Question How Does One Start Competitively Battling?

Teenyvictini

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! I have been into the TCG card game for a while, but my first game was sun and moon. I got it in december, and since then has had basically the same team, my starter, and a few other pokemon with different types. I've taken an interest in watching the lately released VGC worlds videos on the official pokemon youtube channel, and now I think I'd like to start competitive battling or myself. My only problem, is I have no idea what I'm doing! I would be so grateful i you guys could leave some tips and pointers in the comments! Thankyou! -Victini

Start by looking into how to EV train your team and good EV/IV spreads & movesets for the monz you wanna' use.

I would highly recommend checking out the VG compendium. It will have answers to most of your questions, then if you have any more, respond here and I will do my best to help you out more ^w^

I second IV and EV training your Pokemon, as that's a huge part of the competitive scene. Getting yourself a 6 IV Ditto is a huge help, and learning the Poke Pelago glitch to leveling and EV training your Pokemon is a major time savor. (Just make sure you're using a physical copy of the game!) Here is a good compendium of competitive strategies for different Pokemon. Pokemon Showdown is a good way to try your teams out before breeding them, and for learning the metagame through practice. Cybertron is a great Youtuber for VGC. Stunfisk on Reddit is also a good resource, make sure you read the rules before posting. If you need any Pokemon, let me know as I have a ton I can breed for you.

Something you might need to do is start a new game on Pokemon and get yourself a batch of synchronize Pokemon with differn natures that way when you first encounter the legendaris you can get them with the right natures for your set. Of course you could also cheat and trade your way into perfect Pokemon like I've been told the top players do but whatever. Also if your gonna use poke showdown remember that the only real competitive battling is doubles and use the vgc 2018 to test our your teams.

Back