Strategy How Competitive Will Gen 7 Be?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Some thoughts on the currently new Pokemon :

The Koala: Normal type has a bad reputation in OU. I hope it changes its type as it evolves (if it evolves). The ability is new, however it is not so different than Magic Guard- only weaker in that it only affects certain status conditions.

The Rock Dog: Pure Rock type is something new (I think) and a fast one would be also new and great for both OU and VGC. Based on its design, this dog Pokemon might be very fast, at least for its type. This also could lead to an introduction of a new Rock type move. A new Rock type move is desperately needed, as the current ones are either weak or have a low accuracy.

Lunala: This thing might find itself in OU, if it does, it would probably contribute to the continuation of Dark Spam. In VGC, it depends if they will allow RL again.

The fact that this gen is based of Hawaii may lead to a buff to the weather based moves. I really hope it doesn't.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Pure Rock type is something new (I think)
Pure Rock certainly isn't anything new, but our best choices at the moment only give us Gigalith, Rampardos, and Regirock. I'd always wanted to use Rampardos should it have had a higher speed stat, and maybe Iwanko will be able to fill a similar spot.
As far as Rock moves go, Rock Slide is our only really good one. Stuff like Head Smash and Rock Blast always require a gimmick on the Pokemon's end to work right. Would love to see some variety, maybe something that can inflict status (paralysis, or even freeze can work given the right set up).

Until we know more, it's impossible to say how competitive the gen is. Knowing just the types doesn't give us anything to go off of.
The Sun mascot's new move seems really impressive though, and if he turns out to be a physical-oriented Pokemon then he will definitely be powerful (maybe he can get Moxie as a hidden ability, that'd only add to it).

TheRedGyrados

Been at the Lake of Rage for 16 years now
A nice rock move would definitely be wanted, paralysis would definitely be good for a Rock type, because they have less speed than most types. That might work

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
We also need to wait and see what those bracelets are. They might be a similar concept as Mega Evolution. In that case, the metagame would change dramatically.
By the way, was it confirmed anywhere that S/M will have Mega Evolutions at all? I know it is pretty obvious, but if they are going to introduce a new similar mechanic, they might drop the Mega Evolution idea. Though it is really unlikely.

TheRedGyrados

Been at the Lake of Rage for 16 years now
You're right about the mega evolutions but maybe the brackets are just something similar to Primal Reversion just different.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well we've got some kind of super move in this game it seems, that should have a major impact on the metagame. Still no word on Mega Evolutions but I can't imagine they'll get rid of them, super moves and Megas are probably related to that bracelet, so it's probably just a matter of when they're going to talk about the bracelet before we start getting answers.

I also imagine that after how they told us pretty much everything about ORAS before the game even released, they'll want to hold off on some Megas until release.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Yet there is no sign of the Mega ring in any trailer..
I don't think they will be gone, but judging from the trailers and the new bracelet I think they will probably let us use the Mega Evolution during post game or very late in the game.
From a competitive point of view, the only thing that really matters is whether they are going to allow both the Mega evolution and the new mechanic to be used during battle.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Today's update revealed Alola Form Pokemon and talked about the super moves which are called Z-Moves, which look to shake up competitive. Alola Form Pokemon are basically Delta Species, they're old Pokemon with new typings (so far they've confirmed Alola Exeggutor which is Grass/Dragon, Alola Vulpix/Ninetales which are Ice and Ice/Fairy, and Alola Sandshrew/Sandslash which are Ice/Steel). Z-Moves are confirmed to be super powered moves tied to a specific type and require a Z-Crystal of that type. They can only be used once per battle.

Anyway, Alola Forms should give old Pokemon a chance to impact the metagame if they have the right typing (although Sandslash-A sure doesn't, it's Ice/Steel and described as being slow and defensive, so that would probably relegate it to lower tiers).

Last edited:

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
TBH, I dont see the alola forms doing too well at all. So far every pokemon introduced with a new form has at least 1 new 4x weakness (Ice for Exeggutor-A, Steel for Ninetales-A, Fighting AND Fire for Sandslash-A). That and some of the new designs just... *looks at Alola Exeggutor and shudders* - yeah, no. I swear, they got a new guy on the design team that REALLY shouldn't be there... I have not said this before about any pokemon but Arceus (and later Hoopa-U when that bugger reared his atypically complex face), but many of the new pokemon/forms are starting to look like bad fake-mon than official pokemon...

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
A really interesting question I have, is whether it would be possible to use both the Alola form and the regular form of the same Pokemon in battles.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A really interesting question I have, is whether it would be possible to use both the Alola form and the regular form of the same Pokemon in battles.

Well since they're considered a form of the Pokemon and not a separate Pokemon, that'd probably fall under Species Clause. Unless they amend the Species Clause rule they probably won't be allowed.

Celever

Wheeeee~
Well since they're considered a form of the Pokemon and not a separate Pokemon, that'd probably fall under Species Clause. Unless they amend the Species Clause rule they probably won't be allowed.
I actually disagree. We don't know for certain that it is considered a forme -- Exeggutor-A, for example, is a fan name. I think it's much more likely for a Pokémon's Alola form to be considered an entirely different species. After all, IRL when animals adapt to different environments, they can be considered totally different species by humans (like hippos and cows) so I think it'd be ideal if Alolan formes followed the same rule.

Leronne

Bug Pokemon Lover
It really depends on the new pokemon's stats and maybe movepool if you ask me. Gen 6 introduced quite a few pokemon with unique abilities/attacks, but most of them ended up being pretty lackluster (except pokemon like greninja, talonflame and aegislash for example). Furfrou, Malamar, Pangoro, Clawitzer, Aurorus etc. In Aurorus' case it's stats are good, but it's its typing that really holds it back. In furfrou's case, it had low defense, which made his ability really redundant (even with cotton guard) and no access to attacks (bar cotton guard) that made it a real tank like ferrothorn etc. Of course I'm not saying these pokemon are useless. You very much can be succesful with them. But it was just a bit dissapointing y'know. Honestly, I'm just hoping wimpod (and if possible his evolution) has great stats, because i've always wanted a water/bug pokemon for my mono bug team (looking at you surskit >.>).
Just my opnion, though.

Last edited: