How in the world do I find my supporters? Pokegear 3.0 vs. Random Receiver!

Best Supporter Searcher?

• Total voters

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Well, I'll say, it's about time that a thread about this controversy between which supporter search out is the best- Pokegear 3.0 or the newly released Random Receiver. Here are what each do just in case you don't know:

Random Receiver- Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Supporter card. Put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck. Trainer

Pros:
Never fails.
Is junk armable.
Gets a supporter.

Cons:
Reveals deck to opponent.
No choice of what Supporter you are getting.
Doesn't work under trainer lock

Pokegear 3.0- Look at the top 7 cards of your deck. Choose a Supporter card you find there, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck. Trainer

Pros:
A choice of supporter
junk armable
Searches for supporter w/o revealing cards

Cons:
Can fail
Doesn't work under trainer lock

Right now, the obvious choice looks like Random Reciever, simply because it doesn't fail. However, is it really the better choice? I favor Pokegear 3.0, but I really think the choice is based on your play style. I like Pokegear 3.0 because it gives you a choice w/o revealing certain cards in you deck. If you have a secret tech, it could be possibly revealed. Is there a rule against writing down the cards in your opponents deck? I'm not sure, but I doubt it, seeing you are able to write down their discard, hand, and your prizes.

However, Random Receiver never fails. You need a supporter late game. You use Random Receiver and get a Professor Oak's New Theory in the first 10 cards, and you draw into a great or better hand. Like N, Random Receiver may give you a higher chance of getting a supporter, but not the one you want.
What do you guys think? Answer the poll, and lets find out which is better!

(Note: There is another supporter search card,which is XTranciever. It is like Pokegear 3.0, except instead requires a flip instead of looking at the top 7 and you search you deck for any supporter you want. I did not mention because it is not played often, and Random Receiver and Pokegear 3.0 are better.)

Jirachi

Smile!
I'd much rather use random receiver. Though I really like Pokegear, it's hasn't worked sometimes. I think consistency wins here, since as you said it never fails. I think when you really need a draw supporter, I wouldn't really mind between having one or another. Pokegear is also good since you choose what draw you have, but sometimes you end up getting nothing.

Zorua

Zedd
Advanced Member
I'm still for using Pokegear. Although it really depends on the deck. If you're using a deck with maxed out Pokemon Collectors, Pokegear is the way to go because it would suck to get a Collector off Receiver when you need a draw supporter/hand refresh. Although if you're not using Pokemon Collector's, then I think Random Receiver would be the way to go.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
@ Jirachi
Exactly. Really, I think Random Receiver is great in decks with less supporters. A lot of decks these days do play 10+ supporters (or less but not much less) so 1/6 of most decks are supporters. Every turn. your deck gets smaller as you draw. On the first turn, you have around 1/4-5 of your deck is supporters (depending if some are prized.). Pokegear and Random Receiver both benefit off this, but Pokegear more because you choose. Reciever actually can fail, but the chances of that are slim unless its late game and you don't have any supporters left. Not likely, but possible if you wasted them away with junk arms, junipers, etc;

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Random Receiver is more consistent. In all my decks except those with Collector I plan to use Random Receiver.

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Personally, I'd use PokeGear 3.0. The reason for this is because Random Receiver is, like its name, random. With PokeGear 3.0, you get to choose what you get, which can be useful in getting a T1 Collector. Currently, though, most Japanese lists in a BW-on format play 4 copies of Random Receiver for consistency, so I expect it to be good in the future.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
Personally, I plan on never using Pokegear 3.0 once Random Receiver is out ever again. With the horrible luck that I tend to get I often whiff with Pokegear 3.0 even when I run 15+ supporters in a deck. Most of my personal lists tend to shift away from very many Collector anyway so its not a huge deal to draw into them (besides I find myself using all of my Pokegear 3.0 early game anyway so drawing Collectors is fine).

cf11

Aspiring Trainer
If your running collector pokegear

If your not running collector random receiver as you will get a draw card each time

alex

Miss the game
Both.

1 of Random Receiver, 1 of Pokegear. If you need a certain Supporter, Junk Arm for Pokegear, if you need any Supporter, Junk Arm for Random Receiver. But if your running Collector, don't run Random Receiver.

iisnumber12

Team UN (White)
Random Reciever is better most of the time. It really depends if you run Collector or Hooligans. Xtransciever is just bad.

venasour x

Now I'm in college :)
I run Random Reciever. I usually burn all of my Collectors whenever I can, so usually by turn 5 I have almost all of them in my Discard. Unless I truly need a better hand or need something important, I will Collector just to burn it. And my theory is that if most of the supporters in my deck are draw, and I have 1 Collector in the discard from being used, and 1 from a Junk Arm, chances are that I will get a draw supporter rather than one of the 2 Collectors I have in my deck.

Btw, never run XTranciever unless its Durant. Durant has room for it, and if they need a clutch Twins or some other random supporter, XTransiever can be a godsend. One of my friends got donked by Durant because of that card. XTranciever, take Seeker, Catcher up Tyrogue, play Seeker, DCE... Its over.

Rikko145

I put the "laughter" in "slaughter&
Put 2 of each in a deck and play about 2 dozen games, recording which ones were most helpful.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Random Receiver seems only good If you're running 4 Dual Ball's over 4 Pokemon Collector's to get into your Supporter more efficiently however If you're running 4 Pokemon Collector then stick with Pokegear 3.0. HGSS-On I'd go with Pokegear 3.0, BW-On I'd stick with Random Receiver.

Blui

lv85 paladin
I'll be using both, they are very good and help alot, PKGR for choice, RNDM RCVR for it's almost guaranteed search rate.

Ka$h Money

Aspiring Trainer
Random receiver is considerably more consistent than Pokegear. Slowly, Pokemon collector is being shifted out for the more consistent dual ball. It is so horrible to top deck a collector late on in the game. Dual ball on the other hand is fine as it's only a trainer and helps thin the deck in important late game exchanges.

It is horrible to whiff on a much needed draw supporter late game and hence since I expect more people to be using dual ball, I would expect Random receiver to be the pick, it's a no-brainer really.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I'd rather be garaunteed 2-3 Basics with Collector than risk only getting just 1 Basic with
Dual Ball and have to double my chances with Junk Arm just to try to get more at the cost of discarding 2 cards in hand when I could be playing that Junk Arm to get back a Catcher or a Switch in the Discard Pile to turn the tide of the game.

Ka$h Money

Aspiring Trainer
Card Slinger J said:
I'd rather be garaunteed 2-3 Basics with Collector than risk only getting just 1 Basic with
Dual Ball and have to double my chances with Junk Arm just to try to get more at the cost of discarding 2 cards in hand when I could be playing that Junk Arm to get back a Catcher or a Switch in the Discard Pile to turn the tide of the game.

The amount of draw support you have, you will almost always hit a basic you want even if you whiff on a dual ball.