Ruling Holon WP's do's and dont's

I'll do the Water-part to it since the Psychic part is simple.

Well a Water energy Must be attached to use it's effect 1stly.

It only stops Effects of attacks, which is anything else Except Damage. If damage is done in any wording then it still works. If an attack says "Place so many damage counters..." that does not work. Holon WP can only be used for attacks though, so Trainers, Poke-powers and Poke-bodies still affect it. If you're having trouble with certain questions just post them and we can help with answers.

well, since today, everything that comes from an attack and is not damage (like special conditions, damage put, ...)

And those 2 little effects are completely sepparated things...like...you don't have to have a Water energy attached to it to use it's second attack.

so pure powers, liabilities, and something like this does not affect WP right?

and flareon ex's power could affect burn and confuse right? to a WP and water attached

Yes, unless you got a Holon GL attached to it...Powers and Bodies or whatsoever won't be changed by Holon WP...

Let's say this: Holon WP is a Kevlar armor...supposed to stop all kind of bullets. ButPowers, Bodies, whatsoever are anti-Kevlar armor bullets. A gun shoots them and they get past Kevlar. U die. Good enough ^^?

Tomokazu Komiya said:
Forgot something?
Forum Rules said:
2. DO NOT post one-line messages that involve "I agree with you" "Yeah, that's right," or any other silly comments that are obviously postcount++ posts.

If you do any of the above, you will receive a warning, which we will be keeping track of. The mod who issues the warning will PM you
Sorry Tomo, but i'm being stricker now on Rules (Especially this one) and if I come across pointless posts like your "???" then you'll receive a warning.

On topic:

Just ignore all that mumbojumbo that Lord9511 said. He asked about Holon WP and since there is obviously a difficulty understanding then you dont need to throw Holon GL in there too.

(TYranitarFReak): Holon WP ONLY stops effects of Attacks. So any Poke-powers, Poke-bodies or Trainer cards CAN affect pokemon even when Holon WP is attached. So yes, Flareon ex CAN Burn and Confuse the pokemon with Holon WP since it isnt an Attack.

Liability and any attack which doesnt do specific damage will not work. If an attack says a number of damage specifically (i.e. "Choose one pokemon and this attack does 40 damage to it"). That is specifying damage from an attack. Attacks which Place Damage Counters are effects of attacks since they're not "doing" the damage, they're "placing" the counters.

Does that make it any easier to understand?

To put it even simpler:

With WP attached to a Pokemon with a Water Energy.. everything below the attack is prevented, but everything next to the attack goes through.

Take Squirtle's Bubble attack..

(W) Bubble 10
Flip a coin. If heads the Defending
Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

The effect is below the attack which is nullified, the damage next to the attack goes through as normal.

Now, if you have an attack like Medicham ex's:

(*)(*) Pure Power (no damage number)
Put 3 damage counters on the defending
Pokemon in any way you like.

This attack would be nullified in total.. as the whole attack is an effect and there's no damage. But his second attack:

(*)(*)(F) Sky Kick 60
If the D.Pokémon has (F) Resist., this attack
does 60 damage plus 40 more damage.

It would only do 60 damage, you'd ignore the effect.. even if you put WP Energy/Water Energy on a Pidgeot and Medicham used this attack.

Little late, but thought maybe I could help.. lol.

DrkrZen said:
(*)(*)(F) Sky Kick 60
If the D.Pokémon has (F) Resist., this attack
does 60 damage plus 40 more damage.

It would only do 60 damage, you'd ignore the effect.. even if you put WP Energy/Water Energy on a Pidgeot and Medicham used this attack.

Little late, but thought maybe I could help.. lol.
No. I've had alot of debates on effects like this and in the end damage is damage is damage is damage is damage. Holon WP does not stop damage. All effects of attacks which are not damage are prevented.

That is, going by how Team Compendium see it from reading some of their rulings on this.

Don't know who Team Compendium is, but that's kind of dumb, then.

If it had 30 damage next to Pure Power and then said place 30 damage on your opponent's Pokemon in any way you like, then I'd agree.. the attack would work. So, that's definitely nulled.

But damage from an attack is first and foremost.. which would be the Cham's 60+, so a Pokemon with Water/WP Energy would take 60 for sure, however, the text below the attack is an added effect.

Much in the same way Bubble would work.. 10 would be guarenteed from a Squirtle to said Pokemon, in example above, but flipping a coin for paralysis is, again, an added effect.

And, the WP Energy doesn't specifically dictate that only status effects are null, but all effects from the Defending Pokemon.

Though that would make me sound as if I'm saying an Active Pokemon using Flamethrower, who would discard 1-2 Fire Energy, wouldn't do that because it would be nulled.. right? Wrong.

With Flamethrower, it's required. So, you have to discard a Fire Energy prior to doing damage, after that.. there are no added effects to the Flamethrower attack. Meh, don't know why I brought that up.. I guess just in case I didn't sound like I was going in one direction.

But I'm sure everyone will have varying opinions and take text differently from person to person to person to person to person.

Team Compendium are the guys who do the erratas and rulings on questions for the Compendium in the TCG...

Read Holon WP carefully, and you'll notice:
"prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that pokemon by your opponent's pokemon".

Skykick is self-referencing, it isnt an effect on the pokemon which has Holon WP attached. Holon WP doesnt say 'prevent EVERY effect done by the attack', just ones which effect the pokemon with Holon WP.

I can always ask for this to be confirmed if you want, but it may take a while to get an answer and I cant get on to their site atm.

Sky Kick's attack text is not an effect of an attack - it's figuring out base damage. Holon Energy WP won't stop it.

Back