Discussion Help returning to the game

shadoworganoid

"Crimson Dance, Yugetsu!"
Hello friends,

Pardon me if this was not the best location for this.

Anyways, I have been out of the game since Black and White cards were first introduced. The last deck I remember playing was that Gyarados Tail Revenge deck. So yeah, I'm VERY outdated now.

I'm actually considering getting back into the game though now. My local Force of Will community is very spotty and frankly, I really miss the family friendly aspect of Pokemon.

All that being said, what is the best way to get back into the game now? Wait for the next pre release? Or should I buy a certain box? (suggest the best one there in that case)

Any decks I should consider? (Are any of the legal Salamence cards decent enough right now?)

Thanks everyone.

shadoworganoid

It matters. Are you playing for fun or taking a shot at the gold?

Good point. Um, to be honest I'd love to have both. Back when I did play before I was playing competitively.
Now though, Id probably like to start casually as a way to just get back into the game and enjoy the fun of it. That said, I wouldn't mind have both a fun casual deck for other newer players ETC, as well as having a more serious deck for when tournaments roll around.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
If you want to play Salemence, I recommend playing the XY Promo Salemence EX. I would play it either in a Darkrai/Dragons deck or in Volcanion. It shouldn't be too hard to find lists for those decks.

shadoworganoid

If you want to play Salemence, I recommend playing the XY Promo Salemence EX. I would play it either in a Darkrai/Dragons deck or in Volcanion. It shouldn't be too hard to find lists for those decks.

Thanks.
But make no mistake, it doesn't have to be that deck. I think part of my problem when I used to play is that I was too hung up on playing a deck around a pokemon I LIKED more than what was good/bad.
Granted, if my focus is fun only, Salamence being good or bad is irrelevant, but still... Knowing what other options are worth considering is nice too.

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Salamence from Roaring Skies is an interesting card you can build around, as it has three attacks:
salamence-roaring-skies-ros-57-312x441.jpeg
You would need Rare Candy, as it is a Stage 2, but it is an interesting card nonetheless.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Good point. Um, to be honest I'd love to have both. Back when I did play before I was playing competitively.
Now though, Id probably like to start casually as a way to just get back into the game and enjoy the fun of it. That said, I wouldn't mind have both a fun casual deck for other newer players ETC, as well as having a more serious deck for when tournaments roll around.

Just from what you've said, I can tell you really want to go to a pre-release. Do it. It's fun, and you get the opportunity to trade for good cards. It's much better than a ETB.

Best part is that they happen these next 2 weekends, and you have a chance to pull the fabulous TAPU LELE GX.

Nyan

She/They
A great deck to start out with is Passimian/Mew, as it has dirt-cheap cards, but manages to keep up with high-ranking decks.
Here's a list to help you out:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Passimian SUM 73
* 3 Mew FAC 29

##Trainer Cards - 47

* 4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 1 Super Rod DRV 20
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 N FAC 105
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Revive ROS 88
* 2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 3 Sky Field ROS 89
* 1 Town Map BCR 136
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

If you want a replacement for that Shaymin-EX, maybe play another Oranguru

shadoworganoid

A great deck to start out with is Passimian/Mew, as it has dirt-cheap cards, but manages to keep up with high-ranking decks.
Here's a list to help you out:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Passimian SUM 73
* 3 Mew FAC 29

##Trainer Cards - 47

* 4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 1 Super Rod DRV 20
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 N FAC 105
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Revive ROS 88
* 2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 3 Sky Field ROS 89
* 1 Town Map BCR 136
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

If you want a replacement for that Shaymin-EX, maybe play another Oranguru

I will keep this list in mind. Looks interesting. I don't recognize very many of the cards by name sadly, but that is fine. How does it work on only 4 energy? I'm shocked there. Must be similar to Storm Front Gyarados in that it's attack doesn't need energy?

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
I will keep this list in mind. Looks interesting. I don't recognize very many of the cards by name sadly, but that is fine. How does it work on only 4 energy? I'm shocked there. Must be similar to Storm Front Gyarados in that it's attack doesn't need energy?
It can recycle energy easily with Special charge and Puzzle of Time, by the time you're out of DCE's you should have taken enough prizes to win.

Nyan

She/They
Well, the format has changed a lot sense you played it. The decks run significantly faster, because of a few cards, namely VS Seeker and Shaymin-EX
1070864.jpg
1062230.jpg

Because of this, people rely more on having less energy in their decks in turn to have space for other cards and cycling through their cards with a surprisingly high odds of drawing into the energy cards that you want.

shadoworganoid

Not gonna lie, this next set coming out in a couple weeks has my interest. I kind of want to play that new Kommo-o GX. Sick art and seems pretty solid in terms of effects.

Nyan

She/They
Not gonna lie, this next set coming out in a couple weeks has my interest. I kind of want to play that new Kommo-o GX. Sick art and seems pretty solid in terms of effects.
Kommo-o GX seems fun, but warning: I feel, like any Stage 2 deck, may be a bit slow

shadoworganoid

Kommo-o GX seems fun, but warning: I feel, like any Stage 2 deck, may be a bit slow
This is as good a time as any to ask then;
What is the format like these days? What is considered good?
Has the game taken a fast pace shift now?

What do you think will be the money cards from the new set?
I'm at a loss here because I just now looked at the full spoiler list and holy cow all the GX cards look amazing. Vikavolt looks fun.

Rhyno

not very cool dude
This is as good a time as any to ask then;
What is the format like these days? What is considered good?
Has the game taken a fast pace shift now?

I'm at a loss here because I just now looked at the full spoiler list and holy cow all the GX cards look amazing. Vikavolt looks fun.
Yeah the game has definetly gotten a lot faster now. Shaymin EX, P. Sycamore, and ultra ball are getting everyone fully set up on the first turn of the game

Nyan

She/They
Yeah the game has definetly gotten a lot faster now. Shaymin EX, P. Sycamore, and ultra ball are getting everyone fully set up on the first turn of the game
Basically what he said.
The new set: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Guardians_Rising_(TCG)
Tapu Lele GX (all variants), Secret Rare Double Colorless, Aqua Patch & Field Blower (both secret rare and uncommon), Decidueye GX Rainbow Rare, FA Supporters, Rest of the secret rares, Victini