Help How Does Pokemon's Rotation Work? (Sorry, New Player)

Anthony Mooney

Aspiring Trainer
I usually play Legacy in MTG, so I am pretty unfamiliar with how rotation works in general. Yugioh does not have it. So, can someone explain to me how exactly it works, and when it happens?

Someone told me that it happens one block at a time, but does that mean that the XY series just goes away? I downloaded the TCGBase app, and is showing that some sets from XY are not allowed in standard, and some are.

Also, how does it work with Expanded? Same? Or does it have different rules?

Expanded is all the sets from Black and White onwards, except for a few banned cards such as Forest Of Giant Plants and Lysandre's Trump Card. Standard is currently XY Breakthrough onwards, and every year after the world championships in August, we have standard format rotation, where they take out some of the older sets to give the newer one more space to breathe competitively. That means that all the removed sets are still legal in expanded, but not allowed in standard unless they have a reprint in a later set (such as Lana, who was released in Burning Shadows, but has a full art in Ultra Prism). I would imagine that this year's rotation will be removing all of the XY sets (which is 5 sets and a mini-set), and next year's will be removing everything up to Crimson Invasion (Sun and Moon base, Guardians Rising, Burning Shadows and Shining Legends) which is 3 sets and a mini-set. Each year they tend to release 4 main sets and a mini-set so it's kind of equilibrium. Hope I helped!

I don't believe expanded will rotate any time soon, but I could be wrong. Rotation does happen every year mid-august after the world championships.

As mentioned in another thread, they like to rotate out blocks of sets centered around a certain theme and/or the previous generation. So for instance, one rotation rotated out every Plasma card, then another got rid of Black and White altogether, and the current rotation encompasses the BREAK era (BREAKthrough onward). Sets normally last about two years in Standard, after which they are rotated out.

One interesting thing to note, to clarify Chicken Nugget's statement, is that older prints of a trainer card are legal so long as they have a print from a current set. So for example, an Evosoda from XY Base Set (long since rotated out) can be used since it has a Generations print (a set which is Standard). Also, XY promo cards released from BREAKthrough onwards (that is, September 26, 2015) can be used, but not those from before (currently XY67 (Jirachi) and later, all SM promos, and McDonald's Collection 2016 and later).

Hello! I'm just going to start from scratch, so I don't miss anything (nothing against the correct answers that preceded me).

Pokémon is a bit odd as a TCG because of the number of formats/alternate rules one can use that are official. This page contains various official documents; I suggest you read at least a few of them. ;) It is where some of the more obscure bits come from. Some of what I mention will include the PTCGO: the Pokémon Trading Game Online, the official online version of the TCG. The two major categories are common to most TCG's, and so common that we don't even think about it most of the time:
  • Constructed: Build a 60 card deck using your own cards. Six Prizes.
  • Limited: Build a 40 card deck from the cards provided. Four Prizes.
Within the Constructed Format, we have the following divisions. I'll list where they are most common when describing them, or any other important notes.
  • Unlimited: All releases legal except those not meant for any form of actual play. This format is mostly used in truly casual places. On the PTCGO, this only encompasses cards from HeartGold/SoulSilver and later, as older cards do not exist within the game.
  • Legacy: This format consists of HS-era, Call of Legends-era, and BW-era releases. It is a fixed format, with no rotation and (currently) nothing banned. It was developed for the PTCGO and is not officially recognized outside of it.
  • Expanded: BW-era releases and later. This format is periodically used for major tournaments (like Regional Championships). Currently, there is a Ban List but it has never experienced any set rotation. It is unclear whether that means it is "due" or if it means they plan on never rotating out any sets (just banning problem cards).
  • Standard: The default tournament format. There are no cards currently banned in this format, and bans are rare (but not unprecedented). Here is a link to a quick spreadsheet with some basic stats for the Standard Format over the years.
  • Theme: This is an official format for the PTCGO; I am uncertain about the physical TCG. Not every pre-constructed deck is legal for this format, and it includes some online-only exclusives. Nothing is banned.
Within the Limited Format are many variations however precious few are used; Pre-Releases are the main form it takes, and you'll get what you need (both in terms of cards and information) should you attend one.

