Discussion How fast can you deck out?

Elray

Expanded Player
After getting over my habit of using Professor Sycamore too often, I got around to thinking: how fast can a player run through their deck? This is a purely hypothetical question, of course.
So, in the best case scenario (most ideal draws each turn), what is the minimum number of turns it would take for someone to run through their entire deck?
NOTE: Infinite coin flips would make this not very fun (1 Gyarados-EX (BKP) with all water energies is the first thing that comes to mind), so I'm limiting this to cards that have a limited number of flips (no cards that say "flip until you get tails").

In order to do this, we need to look at cards that can get other cards out of our deck. Cards like Battle Compressor (PHF) are perfect for getting rid of cards you don't need. Cards that let you discard other cards from your hand can be sort of useful, some examples being Acro Bike (PRC) and Ultra Ball. Remember: We don't need to get all of our cards in our discard pile, we just need to get them out of our deck. Cards like Professor's Letter and Roller Skates will get you many cards out of your deck at a time.

Pokemon:
(4) Unown AOR
(4) Oranguru (SUM)
(4) Rayquaza-EX (DRG)
(4) Shaymin-EX (ROS)

Trainers:
(4) Professor Sycamore (STS)
(4) Acro Bike (PRC)
(4) Trainer's Mail (ROS)
(4) Battle Compressor (PHF)
(1) Scorched Earth (PRC)
(4) Puzzle of Time (BKP)
(4) Ultra Ball (SUM)
(4) Roller Skates (XY)
(4) Professor's Letter (XY)
(1) Master Ball (ACE SPEC)

Energy:
(11) Fire Energy

I'm using Rayquaza-EX's Celestial Roar attack to discard cards from the deck, so only using this I would deck out in 12 turns by drawing a card and discarding 3 each turn (47/4≈12). Assuming that no Professor Sycamores are prized, we will have four turns of removing 11 cards each turn from the deck (draw card, Prof. Sycamore, Celestial Roar) for a total of 44 cards removed in four turns. This leaves 3 cards in our deck, which could easily be discarded by playing a Battle Compressor during any of the previous turns, but the game only ends the turn after you deck out, so our draw/Sycamore/Roar combo would *only* make us deck out after 5 turns. Note that this is only taking into account Professor Sycamore and a single Battle Compressor. Let's do some more math, taking into account all of our item cards:

**Battle Compressor (3 cards each for 12 total)
**Acro Bike (2 cards each for 8 total)
**Professor's Letter (2 energy cards each for 8 total)
**Roller Skates (3 cards each, 12 total)
**Ultra + Master Ball (1 card each for 5 total, as long as a Pokemon is in the deck)
**Scorched Earth is in play (2 cards per Fire/Fighting energy discarded).
**Puzzle of Time (total of 4 cards from the discard pile, use them to retrieve each Battle Compressor for 12 more cards discarded)

This gives us 59 cards of draw/discard support, meaning that by only playing our item cards, we can run through our deck in one turn. If we wanted to be more realistic and do this with perfect coin flips, we could get rid of Roller Skates and we would still have 47 cards of draw support. If some of our more useful cards got prized, we could still deck out through clever use of Oranguru and Shaymin-EX, as well as Rayquaza-EX's Celestial Roar, not to mention that this is without using any Sycamores.

Once again, the condition for losing a game is by being unable to draw a card at the beginning of your turn. Using the method I outlined above, the earliest a player can lose by decking out is Turn 2.

Not really sure why you would want to draw through your whole deck, but I thought I would point out two things.

-You have to discard something with these cards so you can't use what you discarded to discard other cards. Minor point, but might skew your numbers.

-Ultra/Master ball. You do NOT need a Pokémon in your deck. The deck is an unknown zone so you can play a card to search it even if you the player know what you are searching for is not there. The game does not know what's in the deck so there could be a Pokémon as far as the game knows.

You bring up a very good point. I suppose various energies could be discarded, as well as other Rayquaza-EX.

Using an Ultra Ball or a Master Ball to get a card out of the deck will only work if there is a Pokemon in the deck at the time of use. If there isn't one, then playing that card doesn't do any good (in regard to decking out).

You could probably pull off a turn 1 deck out if you really wanted to and got 'lucky' with your draws/prizes, turn 2 is definitely possible because I've seen people do it before when they weren't even trying for it.

the minimum is 2 turns cause you don't lose from deck out tell the draw at start of turn.

so quick break down
60 -6 for prizes -7 starting hand -1 first draw on first turn = 46
prof sycamore -7 = 39
4 each ultra/nest/level/heavy ball -1 x16 = 23
4 professors letter -2 x4 (-8) = 15
4 acro bike -1 x4 = 11
this gets us very close without using any poke abilities/attacks or expanded/unlimited cards with them we can easily get to zero left in deck

also deck and cover accelgor was a deck that was all about getting the deck down to about 3-5 cards and recycling those 3-5 cards so its a good example to look at.

Back