Discussion How Many New Pokémon Do You Think Will be in Sun & Moon?

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
XY had only 71 new Pokemon . And this is the list and potential evolution line of the new Pokemon that we have know so far . :oops:

1. Rowlet
2. (2nd evolve of Rowlet)
3. (3rd evolve of Rowlet)
4. Litten
5. (2nd evolve of Litten)
6. (3rd evolve of Litten)
7. Popplio
8. (2nd evolve of Popplio)
9. (3rd evolve of Popplio)
10. Rockruff
11. (Rockruff 2nd evolve) I'm sure Rockruff evolve once
12. Komala
13. (Komala 2nd evolve) (all of bear evolve once just like Teddiursa,Cubchoo,Panchum)
14. Pikipek
15. (2nd evolve Pikipek)
16. (3rd evolve Pikipek)
17. Yungoos
18. (2nd evolve of Yungoos)
19. Grubbin
20. Charjabug
21. Vikavolt
22. (Dragon + Kid)
23. (Dragon + Daddy)
24. Drampa (Dragon + Grandpa)
25. (pre evolve of Bruxish)
26. Bruxish
27. Cutiefly
28. (2nd evolve of Cutiefly) (just llike flabebe)
29. (3rd evolve of Cutiefly) (just llike flabebe)
30. Togedemaru
31. Salandid
32. (2nd evolve of Salandid) (main Villain Team Pokemon always evolve once like Sharpedo,Camel,Drapion)
33. Kiteruguma
34. (2nd evolve of Kiteruguma)(all of bear evolve once just like Teddiursa,Cubchoo,Panchum)
35. Mimikkyu
36. (2nd evolve of Mimikkyu) (just like Gengar,Chendelier line)
37. (3rd evolve of Mimikkyu)
38. Fossil A
39. Fossil A evolve
40. Fossil B
41. Fossil B evolve
42. Tapu Koko (Gaurdian of Yellow island aka MeleMele)
43. (Gaurdian of Red island )
44. (Gaurdian of Blue island )
45. (Gaurdian of Green island )
46. Solgaleo
47. Lunala
48. Mashadow
49. Magearna

We almost reach 71 new Pokemon of XY . Not to mention Dolphin,Sea Cucumber,Snowman & Ball Monkey in those believable rumors .

How many new Pokemon we will see in SunMoon . Sugimori said Gen 7 will back to simplicify like Gen 1 during XY release . Since MeleMele island represent Pokemon Yellow (another 3 island represent Pokemon Red/Green & Blue ) . Mimikkyu is Pikachu copy too . So many thing from Gen 1 appear in SunMoon . Maybe we will get 150 new Pokemon just like Gen 1 . What do you think ? :confused:

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I wouldn't add any relatives to Bruxish, Drampa, Cutiefly, the bears and Mimikkyu, as well as the fossils, since neither has been confirmed yet. It's also worth noting that generation 2 didn't have any fossils, so there may not be any this gen either. The only evolutions we know for sure (so far) are Rockruff, Pikipek, the Starters and Grubbin, though assuming Yungoos is the "early rodent" it can be assumed it will evolve once too. In total I'm hoping for ~120 new Pokémon and hopefully a few new Megas too!

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
though assuming Yungoos is the "early rodent" it can be assumed it will evolve once too. In total I'm hoping for ~120 new Pokémon and hopefully a few new Megas too!

Yungoos is confirm to evolve once at Chinese Teipei Pokemon event . Someone capture it and see it can evolve once .

If we get 100+ Pokemon . I will very very happy .

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm not so sure we'll go back to having larger batches like 1st, 3rd, and 5th gen, but after the criticism towards the low number of Pokemon, I think we'll have more than XY. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the 90-120 range.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Again, I would avoid adding evolutions for Salandit, Mimikkyu and Kiteruguma, just based on patterns from other generations, since we don't know whether or not Mimikkyu will be a Litwick/Gastly type of Pokémon or if it will be a standalone type of Pokémon, or if Mimikkyu will evolve or have a pre-evolution (a 2 meter tall bear, seems a bit big for evolution tbh). All in all we have 31 confirmed Pokémon for Sun and Moon, 35 if counting the other Island Guardians and Marshadow. Hopefully they'll listen to the criticism given about Gen 6, and add about (my previosly mentioned) 120 new Pokémon!

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Wimpod,Bounsweet,Comfey,Mudsdale reveal today this make me feel like SunMoon will have 100+ new Pokemon . Maybe even 151 Pokemon like Red Blue . We still have 4 month ahead before release date and New Pokemon never stop debut . This is crazy .

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I'm expecting around 110 new Pokemon, but I'd like about 140 to make up for XY's horrid lack of new Pokemon. But if we get less than 100... I will be very, very angry. :mad:

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
We have 25 known Pokemon in Sun and Moon. We know the starters and Pikipek have 2 evos and Yungoose has 1. We know Rockruff evolves but we dont know how many times. So we're at 34 confirmed Pokemon. That's almost half of XY's new additions, with 4 months left until release that's a lot of the dex to know about if the gen is that small.

