XY How Do You Feel About the Friends and Rivals?

98Greener

tree noises
So for this generation we don't get one rival. Not two, not even three.
We have four rivals this time, ladies and gentlemen.
So who are they? The rivals are as follow:

Serena/Calem: Your first rival is your opposite gender of the main character.
They are your next door neighbor, and have a dream to become a powerful Pokemon trainer.

Shauna: Another rival is Shauna, an energetic girl who's extremely friendly and outgoing.
She seems to enjoy all of the things you find on your journey.

Tierno: He's caring and wants to use his Pokemon to form the ultimate dance team.
He gets easily distracted by watching the opposing Pokemon because he wants to try and incorporate the Pokemons move into dance moves.

Trevor: He is the one that gives you the Pokedex when you start your Journey.
Very curious about Pokemon and the region Kalos, he is very intelligent and wants to complete the Pokedex first.

So those are our rivals.
I want to know who your favorite rival, and what your general thoughts on them are.

Here's some pictures of the rivals:

Shauna
shauna.png

Tierno
tierno.png

Trevor
trevor.png

zappy800

loves dat rain<3
RE: Thoughts on Kalos Rivals?

My favorite of the rivals is Serena she is kinda hot lol well in an anime way. I guess they are all decent but trevor is kinda ugly and the only other person who should be your rival.

Stephen Williams

Always training is a Never ending Struggle
RE: Thoughts on Kalos Rivals?

I like the fact that it is different. I'm very interested to see how it will all work itself out and what pokemon each will have. I would have preferred a rival like Blue or Silver you know very douche baggish/ jerk just because it gives me extra incentive to win against them were as with friendly rivals I just get annoyed sometimes like with Barry(very annoying type of personality). I just can't wait to get my hands on this game and see how everything goes with these rivals.

Drohn

Wild War Dance
RE: Kalos Rivals and Friends

I renamed the thread since not all objectives of the rivals/friends are confirmed.

I really like all 3 characters.

Shauna looks energetic and enthusiastic. I can imagine her as a strong rival.

Tierno seems like a fun guy. It is said he loves to dance. He seems more like a good friend and I think he will have a different goal than the playable character.

Trevor looks intelligent. I'm not sure what his goal would be. He looks like the type that wants to learn as much as he can. He doesn't seem like a potential champion to me. He might want to become a Pokémon Researcher.

zappy800

loves dat rain<3

Drohn said:
I renamed the thread since not all objectives of the rivals/friends are confirmed.

I really like all 3 characters.

Shauna looks energetic and enthusiastic. I can imagine her as a strong rival.

Tierno seems like a fun guy. It is said he loves to dance. He seems more like a good friend and I think he will have a different goal than the playable character.

Trevor looks intelligent. I'm not sure what his goal would be. He looks like the type that wants to learn as much as he can. He doesn't seem like a potential champion to me. He might want to become a Pokémon Researcher.

Forgot serena drohn. I think Trevor wants to catch every kalos pokemon.

Drohn

Wild War Dance

I like both playable characters as well. I will be playing the male characters so Serena will be my rival. She looks like a nice and interesting character. I'm hoping for her to give me a good challenge. I can see her as the strongest of all rivals/friends.

As for the other characters, it has been confirmed that Trevor wants to complete his Pokédex; Shauna wants to discover her dreams; and Tierno wants to create a dance team.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer

I think Shauna will be like Belle, but instead of hanging around the regional prof. She'll just be a wannabe GL or something.
Trevor will go to areas ahead of you, but will be quite weak, so he'll get his mon KO'd easily, putting him behind.
Tierno wants to create a dance team.
Serena/Calem will be the generic supportive rival like Brendan/May, but you'll get to fight them before the E4, instead of halfway through the game.

Anyone else notice that the girls names begin with S and the boys T, but Calmes doesn't? Makes me think GF secretly want everyone to play has him.

Neil

That Homosexual

The only one i'm not a big fan of is Trevor. I really don't like his hair, oh my lord it is atrocious! I also don't really like the default design for Calem.. he looks so.. generic, maybe it's just me.. I really like Shauna though, i'm always a fan of girl characters though. I hope she has a big role in the story.

Maybe all of the rivals with get a Mega Pokemon to make things challenging, can definitely see that happening.

zappy800

loves dat rain<3

Just read that as the rivals going super saijin or however you spell it. Anyways Calems good being generic it encourages people to use customization.(as if we needed a reason)

nightkeeper

defending the night

Although Tierno isn't hugely into battles, I hope he still is a trainer that we can battle every now and then.

Calem/Serena will most likely be the toughest rival as they are our counterpart to the one we choose.

Hope Trevor turns out to be strong as well. Like said before, I think he will end up as a researcher, using battles as a way to understand the nature of pokemon.

Drokas

Who cares?
RE: Kalos: Rivals and Friends

We have a lot of characters to battle with in this game (not counting regular NPC's and the Gym Leaders/E4).
There's Shauna and Calem/Serena (they were confirmed on the demo), Professor Sycamore, Diantha and, of course, Team Flare. If Tierno and Trevor join the party... xD
But anyway, I don't have a favorite yet. It might change when I get to know their personalities a little better.
And I do like all of them in their unique ways:
- Shauna is cute and it looks like she'll be kinda silly and overly enthusiastic;
- Tierno seems really nice and goofy and I find that likable;
- Trevor looks more cold (in a "factual" manner) and yet very curious and intelligent and even though I'm not the biggest fan of his hairstyle, it does suit him somehow;
- Calem/Serena will probably be like all the main rivals in the past games, I dunno. It would be cool if they would also change their outfits from time to time.

