How many versions of the Base Set Pikachu 58/102 (incl. reprints) are there?

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! I am currently doing some extensive research of Pikachu TCG cards. My question today is how many English & Japanese Base Set Pikachu 58/102 versions are there, including reprints?

So far I have discovered the following:

• Yellow Cheek Variant (1st Edition & Unlimited)
  • Red Cheek Variant (1st Edition & Unlimited)
  • Yellow Cheek Promo E3 Stamp
  • Red Cheek Promo E3 Stamp
  • Yellow Cheek PokeTour 1999
  • Yellow Cheek Base Set 2 87/130
  • Pokemon Snap Best Photo Contest
  • Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 13/40
  • Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 40/40
  • Intro Pack Neo Totodile Half-Deck 1/30
  • POP Series 2 16/17
  • Rising Rivals 112/111

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could confirm/deny the existence of any of these cards, as well as add to the list if applicable. Also, any relevant information about the history of some of the cards, particularly the Pokemon Snap Best Photo Contest, would be appreciated.

Thank you so much, I know it is a lot to ask.

SP

EDIT: I'm guessing there are four versions of the Pikachu Base Set 58/102: 1st Edition, Shadowless, Unlimited, 4th Printing? Is this correct? Also, how many editions of the Base Set 2 87/130 would there be? Sorry, I ask way to much of you :( Thanks!

EDIT: I also noticed a "ghost" edition of the Yellow Cheeks Base Set 58/102 (with the faint 1st edition symbol that is missing the 'd'), is there a "ghost" red version as well?

Yellow Cheek Variant
- Japanese Base (NO Rarity Symbol)
- Japanese Base (w/Rarity symbol)
- "Ghost/Phantom" 1st Edition Print
- 1st Edition (THIN Stamp)
- 1st Edition (THICK Stamp)
- Shadowless
- Unlimited Shadowed
- "1999--2000" Print
Red Cheek Variant
- 1st Edition (THIN Stamp)
- 1st Edition (THICK Stamp)
- Shadowless
Yellow Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this on its sheet)
Red Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this sealed in its packaging)
Yellow Cheek PokeTour 1999
Yellow Cheek Base Set 2 87/130
Pokemon Snap Best Photo Contest
Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 13/40
Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 40/40
Intro Pack Neo Totodile Half-Deck 1/30
POP Series 2 16/17
Rising Rivals 112/111

I think I got all of the Base Set ones...

Secret Pikachu said:
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could confirm/deny the existence of any of these cards, as well as add to the list if applicable. Also, any relevant information about the history of some of the cards, particularly the Pokemon Snap Best Photo Contest, would be appreciated.

Bulbapedia said:
CoroCoro Best Photo Contest

CoroCoro held another contest in May 1999 and invited readers to take interesting pictures of Pokémon from the recently released Pokémon Snap and submit them in the Best Photo Contest. The top five winning entries had their artwork featured on reprints from Expansion Pack. The exact number of these cards in existence is unknown.

EDIT: I'm guessing there are four versions of the Pikachu Base Set 58/102: 1st Edition, Shadowless, Unlimited, 4th Printing? Is this correct? Also, how many editions of the Base Set 2 87/130 would there be? Sorry, I ask way to much of you :( Thanks!

Yes, there are the 4 Base Set Print Runs. But the first 2 have Red Cheek versions, so there are 6 total. And then throw in the 1st Edition Thick and Thin stamped ones, and you get 4 more bringing you to a total of 10.
Base Set 2 only had 1 version.

EDIT: I also noticed a "ghost" edition of the Yellow Cheeks Base Set 58/102 (with the faint 1st edition symbol that is missing the 'd'), is there a "ghost" red version as well?

No, I do not believe there is a red-cheek error partially because I have never seen one but also because I think the error was corrected after the yellow-cheek run or only limited to the yellow-cheek cards.

@theducktamer~ I do believe that that is the rest of them.

Thank you! That is a HUGE help. There are so many cards! ;) The Pokemon Snap Best Photo Contest is very intriguing...

EDIT: Daelum, thanks for all of the help you've been giving me recently! I really appreciate it.

There's a Jumbo version of the Base card too.

To add info about the Snap contest one, as far as I know only one copy ever sold, and it went for £11,000 (which at the time was around $22,000)

Did the Jumbo really get left out? Huh, I though I saw it up there. Well add "TopDeck Magazine - Base Set Pikachu" to your list.

@DJ~ What about "This Guy Here" who reportedly bought his for $6,000?

He has 17 pages of photos at 10 photos per page. Ballpark 170 Pikachus. I did not look to see if he listed languages other than Japanese and English.

Daelum, right now I would still class that as an unconfirmed sale. I have no reason to doubt the guy, but I would still like some proof that they own the card.

Daelum said:
Did the Jumbo really get left out? Huh, I though I saw it up there. Well add "TopDeck Magazine - Base Set Pikachu" to your list.

@DJ~ What about "This Guy Here" who reportedly bought his for $6,0000?

Do you mean $60,000? If so, wouldn't that make it the highest price ever paid for a Pokemon Card? Unfortunately that link isn't working for me. I'm thinking I might need a Flickr account to be able to see it.

Secret Pikachu said:
Do you mean $60,000? If so, wouldn't that make it the highest price ever paid for a Pokemon Card? Unfortunately that link isn't working for me. I'm thinking I might need a Flickr account to be able to see it.

I do not have a Flickr account, and it works for me.

Daelum said:
Yes, there are the 4 Base Set Print Runs. But the first 2 have Red Cheek versions, so there are 6 total. And then throw in the 1st Edition Thick and Thin stamped ones, and you get 4 more bringing you to a total of 10.
Base Set 2 only had 1 version.

Excluding the Japanese versions, would there be 9 versions of the Base Set 58/102 Pikachu? (See my updated list below to add/remove anything if you wish :p)

Yellow Cheek Variant
- Japanese Base Set (no rarity symbol)
- Japanese Base Set (with rarity symbol)
- “Ghost/Phantom” 1st Edition Print
- 1st Edition (thin stamp)
- 1st Edition (thick stamp)
- Shadowless
- Unlimited Shadowed
- “1999-2000” Print
Red Cheek Variant
- 1st Edition (thin stamp)
- 1st Edition (thick stamp)
- Shadowless
Yellow Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this on its sheet)
Red Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this sealed in its packaging)
Yellow Cheek PokeTour 1999
Yellow Cheek Base Set 2 87/130
Top Deck Magazine - Base Set Pikachu
Pokémon Snap Best Photo Contest
Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 13/40
Intro Pack Bulbasaur Deck 40/40
Intro Pack Neo Totodile Half-Deck 1/30
POP Series 2 16/17
Rising Rivals 112/111

Am I missing anything from this list (aside from cards in other languages)?

Secret Pikachu said:

No I meant $6,000 - I added an extra zero on accident :p

Ewwww IE - you should change rather instantly :p

Switch to Google Chrome or Opera. Normally I would say Firefox, but recently I've been noticing that Firefox get's hacked a lot and ends up with a lot of issues.

Haha. I have used Firefox, didn't mind it. I'm not too picky over which browser I use, although maybe it is time to change if I can't see Flickr pages.

Secret Pikachu said:
Haha alright, that makes a bit more sense.

@ omahanime: What browser are you using? I am using IE9.

Firefox 14

Daelum said:
Ewwww IE - you should change rather instantly :p

Switch to Google Chrome or Opera. Normally I would say Firefox, but recently I've been noticing that Firefox get's hacked a lot and ends up with a lot of issues.

I have not experienced any issues, but I only use Firefox for PokéBeach.

If I am correct, there was only one printing (unlimited) of Base Set 2? Therefore there would only be one version of the Base Set 2 Pikachu 87/130 card?

Apparently there is a Base Set 2 87/130 with a gold border (instead of yellow) located here.

Edit: Alright, so far I have found 16 English Base Set Pikachu 58/102 cards (including reprints)!

Yellow Cheek Variant

- “Ghost/Phantom” 1st Edition Print
- 1st Edition
- Shadowless
- Unlimited Shadowed
- “1999-2000” Print
- Unlimited (printed in English on Japanese card stock, distributed in Japan)
- Yellow Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this on its sheet)
- Yellow Cheek PokeTour 1999
- Yellow Cheek Base Set 2 87/130
- Pokémon Best Collection CD
- Top Deck Jumbo

Red Cheek Variant

- 1st Edition
- Shadowless
- Red Cheek Promo E3 Stamp (You can get this sealed in its packaging)

Other

- POP Series 2 16/17
- Rising Rivals 112/111

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Unlimited (printed in English on Japanese card stock, distributed in Japan)" the same as "Pokémon Best Collection CD"?

It's just a shadowless yellow cheek Pikachu card on Japanese card stock, right?

EDIT: It's this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Pikachu-Sealed-CD-Promo-Base-Set-Art-Gem-Mint-/261066117983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8c0d35f#ht_500wt_1219

theducktamer said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Unlimited (printed in English on Japanese card stock, distributed in Japan)" the same as "Pokémon Best Collection CD"?

It's just a shadowless yellow cheek Pikachu card on Japanese card stock, right?

EDIT: It's this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Pikachu-Sealed-CD-Promo-Base-Set-Art-Gem-Mint-/261066117983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8c0d35f#ht_500wt_1219

Yes there is one but it's almost identical to the Shadowless english version.
I've got one of those

Back