How to Start a Tournament

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
Ok, so as the name suggests, I am trying to start a PTCGO tournament in the same vein as the Pokebeach monthly tournaments, but for the theme format. Mods, is this allowed, and what would be the best way to do this?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm not a mod. You'll want to ask TCG competitive play staff.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
@Brave Vesperia
@Tapu Lele

I run the monthly tournaments but do not have any authority outside of that. These are the moderators of the competitive play forum; they are better off asking this question to. I don't want to say one thing and then have them say another.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
@GamePhoenix I received word back on the Tournament policies. Although there are no formally written rules, but we ask that your tournament do the following
  • Do not ask for personal information when having users sign up for a tournament bracket
  • Do not require users to utilize an external site for the tournament. Using Challonge for posting a bracket is fine, but users should be able to follow the tournament entirely on the PokeBeach websie
  • Keep the tournament short and concise. Preferably withing a month's time span. Two weeks would be gold.
  • As such, the deadlines for the tournament must be strictly met. Find a way to handle matches that are unable to occur. If you'd like, you can refer to PokeBeach's monthly PTCGO tournament rules for handling this situation.
We hope that your tournament operates smoothly. It might take a lot more work managing than you originally thought, so make sure to set aside much time to plan and manage tournament operations.

Personally, I would recommend using a week's time span for signups. Then use that information to create a Swiss-round style Challonge tournament bracket. Post a picture of the bracket on Pokebeach, and give members 3-4 days to complete each match and report back. Whatever you plan to do, make sure the participants know the timing and exact schedule of the tournament so they can plan accordingly.

Last edited: