychic with a Choice Band would knockout Lucario-GX.

I've only played this deck a couple of times though. I was playing Zoropod against it, and I never wanted to leave the Lucario in 2HKO damage, since it would just get another KO using it's GX attack. And even if you use Mew-EX, they'll probably have another attacker to immediately take it out like Zoroark-GX or Lycanroc-GX with a Strong Energy. I'd think if you played Parallel City right after you knock Lucario out with Mew-EX, then Zoroark would have less of a chance to KO your mew.

That's honestly all the info I got and I don't want to risk giving you bad advice or suggestions. Do remember that the deck is fairly new so there might be more kinds of answers to the deck later as the metagame develops.

That was really well put. I don't have any experience with Espeon-Garb, but I'll give it a shot. I've struggled a few times with Lucario GX on PTCGO, but this deck will do until we see more counters to Lucario GX.

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
My main man Garbodor is a nice counter deck, If you need a quick card to put in your deck, I'd slip in a Mew-EX.

Gwenom

Aspiring Trainer
My main man Garbodor is a nice counter deck, If you need a quick card to put in your deck, I'd slip in a Mew-EX.
When I played Mew EX in my Golisopod/Zoroark deck at regionals, it became more of a hassle than of help against most of my opponents. I had plenty of misplays, but its low HP really put me in some tough spots, even though it was needed against Buzzwole and others. If I had more time to practice, I would of instead taken Golisopod/Garbodor to Portland and my record could of had different results as well.

I just have a few matches agaisnt Lucarios, I always focus on the riolus on the bench (My deck run 4 guzmas so I constantly have guzmas in hand) thats the best strategy for me right now, with out Rioules on bench they sometimes are stuck cause the Lucarios can only do 30 and nobody charge up for the second attack, I almost try to not hit the Lucarios due the Gx attack unless I could take it down with 1 Hit KO

So probably the Goliposod/Garbodor should be good due the constantly use of Guzmas and Lucario patners most of the time are Lycanrock and Regirock, so you can hit them for weakness and Garbodor for Lucario
Thanks for the insight! I forgot how annoying Acerola can be if you can't knock out Lucario on the first turn. Also, Golisopod/Garbodor can help prevent annoying abilities and stop the use of devolution spray as well. I wish I knew this before Portland Regional. It could of really helped me out. Still a fun experience!

Last edited by a moderator: