• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Houndoom Mill

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 8

* 1 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Houndoom-EX BKT 21
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 44

* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 133
* 3 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Team Rocket's Handiwork FAC 112
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 4 Max Potion GRI 128

##Energy - 8

* 8 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

Explanation: Pretty straight forward. Houndoom EX for the 2 card mill attack and use energy disruption and Max Potion to stall long enough to win by deck out. Honestly This build is a modified list of the one that got 33rd at the Anaheim regional a few months ago trying to update it for GUR. There was a 2-2 EVO Raticate line that i dropped for some space but i can see putting it back in the deck.

I think that Houndoom got a really raw deal in Guardians. Garbodor basically can't lose to a Houndoom deck, no matter how slow you roll it, Houndoom has to play items and unlike Sylveon you can't damage control by having the perfect item you need to use every turn. Bunnelby is the only way you can pull items out of discard but it's very easily KO'd and you lack a way to recover it.

Choice Band+tool removal are also very bad for Houndoom since it's pretty easy to field blower the FFB off then land a choice banded hit for an OHKO while in the past you only really had to worry about water decks and stuff like Megaray OHKOing. Altar of the Sunne doesn't help you much imo, Lapras doesn't need weakness to OHKO if you don't have a FFB attached, even if you do choice band + Kukui will get them there. Aqua Patch also means that Lapras isn't that bothered by disruption these days, in fact I've had games where hammers hitting me has been beneficial in that it let me move energy around with aqua patch.

I've actually beaten Garb multiple times. While it's an item heavy deck it isn't trying to turbo through them like standard decks so you don't actually get a lot of items in the grave for a while and hopefully by then you will have disrupted all the energy so that they can't start OHKOing pokemon

You're right about choice band+field blower though. Just have to hope that it gets milled before they can use it

DeciPlume can give your deck fits; I'd suggest running an additional Hex Maniac.

How about the Quad Lapras match-up? Any testing results?

DeciPlume can give your deck fits; I'd suggest running an additional Hex Maniac.

How about the Quad Lapras match-up? Any testing results?

I don't know how it does against quad lapras, but I can definitively tell you that turbo lapras annihilates it and not just because of weakness. That's about the only deck in standard that can T1 attack for 190 damage which is hard for any deck to overcome. This deck simply doesn't have time. I think this is probably a harder auto loss than Greninja. Would be interested in @Otaku's thoughts on it though. He runs a similar deck a ton.

Would be interested in @Otaku's thoughts on it though. He runs a similar deck a ton.

"Ran a similar deck" would be more accurate. I've been so busy I've barely played the PTCGO in weeks.

I can share with you a crackpot theory, at least:

Hex Maniac goes up. Some of the other Supporters go down. And we try to squeeze in Puzzle of Time. Why? Seems like I always ran out of what I needed.

Granted, the last list I ran had mutated to include Wailord-EX for stall, but that was before that stopped working. XD

Back