How do prereleases work?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
There is one happening this weekend, and I am hoping to attend. However, I've never been to one before, and I don't know what they entail. I'm aware there is an entry fee; that's no problem. Unfortunately, that's the limit of my prerelease knowledge. Could anyone help me?

Charizardian

Meleon!
First, after you sign up, they give you a Prerealse stamped card (You can't use it thoguh), and a Legend Maker Pin. Then, you just wait around until it begins. Then they give you 6 packs of cards. You must then choose cards to make a 40-card deck (energy provided). These cards are yours to keep afterwards. Then, you compete in 5 rounds (The number may vary, I dunno). Only 4 prize cards are used. In the end, people can win 1st, 2nd or 3rd and win a certain amount of cards. Everyone gets 2 packs of cards. You also enter a raffle were you can win cool merchandise.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Some notes off Charizardian's post:

1. Special energy cards, including Darkness and Metal, are not provided to you (unless you get them in your packs).
2. Not all pre-releases have raffles, although most do.
3. At Legend Maker pre-releases (and probably future pre-releases), you get a deck box.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
So would this be Draft format then? I've never played that way.

Also, six packs means 54 cards.

I take it that also means really crappy decks, and suddenly bad things turn awesome. Or at least usable. Right?

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
54 cards to which you usually use around 20-25ish for a deck. The rest is energy.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Okay thanks.

jynx

Aspiring Trainer
How much do you pay for pre-release?

Does anyone know where I can get pre-release in United Kingdom?

I really want to have a look because I haven't seen them before.

Charizard

Pokemon Master
In my country is RM 65...so i think you just need to divide by 4:rolleyes: maybe you can check in the pokemon tcg official website there, they might list the place where held pre release:D

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Also for a pre-release, you can use more than 4 of a pokemon. That rule is for pre-releases ONLY though.

We do our pre-releases a little different here. We dont just open our 6 packs and use all the cards from them. I cant remember what the format is called for it but we simply have 5 people per table (or so), each open a pack and each take 1 card. Then pass the rest of the booster to the next person, who takes 1 card and passes to the next person. This is done until all the cards in the booster is gone, then you open the next booster and repeat. This is done so everyone has a chance of making a reasonable deck, unfortunately there do come times where you have to pick between 2 good cards and the decision is difficult. At the end of the pre-release, each per receives 4 extra boosters for free. So in total, it's 10 boosters for $30AU which is very good.

edit: Almost forgot. You dont have to make an exact 40 card deck. The minimum cards in a deck for a pre-release is 40, but you can have up to 60 I believe. I will need to check that but you can definately have more than 40 cards per deck.

Charizard

Pokemon Master
*shock*now only i know can use more than four copies in pre release, before that I used four even i have six of the same pokemon cards:shy: I shall try to include more than four copies in the up coming pre release:D

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Before you use more than 4 copies, please check with your pre-release organiser. Not many people know that you can officially use more than 4 pokemon per deck and I dont want to be the target of people who got disqualified for using more than 4, even though it is legal.

Kirlia7755

Avid Fan
RE:  How do prereleases work?

Charizardian said:
First, after you sign up, they give you a Prerealse stamped card (You can't use it thoguh), and a Legend Maker Pin. Then, you just wait around until it begins. Then they give you 6 packs of cards. You must then choose cards to make a 40-card deck (energy provided). These cards are yours to keep afterwards. Then, you compete in 5 rounds (The number may vary, I dunno). Only 4 prize cards are used. In the end, people can win 1st, 2nd or 3rd and win a certain amount of cards. Everyone gets 2 packs of cards. You also enter a raffle were you can win cool merchandise.
I think that you get the pin of the expansion of the prerealese

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I am wondering after you get signed up can you keep the cards but not battle with them and use something else or do you have to use the pre release cards?:)

Umbreon666

Honorer of the Eon's

jynx said:
How much do you pay for pre-release?

Does anyone know where I can get pre-release in United Kingdom?

I really want to have a look because I haven't seen them before.

In the USA its 20$ :(

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

xxashxx said:
I am wondering after you get signed up can you keep the cards but not battle with them and use something else or do you have to use the pre release cards?:)

When you sign up and get your packs, you use only those throughout the entire event. Basic Energy are provided. Afterwards, you get to keep the cards. That's why there's an entry fee. :)