And like I mentioned before, there's also Diantha. Okay, she's not in the same group of friends that you meet at the beginning of the game but it was already confirmed that we will occasionally battle her and that we can trade Pokémon with her as well. She's okay... fashionable in a classy vs. costumey way but I prefer seeing girls with longer hair. =P (I do like Alexa though)

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Shauna- she looks very hyper and full of life character.I hope she wont be annoying and
loose her pokemon to team flare or something.. she looks like the girl that cry
for someone to help her from some reason

Tierno - Hey Tierno what is it you got there ? a Mega ring ? OH it is just a watch.. oh
well.

Trevor- Poor guy who thinks he has a chance against me in completing the Pokedex
he reminds me of cheren a little bit because of his personality

Serena/Calem- I wonder if they are going to change their cloths during the story..
more intersting do we get to change their hairstyle eye color and skin tone
as well as their names?

Lanturnman

Lanturn is not even my favorite pokemon....
Serena or Calem - I'll love it if he or she is as evil as Silver or Blue. I'd really like it if the rival is a total A*^&*%E, it makes beating them feel as the sweetest revenge.

Shauna - She seems to be a cute, somewhat overenthusiastic girl. I hope she will be able to beat you, cute and deadly.

Tierno - I hope he will be a strong trainer if you battle him... I like him tough, he seems nice and I love his shirt.

Trevor - The moment I saw his hair,... NO, just no... He reminds of a very annoying child I know. He looks intelligent indeed, but at the same time very arrogant.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I think the reason why you get 2 starters, is because there are 5 of you and one of you gets 2.

Pikachu19

Aspiring Trainer
Blob55 said:
I think the reason why you get 2 starters, is because there are 5 of you and one of you gets 2.

!!!
That'd be pretty cool. It makes perfect sense! I can't believe I missed that concept.
Kalos: Serena/Calem, you, Trevor
Kanto: Tierno,Shauna, you

Judging by their designs I thought certain trainers would have to start out with certain pokemon.
Tierno - that ice cream pokemon who's name I can't remember at the moment
Shauna - The lovely Gothita
Trevor- the amazing Ralts

I still think we'll be seeing those pokemon on their teams though. :eek:
And Trevor will probably have the new and improved Gardevoir! but thats just my theory. haha

As for the characters themselves all I can really judge them on is their designs.
The only one I'm particularly disappointed with is Calem. But since I plan on playing as him I can fix that. haha

Gumball

The Best Goomy in Town
I'm not too keen on the amount of friends/rivals in the game, but it should be fun. It might even make the game more challenging!

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
I like their designs and I'm excited for the main rivalry, but I feel like B&W suffered a bit from overly obvious writing for Cheren and Bianca. Like they couldn't open their mouths without hitting you over the head about what their character types were supposed to be. Hugh was similar but at least had multiple qualities (rage, friendliness, protectiveness), and I feel like you saw less of him.

Sometimes less is more. I eventually want to get to my own adventure, not sit around listening to Shuana being The Enthusaistic One and Trevor being The Analytical One and Tierno being The Loveable Oaf. But we'll see; maybe the writing will be approached differently since there's more characters?

Pikachu19 said:
Blob55 said:

!!!
That'd be pretty cool. It makes perfect sense! I can't believe I missed that concept.
Kalos: Serena/Calem, you, Trevor
Kanto: Tierno,Shauna, you

I was wondering about this too, how the starters will be split up. I think it's also possible that someone in the posse won't wind up training pokemon competitively, like the opposite-gender characters in HG/SS and D/P/P, or Wally for most of R/S/E

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Pikachu19 said:
Judging by their designs I thought certain trainers would have to start out with certain pokemon.
Tierno - that ice cream pokemon who's name I can't remember at the moment
Shauna - The lovely Gothita
Trevor- the amazing Ralts

I still think we'll be seeing those pokemon on their teams though. :eek:
And Trevor will probably have the new and improved Gardevoir! but thats just my theory. haha

As for the characters themselves all I can really judge them on is their designs.
The only one I'm particularly disappointed with is Calem. But since I plan on playing as him I can fix that. haha

Why would Shauna and Trevor both get Psychic types?

Vulpix's Tales

Aspiring Trainer
I remember the time when we had only one rival who was appearing during our journey from time to time. Now the game evolves and we get more and more characters who are our friends or/and rivals.

I like Shauna the most. She is energetic but doesn't seem to be annoying. I wonder what kind of pokemon she is going to use. Maybe some cute ones like Skitty? If she is a rival, then she will probably get one of the 3 starters.

Banshee

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty confident that Tierno and Trevor aren't rivals, just friends. You don't actually battle either of them.

After watching thedecepticons livestream for quite a while (there were loads of users from this site also watching so I'm sure someone can back me up), The player, Shauna and Serena/Calem are the three of the group that receive a Kalos starter, and also a Kanto starter later on. Tierno and Trevor turn up late to the meeting with the professor and miss out. I know it doesn't mean that you definitely don't battle them, but even their character descriptions make it sound like you won't, and from all the time I watched they didn't battle you, or appear to have any Pokemon with them.