Discussion How to beat Night March

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Y'all are forgetting about Jolteon-EX. While it can be Lysandre'd around if you run a one of JirachiXY67 they have to puzzle of time for the DCEs not Lysandres and target whistles.
Or you just get a single DCE and 1 Lysandre with puzzle of time and laugh at your opponent.

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah but how frequent is that of they want an explosive start?
From experience, right when you flip up basic Pokemon to start, a good night March player has a game plan they follow for each different match up. Grant it a lot of Night Marchers play the deck without understanding what they are playing.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
I played at NC states and there was very little NM played - and the few that did - did not top cut. The reason to this is I think the difference between the carolinas region (SC also had no NM see success/top 8) and other regions, its the meta. Many players at NC/SC played decks that were quite anti-nm: Trev, Vespiplume, Speedtina, Toadtina, Jolteon-ex variants, etc. Ultimately it depends partly on how much your area is willing to field nm hate as well, the more nm hate that is played - the less likely nm is able to go through a field without any problems - making it harder for to survive all the way to top cut. Yes you might still lose one series vs nm by playing nm hate, but if everyone is playing nm hate then I can guarantee you that nm will not simply waltz its way through. This means your region can not be satisfied by playing "safepicks" like YZG

Mao999

Aspiring Trainer
the natural counters of night march are a few, and equally powerful!
Greninja break (Stopping him it's hard, and you need a rain of hex maniac to do so),
seismitoad/bats, my favourite deck of all times, night marh have to strike hard from the first turn, the item lock is fear! (Bats too are fear)
and seismitoad giratina, blocking dce and stadiums is almost auto loss

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Another option to counter NM is Jolteon EX whose Flash Ray attack prevents future damage from opponents' Basic Pokémon.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Promo Jirachi can be good against NM. You won't do much damage, but you'll disrupt them significantly. Xerosic is also good (both options will hurt them).

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
Y'all are forgetting about Jolteon-EX. While it can be Lysandre'd around if you run a one of JirachiXY67 they have to puzzle of time for the DCEs not Lysandres and target whistles.
Most NM decks are running vespiquen lines to deal with jolteon. While it definitely handles the NM portion well, it's useless once they hit you with the vespiquen.

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Most NM decks are running vespiquen lines to deal with jolteon. While it definitely handles the NM portion well, it's useless once they hit you with the vespiquen.
I would disagree completely... the group of guys I went with to the past 2 state championships combined saw over 17 Night March decks combined and not a single one ran Vespiquen... and the 4 that were in Top 8 in Wisconsin didn't run Vespiquen.

And to further disagree with you, a Jolteon EX with a Muscle Band one shots Vespiquens too.

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
I would disagree completely... the group of guys I went with to the past 2 state championships combined saw over 17 Night March decks combined and not a single one ran Vespiquen... and the 4 that were in Top 8 in Wisconsin didn't run Vespiquen.

And to further disagree with you, a Jolteon EX with a Muscle Band one shots Vespiquens too.

Hmm. Odd meta in those areas then. Ohio and the surrounding areas have been fully prepared to deal with Jolteon for months with a vespiquen line.

And yes, it can one shot vespiquen, but that's not a good prize trade at a 1 for 2, not to mention the 2 turns required for energy attachment to a jolteon, with only a single turn for a vespiquen.

JungleBeatz

Financial Genius
Vileplume AOR + Forest of Giant Plants
Jolteon EX GEN
Trevenant XY + Wally
Quick Giratina (Toad/Tina or Reshiram ROS/Tina)
Megaphones / Banette ROS (tool concealment) + Crobat PHF
Jirachi PR
Assault Vest
Pyorar FLF (lol?)
Silent Lab (shutting off their speed)
Wobbuffet PHF (shutting off their speed)
Ninetales ROS (Stadium Lock)
Hex Maniac
Lucky Turn 1 Judge/Red Card

The list goes on. There is plenty of cards provided in the format that can beat this deck.

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm. Odd meta in those areas then. Ohio and the surrounding areas have been fully prepared to deal with Jolteon for months with a vespiquen line.

And yes, it can one shot vespiquen, but that's not a good prize trade at a 1 for 2, not to mention the 2 turns required for energy attachment to a jolteon, with only a single turn for a vespiquen.
If they only run one Vquen and you kill it with Jolteon EX your night marchers still cant atack it next turn though

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
If they only run one Vquen and you kill it with Jolteon EX your night marchers still cant atack it next turn though
Who runs a 1-1 line of vespiquen? 2-2 is possible and they could prize a piece, but they're also commonly running puzzle of time now, so even knocking out one pair isn't a guaranteed win. I've just been playing a ton of Jolteon variants, and it sounds great on paper, but there's a million different ways of dealing with it.

WastedSkyPirate

Aegislash-EX can be a big help against Night March. A good NM player will prioritise Hex Maniac and attack with Joltik but Aegislash can still throw a wrench in their plans.

That actually makes me wonder how metal decks might do in the current format. They seem to have gone out of fashion recently but could be due a resurgence?

Last edited:

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
Well at NC states a quad aegislash ex deck made top cut, so its certainly doable. Aegislash + fury belt can make it difficult for NM to take the KO - especially running multiples

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Well at NC states a quad aegislash ex deck made top cut, so its certainly doable. Aegislash + fury belt can make it difficult for NM to take the KO - especially running multiples
One of my ties at Wisconsin was because I was able to stall out an Aegislash deck (I ran Vesplume) with a 1 Toxicroak EX tech which actually is really awesome in a lot of match ups

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
While I understand why someone plays toxicroak in vespiplume, a deck dedicated entirely around aegislash could (and did at NC) get around it [It beat VVs at nc].

Moist Socks

Youngster Joey
I got 4th at Ontario provincials with night march. The problem with nightmarch is that it is heavily reliant on items. A turn 1 item lock while having at least 2 attackers ready to go and things get difficult. having a hex/ lysandre (depending on the type of lock) in hand without using cards like vs seeker and trainers mail isn't always possible. if you want to deal with nm and have a chance at everything else, try trevenant break or vespiquen vileplume.

Dariannigro

Aspiring Trainer
Ok im not gonna come on here and say hope they prize this and dead draw into tht because thats not in your control as the opponent but as a Vespiplume Top 4 Player at states i will tell you this. Shaymin based decks like Night March and Vespiquen Vileplume have 1 or 2 weaknesses. Aegislash being the first and more counterable as you can hex around it but the main one being turn 1 Hex Maniac. If you get hexed playing a shaymin based draw deck it is rough without a perfect hand. So run more Hex like 2 max probably and then VS seeker and battle compressor should be in most lists so that helps grab it plus trainers mail and now random receiver reprint could help coming up. Then again if you go second then you could still be screwed so that coin flip is crucial which makes me a little disliking of the format but whatever. Also the new Barbacle I see being huge in most decks that have bad night march matchups

UFO

Aspiring Trainer
IDK why but in expanded I play first ticket and latios ex from roaring skies just because of night march

Ummmmmmm

First ticket is literally the most useless card in the format, due to the rule that you flip before drawing cards.
With this ruling, first ticket is completly unplayable.