Writing Heaven On Earth - SM Story

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Heaven On Earth

Hey guys! This is my first story on the beach, called 'Heaven On Earth'! It'll be long, but I hope to mainly just have fun with it and improve on my writing skills. Also just a note, this will not be a telling of the SM story in written form. It's putting all that aside and just writing from here.

Here's a bit of information on the protagonist:

Name: Yvonne
Class: Pokémon Trainer
Nature: Sassy
Money: 3,652
Pokémon: Popplio

Nature: Modest

Ability: Liquid Voice
Level: 9
Moves: Pound, Water Gun, Growl, Disarming Voice
Pokémon: Munchlax

Nature: Bashful
Ability: Pickup
Level: 8
Moves: Tackle, Defense Curl, Recycle

I'll be updating this post periodically with links to newer chapters and other updates.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The First Day

First thing in the morning, all I can see is the blinding sun. It takes me a moment to remember where I am, but “crap” I remember, I needed to start unpacking. My mom and I had just moved to the tropical Alola region, all the way from Sinnoh. Today was gonna be our first full day here.

My mom had struck gold, she got transferred from her current location in Jubilife all the damn way to Hau’oli. And for what? To spend a whole damn year catching the exotic Alola forms? Wonderful. I got dragged into this, too. Dad said I’d be able to start my own Pokémon journey, something he’s always been a bit reluctant about me doing. It was weird too, I’m 14 years old and have yet to even have a single Pokémon of my own. It’s the only reason I decided to come here. I don’t get what his problem was, he and mom met while travelling around the Sinnoh region.

“Yvonne?” sounds like mom’s calling me.
“Yeah, mom?” I asked back.
“Could you come downstairs, I’d like you to meet someone!” she answered.

Strange, meet someone? Who? We arrived with all of our stuff just last night, who already wants to meet us? It’s pointless to press on, so I just go downstairs.

“Yvonne, I’d like you to meet Professor Kukui. This is my boss for the next year, kinda like Professor Rowan was” my mom said.

Interesting. He’s not a stuck up and snooty old man? Okay. He looks really young to be a regional professor, too. Professor Rowan was easily in his 60s, as was Oak. Kukui… or was it Kuki? Whatever, he looks like he could be in his 20s or so.

“Pleasure to meet ya, cousin!” Kukui said. “Your mom’s told me so much about you!”
“Nice to meet you too, Professor!” I shook his hand.

Strange, how much has my mom told him about me? Whatever. If this guy’s the Professor, he must be the same guy who gives me my first Pokémon.

“So, how are you liking the Alola region so far?” the Professor asked me.
“It’s so hot, the polar opposite of Sinnoh”
“Yeah, Sinnoh’s not the sunniest region out there” he finished.
“Alright! Yvonne, Professor Kukui here will be taking you out to pick your first Pokémon!” my mom exclaimed out of nowhere.

I was a bit shocked it was happening so quickly. I figured she’d want some help unpacking, maybe need a navigator to get around the island?

“This… this is what you wanted, isn’t it?” mom inquired.
“Of course! Sorry, I was just a bit shocked” I answered.

My mother smiled, it made her happy to surprise me, always has.

“Well, we’ll be on our way then! See ya later mom!” I shouted.

I was practically jumping for joy, getting a Pokémon is something I’ve dreamed of since I was a little girl, but today’s the day, and it couldn’t be happening faster.

“Alright, Yvonne, we’re gonna have to hike through this grass to get to Iki Town. The possibility of a wild Pokémon showing up is high, I’m gonna give you this repel so that you can walk through the grass without any problems. If I encounter a Pokémon, I’ll show you how to catch them!”
“Okay, sounds good to me” I said as I sprayed the repel all over myself.

Surely enough, a wild Pokémon showed up after a few minutes of walking to Iki Town. It looked to be… some sort of rodent?

“Ah, yes. A Yungoos. Alright, ready for the tutorial?” the Professor says as he looks back at me.

I nod.

“Perfect. Let’s demonstrate, first, you should attack the opposing Pokémon” Kukui said, right as he sent out his Pokémon.
“Ruff!” the canine Pokémon roared, waiting to attack.
“Use Accelerock, Lycanroc!” the Professor exclaimed.

Lycanroc sent a bundle of rocks flying the Yungoos’ way. It managed to take the attack, but it looked damaged.

“Alright, now that the Yungoos has been damaged, we can throw a Pokéball at it! Like so!” the Professor chucked a Pokéball that hit square on the Yungoos’ head.

Yungoos went into the ball, and as the ball shook, Professor Kukui watched it. This would determine whether or not he’d actually catch the Pokémon. In the end, it made a clicking sound, signalling the capture was successful.

“And that’s how it’s done” Kukui started. “Now, I’m gonna give you a few Pokéballs to use, as well as some Potions to keep your Pokémon in tip-top shape.