There are somethings best described as "alternate rules" that you can find in the official rules; they are not legal for Championship Series tournaments but are legal for side events at sanctioned tournaments. These are pretty obscure, but I'm trying to promote awareness of them.
  • 30-Card: Instead of the usual 60-card deck, players run with 30 cards. I forget how it changes the rules for Limited, but for Constructed Formats, it means 3 Prizes (instead of 6), and a 2-Copy Rule (instead of 4-Copy) for non-Basic Energy.
  • 2-On-2: Players have two Active Pokémon (instead of one) and a four Pokémon Bench. Deck size and Prize counts remain the same, and you still only get to attack with one of your Actives during your turn.
  • Team Battle: This requires four players, each with his or her own deck, divided into two-person teams. All four players play at once and... I can't remember the rest of the rule variants.
Rotation happens once per year, and Ban Lists are updated quarterly (about shortly before the new set releases). We find out what will rotate a month or two before it happens, but it is often pretty obvious.

As mentioned in another thread, they like to rotate out blocks of sets centered around a certain theme and/or the previous generation. So for instance, one rotation rotated out every Plasma card, then another got rid of Black and White altogether, and the current rotation encompasses the BREAK era (BREAKthrough onward). Sets normally last about two years in Standard, after which they are rotated out.

One interesting thing to note, to clarify Chicken Nugget's statement, is that older prints of a trainer card are legal so long as they have a print from a current set. So for example, an Evosoda from XY Base Set (long since rotated out) can be used since it has a Generations print (a set which is Standard). Also, XY promo cards released from BREAKthrough onwards (that is, September 26, 2015) can be used, but not those from before (currently XY67 (Jirachi) and later, all SM promos, and McDonald's Collection 2016 and later).

It's not just Trainers. Pokemon that are identical in every way that affects the card's function (so things like art don't count) to a card in a current set are also Standard-legal. As a couple of examples of old-ass cards that are legal, Base Set Caterpie and Weedle are identical in every way to those from Evolutions, so are legal in Standard. But they have to be completely identical. "Close enough" isn't good enough. For example, Evolutions Flying Pikachu is almost identical to the Rising Rivals one, but the new version's Resistance is -20, not the -30 of the original card, so the old one is not legal in Standard.

It's also worth noting that, generally, a Trainer that is functionally different from its current print is NOT legal. For example, while you could use a Base Set Switch, you can't use a Base Set Energy Retrieval, since its effect was different back then. The only exception is cards that have an official errata. (Currently these are Potion, Pokemon Catcher, Great Ball and Rare Candy.)

http://pokegym.net/index.php/current-standard-legal-card-list/ is a list of those older cards still legal in Standard.

http://assets24.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/tcg_errata.pdf is a list of official errata.

It's not just Trainers. Pokemon that are identical in every way that affects the card's function (so things like art don't count) to a card in a current set are also Standard-legal. As a couple of examples of old-ass cards that are legal, Base Set Caterpie and Weedle are identical in every way to those from Evolutions, so are legal in Standard. But they have to be completely identical. "Close enough" isn't good enough. For example, Evolutions Flying Pikachu is almost identical to the Rising Rivals one, but the new version's Resistance is -20, not the -30 of the original card, so the old one is not legal in Standard.

It's also worth noting that, generally, a Trainer that is functionally different from its current print is NOT legal. For example, while you could use a Base Set Switch, you can't use a Base Set Energy Retrieval, since its effect was different back then. The only exception is cards that have an official errata. (Currently these are Potion, Pokemon Catcher, Great Ball and Rare Candy.)

http://pokegym.net/index.php/current-standard-legal-card-list/ is a list of those older cards still legal in Standard.

http://assets24.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/tcg_errata.pdf is a list of official errata.

I didn't mention the Pokémon bit because of how extraordinarily rare that is. And yeah, the Trainer's effect has to be the same, but that's also rare that they're different (for instance, Pokémon Catcher was nerfed at some point; it didn't used to require the coin flip, making it very similar to Lysandre).

I didn't mention the Pokémon bit because of how extraordinarily rare that is. And yeah, the Trainer's effect has to be the same, but that's also rare that they're different (for instance, Pokémon Catcher was nerfed at some point; it didn't used to require the coin flip, making it very similar to Lysandre).

It's not that rare. There's probably more unique Pokemon from older sets allowed than there are Trainers. Of course, virtually none of them (aside from Surfing Pikachu, Caterpie and Weedle) are from before XY, but still, XY-Ancient Origins still counts, and thanks primarily to Generations and the McDonald's sets, there's a LOT of cards from that period allowed.

It's not that rare. There's probably more unique Pokemon from older sets allowed than there are Trainers. Of course, virtually none of them (aside from Surfing Pikachu, Caterpie and Weedle) are from before XY, but still, XY-Ancient Origins still counts, and thanks primarily to Generations and the McDonald's sets, there's a LOT of cards from that period allowed.

I think it is a matter of mindset; for the new player, "old cards" from XY still being legal is a big deal; to the non-newbie, its like "Oh yeah this contemporary card is still legal via reprint." ;)

Back