• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Help With Muk & Alolan Muk GX Deck

Kajishu

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys I have been testing a muks vs with Malamar but it just doesn't feel right, anyone have any decks they have been testing and enjoy? this is my latest update with Acro Bike and Dedenne GX to help speed things up.

* 2 Dedenne GX
* 1 Gengar & Mimikyu-GX
* 4 Inkay
* 3 Muk & Alolan Muk-GX
* 4 Malamar

* 1 Rescue Stretcher
* 2 Buff Padding
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 3 Nest Ball
* 2 Sightseer
* 1 Erika’s Hospitality
* 3 Cynthia
* 2 Lillie
* 3 Dust Island
* 3 Guzma
* 3 Koga’s Trap
* 3 Mysterious Treasure
*1 field blower
*4 Acro Bike

* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 9 Psychic Energy

Last edited:

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Fyi. You may get a message from one of the Forum's Admins notifying you that this Forum is to review a complete deck list so others can review and comment. So, I'd suggest you post your current deck as-is for some initial feedback.

This deck concept has also piqued my interest; so, I too plan to build a deck today and can discuss more details afterwards.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:

IMO, the Dedenne GXs do enhance your deck at all. Other than some limited card-draw support - which may not happen if your opponent has Alolan Muk in play - it would be just a "bench warmer" thereafter, an "easy," 1HKO, 2-prize target. Further, without the necessary energy, you can even use it as an attacker. This Pokémon has lots of inherent. Have you tested Marshadow (Let Loose) as an alternative?

Secondly, you will need time to setup; so, you may want to consider incorporating a few 1 energy attackers, free retreaters and/or even Jirachi (Stellar Wish) to apply some early minimal damage and/or to facilitate your setup.

Keep in mind that Muk & Alolan Muk GX has a very expensive Retreat Cost. It is quite common for an opponent to Guzma this type of Pokémon to the Active position to buy time and/or force you to expend your resources when you may not want to. So, more switching cards are useful.

It seems to me your card-draw "engine" needs to be tweaked some. The 4 Acro Bike, 3 Cynthia, 1 Erika's Hospitality, 2 Lillie, and 2 Sightseer do not seem they will provide good, consistent card-draw support. Further, with playing a key Supporter like Koga's Trap, supplemental, non-Supporter based, card-draw support could be helpful.

Suggested card changes:

-2 Dedenne GX
-3 Nest Ball - may not be needed given increasing Mysterious Treasure
-1 Erika's Hospitality - too situational
-2 Sightseer

+1 Jirachi (Stellar Wish) / Tapu Koko (Flying Flip) / Eevee & Snorlax GX / etc.
+1 Oranguru (Instruct) - supplemental card-draw support
+1 Cynthia - more card-draw support
+1 Lillie - more card-draw support
+1 Escape Rope - switching option / Tate & Liza - switching option or card-draw support
+1 Pal Pad - to recover and recycle discarded Supporters
+2 DCE - should be maxed out

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:

Kajishu

Aspiring Trainer
The main reason I had dedenne and sightseer was to help get energy in the discard to help malamar accelerate I like the marshadow idea to disrupt.
What do you think of a zebstrika line instead, or maybe 4 judge whistle for more non supporter draw?
-2 Dedenne VS
-2 sightseer
-1 Ericka's
+2-2 zebstrika\ 4 judge whistle
+1 pal pad

Just an option, I'll try your ideas to see how they feel and update.

SeaDarnley45

Aspiring Trainer
I think if your running Muk/muk then Lunala star is a easy in, 1 psychic for a 3-6 energy attach is primo but if the Malamar from forbidden light isn't floating your boat then maybe try a different acceleration engine, Fire works really well with Muk/muk, Run a 3-3 Salazzle line from UNB and welder plus fire crystals, With Muk/muk you can manually attach a psychic and then welder 2 fire and boom 1 turn severe poison g2g, Mewtwo from UNB can recycle welders and provides a damage out to decks that block conditional damage or GX attacks.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
I like Muk and Alolan Muk with Shinning Mew as an acceleration engine instead of Malamar and Seviper to increase the damage output with Muk and Alolan Muk. The main idea here is to tank with Muk and Alolan Muk similar to Venusaur and Celebi and to heal with Mixed Herbs and his second attack. Seviper is used to increase the damage output coming from poison. Other possible cards to consider are Absol to make it harder for the opponent to shake off poison by retreating and Mr Mime to block Acerola. Below is a quick template of a pure Muk and Alolan Muk deck.

Pokémon (10):
  • 4 Muk & Alolan Muk GX (disabler)
  • 3 Shinning Mew SHL (accelerate)
  • 3 Seviper SM4 (enable)
Trainer (38):
  • 3 Bill's Analysis (search)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 4 Cynthia (draw)
  • 4 Lillie (draw)
  • 4 Mysterious Treasure (search)
  • 4 Mixed Herbs (healing)
  • 2 Field Blower (discard)
  • 3 Buff Padding (enable)
  • 4 Nest Ball (search)
  • 3 Switch (retreat)
  • 4 Dust Island (disable)
Energy (12):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 8 Psychic Energy

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
Some metal decks run cobalion-gx, so an alolan Muk on your bench will help against that. If not then your at the mercy of a healing tank metal deck. That or run 4 power plants.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
One of my Poké pals actually ran a version of your deck at the recent Madison Regional tournament. One major difference I saw was that he incorporated Poison Barb to facilitate inflicting the Poison condition. Note, this Tool will rotate-out in a few months.

Humble

Aspiring Trainer
I would suggest Sophocles instead of Sightseer if your looking to discard energy to accelerate because it doesn't limit your hand size, but another option then Malamar is Starmie from Team Up. I run Starmie in my Latios&Latias GX deck and the attack let's you attach 3 psychic or water energy from your deck to a pokemon.

Also Poison barb is definitely a great card to add, also have you thought of adding Mimikyu from Guardians Rising it has the copycat move. This would be great when going against Reshiram & Charizard GX.