How “Pokemon TCG Pocket” Will Usher in a Massive New Era for the Pokemon TCG

Reminder that Game Freak is poison to this brand and every time another company gets their hands on this IP, they make magic with it.
ILCA and Niantic beg to disagree. Also DENA just makes mobile games with gambling elements, it's not necessarily "magic".
And let us not mention PTCG Live.

ILCA and Niantic beg to disagree. Also DENA just makes mobile games with gambling elements, it's not necessarily "magic".
And let us not mention PTCG Live

idk where this under appreciation of DeNa comes from. Won’t say they are the best out there but they are FAR from being the worst. Gotta say tho the screen where you open packs and the rarity of the card looks really ugly, I hope they do improve that by the time it launches.

I've never played any of DeNa's Pokemon mobile games but Final Fantasy Record Keeper was one of the least predatory mobile games I've ever experienced.

Now if you want to talk about predatory mobile games, Niantic takes Gamefreak's incompetency and multiplies it by a million. And is openly hostile toward its player base.

I like pokemon tcg, but let's be real the energy system & prize system is sucks. Hope it better in this new game.
And also hope it gets into PC like Duel Links & Marvel Snap.

I mentioned this on other channels but I'm cautiously optimistic about Pokémon TCG Pocket.

On the one hand it's nice to see that the TCG is getting another game app, especially when it has two-sh (my faith in Creatures is shaky at best, I really don't like how the current meta is heavily reliant on Energy Acceleration and they seems to be very sheepish about printing stuff that harshly punishes it in any way) great development teams behind it. Digital collecting and having the ability to trade cards is also nice (remember Quidd before they dived into the whole NFT thing? I sure do!).

On the other, simplifying the game is a double-edged sword if GO is anything to go by. It boosts your reach to a wider audience but that boost doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate into more people trying out the actual game. LGPE may have sold well but GF attempt at bringing GO-style catching to the main line games was definitely one of the more controversial changes made to the game.

And I won't even get into the NFT mess that the staff seemed to have cleaned up. I will say that the only two Pokémon-aligned corporate entities that have done anything regarding them were Nintendo and TPCi with different results (Nintendo saying it's interested in the metaverse but questions how to make it "fun" while TPCi had a job opening for someone with NFT/blockchain/Web3 experience).

And after doing some research into this it appears that TPCi responded to request from Polygon on the matter and and gave the blanket "The Pokémon Company International has not developed or approved of Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs) related to the Pokémon brand and associated intellectual property" response so that should kill any speculation on the matter.
They explored adding microtransactions to TCG Online but abandoned it since it would mean in many countries, Junior age players would not be allowed to play the game, since they want to eventually use the game for playing official events and earning points, this would give Junior players in some counties more access to points than others.
Don't forget that Gems were retired around the same time a bunch of countries (with Belgium being only one to actually do so on paper, IFAIK it was never actually enforced) considered passing laws that would've made loot boxes illegal and that Tournament Tickets were also monetized to a certain extent and said the ability to purchase them were also retired around the same time.

Back