How Do You Store and Organize Your Collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zavtac said:
I personally store my cards by playability. I feel this way it is easier to find a card when I'd like to use it for a deck. I sort them in generally this way. Cards in top teir decks plus possible techs, useless cards and possibly playable cards plus trainers. I know there is a need to judge which categories cards go in, but I feel that this method works best. Hope this helped:)

I like this idea a lot for players.

I am surprised more people don't do this. :p

I'm a collector so organizing for playability isn't a concern for me. First I have an Ultra Pro Pro Binder that I use as my set binder, I'm collecting all U/C/R from Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures, Radiant Collection, and the Kalos Starter Set in it. This binder does not include ultra rares such as ex's or ace specs and definitely not secret rares. Those go in my Toploader Binder, along with all promo cards, reverse/holo cards from sets I'm not collecting in my other binder, and cards for my favorite Pokemon that I'm specifically collecting which now are the Eeveelutions, Zorua, and Mew.

The rest of my cards, including all cards from sets pre-Plasma Freeze and my spares from the sets I'm now collecting are stored in a BCW cardboard box divided by set. In the box, spare holo rares, reverses, and ultra rares are kept in toploaders, non-holo rares and one of each card from sets I'm not collecting are always sleeved, while the rest of the bulk goes without sleeves. All cards I have are documented in a Google Drive spreadsheet (actually two, one legacy one for everything before BW from when I collected years ago and then a new one for BW-on) that has sheets for each binder showing what I have in them as well as what I WANT in them, allowing me to easily make want lists using the filter function, and then more sheets for my spares to see what I have available for selling/trading.

- Junk cards and energies go into my Elite Trainer Box, organized by set/#
- The rest of my collection goes into my binder, organized by set (oldest/newest) - rares/ultra rares/favorite cards are sleeved, others aren't.

Right now I'm more focused on building up my collection before playing. Eventually I'll probably organize by playability or by decks.

Finally took the plunge into a binder! Not that big of a deal, just for my Ultra Rares and Radiant Collection cards, which I'm collecting (I collect all cards of course, but I'm aiming to collect every card in the RC). First page is EX FAs, second page is FAs (both EXs and Supporters), third page is promos, fourth is pre-BW Ultra Rares and Ace Specs, and the last three or four are for the Radiant Collection. I'm just using some old Ultra Pro card pages from a binder that my mom picked up ages ago from a local Goodwill, but eventually when I get around to it I'll pick up a bunch more at Target. :)

I always preferred binder pages instead of top loaders, even though top loaders provide better protection. To keep my holo-rare, reverse-holo rare, and ultra rare cards in mint condition, I use deck protectors and binder sleeves. For my other non-holo rares, uncommons, and commons, I use ziplocks stored inside of a box (aren't ziplock bags PVC free and good for storage?).

I keep my commons, uncommons and rares in order in a binder, I don't put the Ex's and secret rares in the binder since the cards nearest the snaps tend to get damaged by the snaps. I put those in card sleeves then those into hard shell sleeves so they don't warp from changing temperatures.

I used to collect cards when I was younger, which I mostly have in a plastic bag, only got 1 card that was really rare(Corrected Blaine's Charizard) but they've all been damaged over the years. I started collecting again in Aug of Freeze, Storm, Boundaries and Blast.

I put reverse holos in front of regulars except for holos, I put reverses in the back facing backwards, I don't put two different cards in one sleeve.

For duplicates I mark down how many duplicates I have, I keep 1 regular and 1 reverse of each card then put all duplicates into a plastic storage box I got from Meijer. I put 1 of each Ace Spec in the binder but put duplicate Ace Specs in a book under a bunch of other large books to keep them from warping.

The only card I'm keeping more then one copy of is Dragonite(3) from Plasma Freeze which I got 2 back to back out of the first 6 booster packs I bought of the B&W set in Aug along with 2 ex's.

With each BW set, I organized each set in a seperate white 1" school binder, and in the front outside film. I put all four packs from the set in the sleeve so I'd know what set the binder was for. And any extra rares/ultras (EXs), I put in a seperate for trades.

I organize them by set in a binder, by number, leaving empty spots for cards I don't have yet.

I've made a few changes to my card storage, namely in terms of sleeves. Instead of the penny sleeves I kept all cards in before, I now stick all cards in at least a KMC Perfect Fit sleeve. RHs, holos, ultra rares, special cards I'm collecting (like the Eeveelutions, Zorua, and Mew), etc then all go in a KMC black Hyper Mat sleeve as well (with the inner sleeve upside down sealing the card in) That then either goes in an Ultra Pro Pro binder or a toploader in a toploader binder. The Ultra Pro Pro binder has my Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures, Radiant collection, and Kalos Starter Set collections (plus some other random cards to fill space) sorted by number though minus the ultra rares from them, with RHs replacing the normal or holo card as I get them. Then there's the toploader binder for the Pokemon I'm collecting, holos that I've swapped out with RH from the set binder, ultra rares, and so on.

Here's a rather large picture from that binder (albeit with one card out of place). I really like how the toploader cards look in the black-backed sleeves, makes it look more professional!

Shrike said:
I've made a few changes to my card storage, namely in terms of sleeves. Instead of the penny sleeves I kept all cards in before, I now stick all cards in at least a KMC Perfect Fit sleeve. RHs, holos, ultra rares, special cards I'm collecting (like the Eeveelutions, Zorua, and Mew), etc then all go in a KMC black Hyper Mat sleeve as well (with the inner sleeve upside down sealing the card in) That then either goes in an Ultra Pro Pro binder or a toploader in a toploader binder. The Ultra Pro Pro binder has my Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures, Radiant collection, and Kalos Starter Set collections (plus some other random cards to fill space) sorted by number though minus the ultra rares from them, with RHs replacing the normal or holo card as I get them. Then there's the toploader binder for the Pokemon I'm collecting, holos that I've swapped out with RH from the set binder, ultra rares, and so on.

Here's a rather large picture from that binder (albeit with one card out of place). I really like how the toploader cards look in the black-backed sleeves, makes it look more professional!
I was just wondering, are Ultra Pro binders any better than regular ones? Like, are they better for keeping cards safe? Right now I keep my most prized cards in Ultra Pro Matte Blue sleeves and in a toploader (never actually bought any, just gotten them from trades :p Some of them are really scratced up and have permanently stuck-on tape, but I put them in there to be safe, not to look great). All of my other Ultra Rares are kept in my binder, in the same sleeves that I put in my toploaders, and in card sleeve pages.

Also, I just completed my Radiant Collection the other day, so I'll post pics soon!

I keep my ultra rares, secret rares, holo-rares, and rev. holo-rares in UltraPro deck protectors in a binder, and all of the rest in ziplocks in a big box separated by set or in special card boxes.

Put in a basic sleeve, or game sleeve. Then throw them in a box.

I don't consider them valuable. If the value skyrockets in 10 years, and my cards are in terrible shape, I won't care because I would have thrown them out by then.

Just reality.

If I was a dealer looking to make money, sure I would keep them in good shape. But for now, they will be Mint Condition for at least 2-5 years even with the way I store it. I don't want to start worrying about silly stuff like which cardboard I use for the box and what temperature I keep my house at to prevent damage to my cards. They aren't the Mona Lisa or anything.

Frost Mage said:
I was just wondering, are Ultra Pro binders any better than regular ones? Like, are they better for keeping cards safe? Right now I keep my most prized cards in Ultra Pro Matte Blue sleeves and in a toploader (never actually bought any, just gotten them from trades :p Some of them are really scratced up and have permanently stuck-on tape, but I put them in there to be safe, not to look great). All of my other Ultra Rares are kept in my binder, in the same sleeves that I put in my toploaders, and in card sleeve pages.

Also, I just completed my Radiant Collection the other day, so I'll post pics soon!
The Ultra Pro Pro Binders have side loading pages so they're more secure and cards won't accidentally fall out if you turn it upside down. The pages are also bound in such a way to alleviate problems that can comes with using O-ring binders, and they just plain look nice. However, the downside to me now is that you can't expand how much they hold and with my binder full... I have no space for XY next month! I either need to buy another Ultra Pro binder or switch to a thicker D-ring binder with standard sheets. Or see if I can find nice side-loading sheets that fit in a normal binder...

JasonRox said:
Put in a basic sleeve, or game sleeve. Then throw them in a box.

I don't consider them valuable. If the value skyrockets in 10 years, and my cards are in terrible shape, I won't care because I would have thrown them out by then.

Just reality.

If I was a dealer looking to make money, sure I would keep them in good shape. But for now, they will be Mint Condition for at least 2-5 years even with the way I store it. I don't want to start worrying about silly stuff like which cardboard I use for the box and what temperature I keep my house at to prevent damage to my cards. They aren't the Mona Lisa or anything.
It depends on why you're into the cards in the first place. If you're just into it to play, then I suppose storage doesn't matter to you. But I'm the exact opposite in that I don't care about playing and just collect because I like the art. Value doesn't matter so much to me and the protection is to preserve the look of the card while keeping them easily displayed, hence why the only difference between an average reverse and an ultra rare full art for me is whether the double sleeved card goes in a standard binder or a toploader.

Shrike said:
Or see if I can find nice side-loading sheets that fit in a normal binder...
You might be happy to hear that Ultra Pro offers side loading sheets now!

Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ULTRA-PRO-SIDE-LOAD-9-POCKET-PAGES-SHEETS-NEW-/380651190220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a09437cc

SoulWind said:
Shrike said:
Or see if I can find nice side-loading sheets that fit in a normal binder...

Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ULTRA-PRO-SIDE-LOAD-9-POCKET-PAGES-SHEETS-NEW-/380651190220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a09437cc

Took them long enough!

Now I have to contemplate if I should go with these or stick to my top loading ones -_-

bagoly14 said:
SoulWind said:

Took them long enough!

Now I have to contemplate if I should go with these or stick to my top loading ones -_-

I have been using top loading for over 10 years, have boxes and boxes of binders, never had an issue.

Okay, I have an issue everyone. As most of you will have the same problem. I have tons and tons of cards, how does everyone afford to store all their stuff ?. It would cost me £££ hundreds to store everything, any cheaper options ?.

TheTPCProductionz said:
Okay, I have an issue everyone. As most of you will have the same problem. I have tons and tons of cards, how does everyone afford to store all their stuff ?. It would cost me £££ hundreds to store everything, any cheaper options ?.

I use one of these for my top loaders and bulk cards: Cardboard Box

I use a box like the one SoulWind linked to for most of my bulk, keeping the rest in tins. I have other tins for my toploaders. Binders are for holos and for making sure I have a nice copy of each card that I have for all the various sets. It's not particularly expensive (the cardbox box is a nice deal for all it holds, and the tins I got from buying cards in the first place; binders and card sheets I got a good deal on from my last job, too), but then, I don't really know how many cards I have compared to other collectors, probably not nearly as many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back