Discussion Hoopa EX to be New Staple?

FoxKin45

Centipede / Eyepatch
With the upcoming set Bandit Ring we are getting access to a new card Hoopa Ex. Hoopa's ability is when it is placed on the bench you can search your deck for 3 pokemon Ex and put them into your hand. I believe a quite serious potential pokemon tech line could be 1 shaymin 1 hoopa for their abilities giving you so much to work with. Opinions?

The only reasons to get 3 pokemon at all would be for setup decks/support pokemon, and for Shaymin/Jirachi. Not only are support pokemon not EX pokemon most of the time, 3 Shaymin is useless as well because of the recent LTC ban. The best I could do with a Hoopa in say, a Seismitoad deck would be another Toad, Shaymin and maybe a Jirachi/Tech if you run it, which doesn't warrant a deck spot in anything but maybe Colorless Rayquaza imo.

Last edited:
Even before the LTC ban, grabbing three Shaymin wouldn't have been a very good idea. The two Shaymin would be dead cards until you use them, so it would be much better to get to benchable/evolvable Pokemon and use them effectively straight away, and then Shaymin for 3 extra cards.

On topic, I think Hoopa-EX is really going to help Fairy Toolboxes. The deck strives to get a Fan Club turn one, meaning this could act as an alternative, and perhaps more consistent!

Hoopa will help everyone but especially Rayquaza decks. Imagine using Shaymin then Hoopa's Ability to search for more Pokemon. Fill up your bench then use Winona to search for more Pokemon. On your first turn, you'll have a 240 Emerald Break. From then on, you can slow down your draw because you have already set up.

I think this could be pretty interesting.

I was running through the decks I play and thinking what I would use it in, and I realized I would probably add it to Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, but I'd also add Shaymin to both decks. If I could get down two of the basic EXs, and also a Shaymin, and then refresh my hand, it would be a fantastic start.

I think it's useful in a few decks, definitely not a staple though considering some decks will be less EX-focused now.

Hoopa-EX is best with Mega Evolution decks. Sure, about 70% of the metagame decks out right now are EX decks, but I find that those ones rarely reach the point where they have no way to pull out their Pokemon. A deck like Bronzong/Dialga-EX wouldn't really need this one since it's better off using Ultra Ball: It allows Bronzong search and discards Metal Energy, and a Hoopa-EX would just become a junk spot on your Bench since you're usually going to want at least 2-3 Bronzong in play at a time.

Mega Evolution decks, on the other hand, are great with this card. It's a simple search for the Basic EX, the Mega EX, and then something else like a Shaymin-EX for quick draw. The Psychic Typing also makes it usable in Wobbuffet-based decks, specifically Primal Groudon-EX/Wobbuffet.

Great as a one of if your deck is EX focused and play skyfield (or small setups).

I feel the stadium is pretty key as bench space is something I have to keep in mind when playing things like M Gard or M Aggron. Sure it would be nice to Hoopa for 2 Gards and a shaymin but that extra bench spot for hoopa just doesnt exist.

Space maybe not so much of an issue in EX Decks that dont need much setup - like M Man.

Back