Mitja

veteran smartass
If one considers the hypothetical additional stages of the revealed Pokémon so far, as well as more legendaries of the groups, it's pretty exact at 50 after todays reveals..

So at this rate, given that we have more than 4 months left to release, I think it's quite safe to assume we're getting more than 100, unless their marketing department has gone completely insane and they'll show us every single new Pokémon beforehand.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
we can logically assume another 3 guardians and Marshadow so that puts us as 38 confirmed - extremely likely. But yeah this number assumes no evolutionary relatives for any other revealed Pokemon but just going by official reveals

KiKi

Team Harmony
If one considers the hypothetical additional stages of the revealed Pokémon so far, as well as more legendaries of the groups, it's pretty exact at 50 after todays reveals..

So at this rate, given that we have more than 4 months left to release, I think it's quite safe to assume we're getting more than 100, unless their marketing department has gone completely insane and they'll show us every single new Pokémon beforehand.
I mean. That exactly what they did for GEN VI. A month before release, every single Kalos Pokemon as well as all Mega Evolutions had been revealed in one way or another, save for Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, and Mega Lati@s.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
XY had only 71 new Pokemon

99 new Pokemon, 20 being added with ORAS release.

#MegaEvolutionsAreNewPokemonToo

I wouldn't mind to see another 100 new Pokemon, whether or not that's split into Mega Evolutions or brand new Pokemon lines doesn't matter much to me.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Here's the current list with my own "speculative stages" added.

gen7 speculation.png

-(Fire/Fighting is not a serious part of this image, but I'd love to see the outrage that would ensue XD and personally, I think 3 of the Water&Grass starters being pure is just as OK/boring as Fire having Fighting three times so far..)
-Dark/Flying for Pikipek, because 1) I'm expecting it to be like Fletchling, in that its Normal type changes to something else for the latter 2 stages. 2) Dark, because it it would be more "grounded" than some other elemental type like Ice or Electric. 3) Dark, because it would explain why we have seen no new Dark type line whatsoever so far.
-for the early bugs (assuming Cutiefly is an early-bug at all and not a mid-game one), it's typical for there to be 2 of the same "level" (same amount of stages and stats and same method of evolution), so it'd be cool if this time, Grubbin is a Caterpie/Weelde/Wurmple/Scatterbug-level, but Cutiefly is a Ledyba/Spinarak/Kricketot-level, hence 2 stages.
-Rockruff seems an obvious candidate for a proper return of Tyranitars unique combo (we need more of that, instead of just "newwww combos"), due to its implied werewolf-features.
-Komala, 3 stages, because 1) I feel like it's Alolas Slakoth-counterpart, 2) Normal could use a new 3-stage line with decent final stats again.
-Bruxish seems like it's an evolution of something less ugly (think Glameow->Purugly), while being a kind of Sharpedo-counterpart.
-Salandit.. I'm hoping so bad that it is a Sandile-recycle rather than a Helioptile-recycle. I've been waiting for this combo so freakin long, and we haven't had a primary Poison type with 3 stages since Nidos+Crobat.. plenty of cool 2 stagers, but no 3 stagers.
-Bounsweet, not sure where it's going...maybe Grass/Flying? But I'm expecting some radical design twist for the evolution like Exeggutor rather than it being yet another simple and predictable 2-stage Grass-line.
-Comfey... screams Flabebe 2.0, but that'd be too similar especially this soon, so I'd say, instead of 3 stages, this one actually DOES get the Grass-type it is screaming for.
-Wimpod. A GIANT ISOPOD POKEMON OMG. This is exactly what I had in mind for my next psedo-legendary-fakemon. A giant isopod, with Bug/Water as a serious contrast to the usual Dragons... I doubt that Wimpod will actually be a pseudo-legendary, but I really wish it would be.
-Bewear is genius XD. With how it has such a hilarious lore though, I doubt that it has a lower stage, since we'll likely encounter it in this stage anyway...so I call single stage on this one.
-Mudsdale, gives me Bouffalant-vibes in terms of stats and stages...but I'd prefer it being more like Rapidash/Zebstrika/Gogoat, with a lower stage yet to be revealed. Glad to see pure types are still present in a new generation. Glad to see Ground not just being tacked onto something else again as well.
-Drampa, has to have at least one lower stage IMO. And if it happened to be pure Normal initially, it'd clear up why it has Normal as its primary type in the first place, considering all the flavor and footage about it is pointing to its Dragon type...
-Mimikyu. Don't see this one evolving (if only Raichu was as hyped as Pikachu, it would be awesome for its evolution to be a fake Raichu-costume, but this isn't the case unfortunately..), more like a Spiritomb-recycle?
-Tapu Koko. Everyone is expecting it to be part of the legendary trio at least (if not quartet to go along with the four islands), and the obvious chocies for the other 2 are the other two types of Terrain-moves: Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain. Hence the third one being pure Fairy EXACTLY like Tornadus' elemental type being Flying--->Flying/Flying=pure Flying.
-Marshadows name has been leaked long ago anyway, and the primary Psy-type is a given, but for its secondary type, Poison is jumping and screaming as the best candidate for several reasons (only type without legendary, alchemy-associations, more interesting element for a doomsday/eclipse-theme than the typical Dark..)
-Magearna, seems like a fit as a fifth artificial guardian for the fifth artificial island of Alola, considering it also has a body that can close into a simpler shape, as well as having a secondary Fairy type.

Gray11

Aspiring Trainer
I really want 120+ new Pokemon, but would be happy with at least 100 too.

I will be sad if there's less than 100. :(

Orphalesion

Aspiring Trainer
#MegaEvolutionsAreNewPokemonToo
#

No, no they are not. They are temporary form changes, just like Sky Shaymin or the different forms of Moletta.
They don't have numbers, they don't have pokedex entries. They are not new pokemon.

So when I say I want at least 100 new pokemon, I don't include any mega evolutions or other form changes. 100 new pokemon with dex entries and all.

MrCoolViking

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I guess just above 100 new ones. But I hope there will be 151 new ones (like Gen I), since that would be a wonderful tribute to Pokémon's 20th Anniversary! :cool:

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Here's the current list with my own "speculative stages" added.

-Wimpod. A GIANT ISOPOD POKEMON OMG. This is exactly what I had in mind for my next psedo-legendary-fakemon. A giant isopod, with Bug/Water as a serious contrast to the usual Dragons... I doubt that Wimpod will actually be a pseudo-legendary, but I really wish it would be.

I'm 100% sure Wimpod is base on Horseshoe crab not an Isopod

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I may as well post my speculation on the exact families.

1. Rowlet- Grass/Flying
2. (Rowlet's evolution)- Grass/Flying
3. (Rowlet's final form)- Grass/???
4. Litten- Fire
5. (Litten's evolution)- Fire
6. (Litten's final form)- Fire/Poison
7. Popplio- Water
8. (Popplio's evolution)- Water
9. (Popplio's final form)- Water/Fairy
10. Yungoos- Normal
11. (Yungoos' evolution)- Normal
12. Pikipek- Normal/Flying
13. (Pikipek's evolution)- Normal/Flying
14. (Pikipek's final form)- ???/Flying
15. Grubbin- Bug
16. Charjabug- Bug/Electric
17. Vikavolt- Bug/Electric
18. Rockruff- Rock
19. (Rockruff's evolution)- Rock/Dark
20. Komala- Normal
21 (Komala's evolution)- Normal/Grass
22. Cutiefly- Bug/Fairy
23. (Cutiefly's evolution)- Bug/Fairy
24. (Cutiefly's final form)- Bug/Fairy
25. Togedemaru- Electric/Steel
26. Bruxish- Water/Psychic
27. Salandit- Poison/Fire
28. (Salandit's evolution)- Poison/Fire
29. Mimikyu- Ghost/Fairy
30. Bewear- Normal/Fighting
31. (Bewear's evolution)- Normal/Fighting
32. Wimpod- Bug/Water
33. (Wimpod's evolution)- Bug/Water
34. Bounsweet- Grass
35. (Bounsweet's evolution)- Grass/Flying
36. Comfey- Fairy
37. (Comfey's evolution)- Fairy/Grass
38. (Mudsdale's pre-evolution)- Ground
39. Mudsdale- Ground
40. (Drampa's pre-evolution)- Normal/Dragon
41. Drampa- Normal/Dragon
42. Fossil #1- Rock/??? (possibly Rock/Normal, Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison, or Rock/Ghost)
43. Fossil #1's evolution- Rock/??? (possibly Rock/Normal, Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison, or Rock/Ghost)
44. Fossil #2- Rock/??? (possibly Rock/Normal, Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison, or Rock/Ghost)
45. Fossil #2's evolution- Rock/??? (possibly Rock/Normal, Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison, or Rock/Ghost)
46. Pseudolegend first form- Dragon/??? (possibly Dragon/Fighting or Dragon/Bug)
47. Pseudolegend second form- Dragon/??? (possibly Dragon/Fighting or Dragon/Bug)
48. Pseudolegend final form- Dragon/??? (possibly Dragon/Fighting or Dragon/Bug)
49. Tapu Koko- Electric/Fairy
50. 2nd island's guardian- Fire/Fairy
51. 3rd island's guardian- Water/Fairy
52. 4th island's guardian- Grass/Fairy
53. Solgaleo- Psychic/Steel
54. Lunala- Psychic/Ghost
55. Marshadow- Psychic/Dark
56. Magearna- Steel/Fairy
57. Event Pokemon #2- ???
58. Event Pokemon #3- ???

Beyond this, there pretty much HAS to be at least one new Ice type line on top of that icy mountain, and we don't know any Dark types yet either, and there's probably going to be a few more Water type lines in the mix. That alone should push past XY, the question then is how much are they saving for the final game? Again, I think 90-120 range is about right.