Guide How to Calculate Speed

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Can Mega Alakazam with Timid nature outspeed a Choice Scarfed Excadrill?
If my Bisharp got paralyzed, what can he outspeed?
My opponent used Agility with his Mega Metagross. Can he outspeed my Choice Scarf Garchomp?

Speed is one of the most important factors in competitive battle. In most cases, we can simply use a simulator to figure out our Pokemon's speed stat and compare it with the opponent's speed stat. However, when one of the sides uses Choice Scarf or a boosting speed move such as Agility and Dragon Dance, things tend to get a little complicated.

First of all, you must know the Pokemon speed stat. Usually you can simply use an online simulator but If you don't use one from any reason or you just want to know, here's the formula:

Stat = ((Base Speed Stat * 2 + IV + (EV/4)) * Level / 100 + 5) * Nature

Lets take Bisharp for example.
Bisharp's base speed stat is 70. 70*2=140
Our Bisharp speed IV's are 31 so: 140+31= 171
We gave Bisharp the max amount of EV's which is 252. Each 4 EV's give us 1 stat point and that is why we need to divide the EV's by 4 : 252/4=63.
171+63= 234
Bisharp's level is 100. 100/100=1 thus we really can just skip to the next step.
234+5= 239

Bisharp's speed stat is 239 with no boosting nature, item or move.

If our bisharp is Jolly, we need to multiply the result by 0.1 and add the result to Bisharp's stat
239*0.1= 23.9 (In Pokemon, always round down and not up) =23
239+23= 262

252 EV's Jolly Bisharp's stat is 262

Now for the point of this quick guide: Ever wonder what the heck it means that your Pokemon speed has raised by 2 stages? what these stages even mean? then here it is:

The stages:
+6 Stage = *4
+5 Stage = *3.5
+4 Stage = *3
+3 Stage = *2.5
+2 Stage = *2
+1 Stage = *1.5
0 Stage = *1.0
-1 Stage = *0.66
-2 Stage = *0.5
-3 Stage = *0.4
-4 Stage = *0.33
-5 Stage = *0.28
-6 Stage = *0.25

Some common items moves statuses and abilities:
Choice Scarf= +1 Stage = *1.5
Tailwind= +2 Stages = *2
Dragon Dance= +1 Stage = *1.5
Rock Polish/Agility/Autotomize= +2 Stages = *2
Unburden= +2 Stages = *2
Swift Swim/Sand Rush= +2 Stages = *2
Paralysis= -6 Stages = *0.25
or simply:
Speed rose: +1 Stage = *1.5
Speed sharply rose: +2 Stages = *2
Speed fell=-1 Stage = *0.66
Speed harshly fell=-2 Stage = *0.5

So for example, if I have a Bisharp and it is Jolly with max speed EV's, and he holds a Choice Scarf, then I know that my Bisharp's speed is: 262*1.5=393
Now lets say that my Bisharp got paralyzed. Then I know that my Bisharp speed is 393*0.25= 98
Meaning that although I might get paralyzed, I could still outspeed any Pokemon with less than 98 speed such as Mega Slowbro. You don't have to use these calculation in every situation but sometimes, it can be useful

Hope it helps you a bit more for your next competitive battle or team building. :)

Any comments/suggestions/corrections are welcomed.

Last edited:

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
I do want to note that Paralysis is a different modifier than normal speed boosts. Paralysis and +6 to Speed will actually cancel out while Paralysis and -6 to Speed will put you at *0.0625 or 1/16th of your normal speed (rounded, ofc).

Also, certain hold items flat out halve speed (though they generally don't see much competitive use) and can stack with both Paralysis and speed boosts/reductions.

cellabi

Turn your trusty frying pan into a drying pan.
Wow, this really helps! Thanks for posting this. I'll be referring to this once I get back into competitive VG.