Honor, Strategy and Originality

kravenace

Cynthia is <3
I think these are what most players should have. I mean, in a deeper sense, some people all just have the cards and copies other's decks. Some people, who are mostly poor, like me, just picks a card and stays with it till the end. May it be or not because of my self principle or I'm just too poor to buy other cards. :p Err, this is also the reason why I post least in the Deck Garage. :p

Anyways, what's your opinion guys?

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
I don't agree with copying exact lists (aka netdecking)... it basically takes credit for the work of the person (or more likely, group of people) that built the deck, along the same lines as plagiarism, to some extent. Furthermore, I'll won't copy ideas for decks. If the strategy I come up with happens to become an archetype, then I'll use it, since I had the idea in the first place.

I like to test out strategies before I actually get the cards or assemble the deck. That way, I know if I am making a good investment.

I feel conflicted to some degree about posting decks in the Deck Garage. If I post a deck there, then people are likely to copy it, and I might lose the advantage that I would have, if I had any, over the metagame. On the other hand, the feedback is very useful in fine-tuning the deck. As sort of a compromise, I generally only ask for input within trusted circles of a few people. I think this is a dilemma that many other players face as well.

I get more satisfaction with winning with my own creations than with using other people's creations. I hope more people are like that as well, but I still respect the players that use archetypes freely whether they made it themselves or not, so long as they are not copying exact lists.

Krucifier

Arr! Avast!
I hate Netdeckers, but it makes me laugh when they have a cry about losing with "the ultimate deck".

I love using my own creations. One of the latest and greatest is Anarchy - me and hornetsbasketballfan (cant remember your beach name sorry :p) made it. So people can't call me a netdecker if they copy the list ;) (considering it can do 90+ damage a turn with a basic, guaranteed =D :p)

I agree with docrobot, but personally I get annoyed if they don't change at least 10 cards from the list off the interwebz.

Master of the Six Kings

I IZ GENIUS!
I too hate net-decking, as anyone can win with an archtype deck(doesn't mean they willl), but what I hate more is when someone copies your deck and then says that you should be flattered.

Copying a deck without permision is like (though less severe) then pyrating songs of the internet. And the same deck will work differently in other areas. The original creator could have horrible luck, and a bad meta-game, while a copycat could make it to worlds. Then who gets the credit for making the deck? The guy that eveyone knows. Until so many people play it, you can't tell made it themselves, and who copied.

Of course, playing an archtype isn't bad, as long as you make it with no visuale aid. Even then, there should be a major difference between the original and yours. Anyone can just throw together an Inferncatty deck and win. But does that make them good? Or a Role Model? No, no it doesn't. That's why the deck garage and card combo's foorums are so important, to help players see different ways to put cards together. That's also one of the reasons that pre-releases are more fun then real tournaments. It doesn't matter how much money you have. It's all up to luck, and your ability to take useless cards and make a 1st place deck.

Net deck is like doing drugs. It's addictive, lame, and doesn't help your image what so ever. I hope to see more Rouge decks, getting names and becoming popular, but all of them at once. This rotation will really help with that, as most of the big archtypes like Metanite, Flariados, Ludicargo ect, have finally died off. Don't Net Deck, go for the rouges and show the world who you are.

Teppo27

Crusty inexperienced veteran
The only time that I "netdeck" anything is when I see a good list for an archetype deck that I either haven't played, or don't have a good list for.
The reason I do this is to be able to test my rogue decks against something that is a proven winner.

I don't think that it's wise to test out your new Swalot+Wobbuffet deck against your Luigi deck. You need good competition to be able to improve your deck, those archetype decks make a good benchmark to be able to tell how good your rogue deck is.

I never play anything even close to an archetype deck when I participate in tournaments or other organized things.
Creativity is the heart and soul of Pokémon. Whether it's training your Pokémon on the video game, or buying a pack of cards and building something out of what was once nothing. Creativity is why the game is fun for me.

Netdecking something so that you might win a tournament = Horribly lame.

