• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ho-oh GX/ Lurantix Promo

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Been playing Volc/ Turt/ Ho-oh for a few weeks now, but I've started to wonder if there isn't a better way to play fire. This was my theory crafted combo, and now I need some input before I try putting this together and bringing it to local challenges:

See the Fire Rainbow

Pokemon
4 x Ho-Oh GX
1 x Turtonator GX
2 x Lurantis PR-SM25
3 x Fomantis
3 x Tapu Lele GX

The focus here is entirely around getting out Ho-oh and one Luratis and powering up Ho-oh with Kiawe. With this combo you can one shot every threat in the meta with Choice Band, hitting 230. Everything else in the current meta with more HP is fire-weak.

Turt GX is here because you don't want to lose all of your momentum after losing the first ho-oh GX. Nitro Tank will refill your bench and keep them OHKOs coming.

3 Tapu Lele GX will increase your chances of hitting that T1 Kiawe.

I am a little hesitant to exclude a one prize attacker, but honestly I'm not sure what to play here, and I don't think the threat of Alolan Ninetales from BUS is that high.

Item/Supporter/Stadium
4 x Professor Sycamore
4 x N
4 x Guzma
3 x Kiawe
1 x Brigette
4 x Ultra Ball
1 x Nest Ball
4 x Max Elixir
3 x Choice Band
2 x Field Blower
2 x Switch
1 x Rescue Stretcher
1 x Super Rod

Focused on consistency here and adjusting for the lack of VS seeker I'm going heavy on my draw supporter line and Guzma/ Kiawe Supporters as they are what enables me to continue attacking turn after turn. Max Elixir allows me to keep my bench well supplied. I chose to do a 1-1 Super rod/ Stretcher split. Hopefully I won't need to discard my important Pokemon but in case they do I want the ability to fish them from the discard open to me. I also want to be able to shuffle energy back into my deck to preserve some of my resources in the late game. I wanted to fit in Float Stones for some of my heavier Pokemon like Turt GX, but I'm having trouble finding the space.

Energy
13 x Fire Energy - Basic

Please give me your thoughts on the general idea of the deck and the construction of the deck. This is very much still a work in progress.

Idk if Volc ex wouldn't be better power up to evolution line of lurantis. Plus against Volc they can Guzma them out for easy kill. I'd rather play Volc ex and baby Volc with ho oh or utilize aground ho oh with salable gx and kinase to place a lot of pressure on opponent. Saw stream of that type of deck at worlds and seemed pretty good.

Idk if Volc ex wouldn't be better power up to evolution line of lurantis. Plus against Volc they can Guzma them out for easy kill. I'd rather play Volc ex and baby Volc with ho oh or utilize aground ho oh with salable gx and kinase to place a lot of pressure on opponent. Saw stream of that type of deck at worlds and seemed pretty good.

Volcanion forces me to toss Fire energy to maintain that power though. Lurantis just has to sit on my bench. And sure it's a Guzma target... but it's also a single prize target.

Volcanion forces me to toss Fire energy to maintain that power though. Lurantis just has to sit on my bench. And sure it's a Guzma target... but it's also a single prize target.

Yes, but that's why you run Space Beacon Starmie. The whole point is to steam up in order to power up your Fire pokemon and then use Starmie to get 2 energies back.

Yes, but that's why you run Space Beacon Starmie. The whole point is to steam up in order to power up your Fire pokemon and then use Starmie to get 2 energies back.

... But what's the point in that if I can skip all that and just attach the energy to my bench and use Elixir to power?? I have the Turtonator for the recharge if I lose the Ho-Oh I used Kiawe on before charging up another. Seems like extra clunk and more fat targets that will just end up sitting active while I dig for a way to bounce them out. Lurantis I can just pop an energy onto early on and attach if it gets stranded for a retreat. Or they kill it, firing them to take 7 prizes.

I feel if you are utilizing ho oh as the main attacker then his best partner is salazzle gx..you apply oressure early taking quick KOs and then sweep late with Salazzle GX

I feel if you are utilizing ho oh as the main attacker then his best partner is salazzle gx..you apply oressure early taking quick KOs and then sweep late with Salazzle GX

This could work, Salazzle's energy costs are low, so I could even potentially forgo Max Elixir. I like Turtonator simply because for one energy I can recover the energy that Ho-Oh drops when it gets knocked out.

... But what's the point in that if I can skip all that and just attach the energy to my bench and use Elixir to power?? I have the Turtonator for the recharge if I lose the Ho-Oh I used Kiawe on before charging up another. Seems like extra clunk and more fat targets that will just end up sitting active while I dig for a way to bounce them out. Lurantis I can just pop an energy onto early on and attach if it gets stranded for a retreat. Or they kill it, firing them to take 7 prizes.

Because sometimes using elixir isn't a good option, especially with all the Garbodors out there. You're also relying on 1 Turtonator to bring you back if someone knocks out your Ho-oh with energy attached to it. What happens when you Nitro Tank and someone uses Guzma to knock out your new Ho-oh? You're better off having baby volcanion as a 1 prize attacker to re-attach energies and then using steam up to power up your pokemon. Lurantis has a 2 energy retreat cost so if it gets brought up early, you can't simply attach an energy like you said to retreat. Starmie has a 1 retreat cost so you would be able to attach to retreat and then Space beacon to get that energy back.

I get your point of view, but I don't think having starmie instead of Lurantis is clunky at all. If anything, I feel like having Lurantis is clunky since you'd need to have multiples of them out to hit for relevant damage. Even with the 2 you have out, you wouldn't be able to knock out a Gardevoir GX without a choice band. Using two steam ups will get you a 1HKO on anything without a choice band.

Because sometimes using elixir isn't a good option, especially with all the Garbodors out there.

Garb will be less and less relevant as time goes on because of the later mentioned Gardevoir.

You're also relying on 1 Turtonator to bring you back if someone knocks out your Ho-oh with energy attached to it. What happens when you Nitro Tank and someone uses Guzma to knock out your new Ho-oh?

You don't load up all the Nitro tank energies onto one benched pokemon... that would be foolhardy.

Lurantis has a 2 energy retreat cost so if it gets brought up early, you can't simply attach an energy like you said to retreat. Starmie has a 1 retreat cost so you would be able to attach to retreat and then Space beacon to get that energy back.

With Kiawe first turn I can use one of my attachements on a benched Pokemon. I'm also running four Guzma and two Switch. I'm not concerned that Lurantis is going to get trapped active. I'm more concerned that Volcanion will get stuck active which is FAR more likely to happen than Starmie getting promoted.

I get your point of view, but I don't think having starmie instead of Lurantis is clunky at all. If anything, I feel like having Lurantis is clunky since you'd need to have multiples of them out to hit for relevant damage. Even with the 2 you have out, you wouldn't be able to knock out a Gardevoir GX without a choice band. Using two steam ups will get you a 1HKO on anything without a choice band.

Having Starmie is great and useful... if the 1-1 Starmie line doesn't get prize locked... I could run a heavier line, but that's where the clunky starts to set in. I just don't have enough room with a 2-2 Starmie line to get the best consistency out of the deck.

The objective, by the way, is to get out one Lurantis and one Choice Band. This frees up the rest of the bench space for more Ho-Ohs, Turtonator, and Tapu Leles. I'm even considering cutting Bridgette to run a 4th Choice Band for consistency. With the additional 20+30 I can easily one shot anything in the current meta. On the flip side I could also run 1 FFB which would give me some survivability and still bring my damage total to 210, a solid number.

Back