Wizzblade

Leaf Blade!
All of my (2) decks are original 100%. I agree with you. I make decks with cards that I think are fun to use and don't really care if other people don't like them.

luxneji

lost ends 2010 so sad
my decks are original if you copy deck is like you dont know how to play you don't have the imagination to bulild it

StealthAngel667

Aspiring Trainer
My decks (well, only 3 so far, Holondoom(made it loooong ago, and it failed), Boostcatty *points to sig* and Candoom, a deck I don't wanna talk about yet cuz I have no idea whether it'll work xP don't worry tho, I'm not planning to hype it like dax-lock) are all handmade quality high-endurance products ^^d
Meh, I just love rogue decks =) especially because, since I'm hanging around on these forums, I see some weak archetype-ripoff every day. And creating new ideas that actually work make me feel proud. I also think that decks that can only use one strategy are incredibly stupid and I'd never use one of those. I want to have influence on the game ya know >_> playing is more than statistics to me, and just because your Infernape OHKOs my Delcatty, that doesn't mean I can't win. xP

kravenace

Cynthia is <3
The only time I netdeck is when I try it against my own deck. Ever heard of a rareless deck? :p

Pokeric

That's Right
i honostly dont mind when new people to the TCG copy famous decks like Infernacatty or Mario, but when youve been playing for at least a year its time to come up with your own decks
my Gyaratu deck is pretty original (im betting other people thought of it) but im assuming I was one of the first, considering im the only one with it posted in the deck forum thingy. My other deck Nidokingler is pretty solid and original but is mainly a pretty good deck for people on a budget..

luxneji

lost ends 2010 so sad
and actually i plled out magnezone and steelix and the stragedy came to me before it went out here

vanderbilt_grad

Aspiring Trainer
Netdecking is good if someone is using it to learn the game. It's bad if they are just being lazy. It's not netdecking itself that's a problem it's when folks misuse it.

Originality is nice, but not really required IMHO. I *really* like Infernape + Delcatty. I was experimenting with Delcatty decks for some time before Inferape came out. Infernacatty is hardly original but I have fun with it and don't really care if the idea is common or not.

Strategy is good & should be encouraged. The more folks understand the game and the decks they play the better. Good netdecking helps people understand strategy. Lazy netdeckers skip this step and usually loose. Building new & original decks helps build strategic understanding but then again so can seeing how other people build and play.

Honor is mandatory. Cheating can ruin the game and discourage new players. In every way cheating is bad for the game ... however netdecking is not necessarily cheating.

I really hope that POP starts posting decklists for tournament winners. Other games do it successfully and Pokemon can too. I’ll grant that the best players in the game would be somewhat disadvantaged by this ... but it would be far outweighed by all the new players whom it would help. Having deckbuilding articles here is nice but seeing exactly how winning decks are built goes even further.

Pokeric

That's Right
ok, Ill admit, I play every popular deck that comes out (Inferncatty Mario R-gon Shiftry EX decks ect.) and I think every one else should because that helps you learn those decks flaws, so then you know what to do when facing an opponent using that deck. However like VG said that dosent mean that you shouldnt come up with your own deck

Jigglypuff13

I really need to change this
I don't mind people net-decking, so long as the net-decker gives their own twist to the deck. If they just copy the list card for card off the Internet, then I get annoyed. If they add their own twist to the deck, then it shows that the play has at least some imagination.

I do have originality and I think people need originality when building a deck. I have made more rouge decks than archetypes. Some have worked (even when there seems to be no strategy), so I've kept them, but many have failed completely even though, on paper, the strategy was perfect. So, testing the deck out is needed, but has to be against archetypes, or at least the best decks in you metagame, to prove if the deck will be good enough.
But I also have some archetype decks made. But I don't copy entire lists, and often try to add my own twists to these decks, and seem to work, so I still show my originality. Same goes at my league. Many people their make rouge decks, but some do make archetypes, to which they make their own twists to the deck, and make it their own, but no one does as far as net-decking.
Actually, it could be twisted to show that making and using an archetype deck with you own twists to the deck that still does well in tournaments shows that you are becoming better as a player and more creative in your deck building. How? Well, many archetypes have complex strategies, so being able to play it well shows that your tactical mind is becoming better. That, and you've added you own idea to the deck, which still works, showing that you know what you are doing while building a deck.

Though, I must admit, nothing beats the satisfaction of winning tournaments with a deck you've created on your own...

Basically, I think people should make any deck they feel like, but should be creative with what they put in it to make it your own and make it unique