He handed me 10 Pokéballs, and 5 Potions. It’s weird that he’s giving me all this stuff while I don’t have a Pokémon, but I guess each Professor does it differently… After another 10 minutes of him giving me little pointers, and the like, we’d reached Iki Town. It was a small, quaint village. A few houses here and there, but nothing extraordinary. In the center of the village, however, was a small stage at the center of the town, but I had no idea what it was for.

“Yvonne, I’d like you to meet my friend here, his name is Hala” the Professor introduced me.
“Nice to meet you, Yvonne. I heard you just moved to the Alola region. Great choice!” Hala said.
“Nice to meet you too, Hala!” I shook his hand.

Hala was an older, bigger man. He presented himself like a leader would, but it could just be his experience talking. You never know with the elderly…

“Alright, let’s get down to business. I’ve been called here to give you your starter Pokémon. There are three starter Pokémon native to the Alola region, which you will see now” Hala informed me.

He sent out the first one. It was a bird of some type, looked like it would be the grass type one. If it’s Grass and Flying, I’m not picking it.

“This one is called Rowlet, he’s a Grass and Flying type that can be found flying through the trees in the jungle you see behind me” Hala described the bird.

Nope, moving on. Hala sent out the second one. It was feline, and it looked to be the fire type. Cute!

“This one is called Litten, he’s a Fire type native to Akala Island, and the influence of the volcano there has caused its fire type”

It’s cute, better than anything I could pick in Sinnoh, but I’d like to see the last one first. As if on queue, Hala sent out the third one. It looked like a seal, and before it could hit the ground, it landed on a baloon it made. It's definitely the water type.

“This one is called Popplio. It can be found on the coasts of Melemele Island, where it’s known to sing the most captivating of songs!”

I was 100% picking that Popplio. It was adorable! Plus, I bet it’s evolution is just stunningly beautiful.

“So, have you made your choice?” Hala asked me.
“I have, I choose Popplio” I told him.
“Alright. I’ll return the other two…” Hala said as he returned them to their Pokéballs. “Now, I want you try and connect with it. In Alola, the Pokémon must choose you as well. If it doesn’t choose you then it will not be your partner” he finished.

I sat there, gazing into Popplio’s eyes. It looked back at me. It looked like it was thinking, whether or not it should go for it. I wanted it to. It was gorgeous, and I could tell it had an amazing personality.

“Bark bark!” the Popplio clapped it’s paws.
“Well, it looks like it’s made up its mind” Hala said, handing it’s Pokéball to me.
“Welcome to the team Popplio!” I exclaimed, excitedly.

Pokémon: Popplio

Nature: Modest
Ability: Liquid Voice
Level: 5
Moves: Pound, Water Gun, Growl

“Well, I suggest you get training! We’re going to have a festival tomorrow evening, along with a small tournament with some Iki Town trainers! I hope you’ll be in attendance” Kukui told me.
“As do I. It’s a great way to be sent off on your journey, in fact” Hala added.
“Well, then I will! I’ll get to training, of course!” I told them.

After that, I was sent on my way to begin training. Which I happily did, I was just glad to have a Pokémon by my side. Popplio hopped at my feet following me. It looked just as happy as I did, really. While walking along Route 1 to train, I noticed that there was an absolutely massive rock in the way of another path.

“Why the hell is this here?” I asked myself. “Well, let’s squeeze around it and find out”. I returned Popplio to it’s Pokéball for a minute, and worked on squeezing myself through this rock.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Training Wheels

It took a lot of work to squeeze through that rock, but eventually it was done. Considering I’d made it through, I had to send Popplio back out.

“Come on out Popplio!” I shouted.
“Bark bark!” it said as it came out of the Pokéball.

It was time for us to explore this new area. It wasn’t big, nor was it out of the ordinary, but it was well hidden. Popplio and I were moving through the grass, wanting to test ourselves against the wild. Surely enough, a Pokémon arrived.

“Caterpie!” the Pokémon cried.

I was familiar with this one, you could find it near Jubilife City, as a matter of fact. I decided I’d catch it. I remembered the Professor told me I needed to weaken the Pokémon before attempting to catch it, though.

“Alright Popplio, ready?” I asked her.
“Bark!” she nodded, signalling she was.
“Alright then, use Water Gun!” I told her.

It shot a blast of water from its mouth and landed it directly at the bug Pokémon. Unfortunately, it was enough power to scare the Caterpie off.

“Well, that didn’t go well. It’s not your fault, Popplio, I guess it wasn’t looking for a fight” I said.
“Bark bark!” she replied. I had no idea what she said, though.

We kept trekking through these dense grasses, looking for other opponents. We fought this one bird-like Pokémon I saw earlier. I remember Kukui calling it Pikipek, as well as a Pichu. However, the electric type attacks were threatening, and we didn’t engage. We were exhausted after all the battling we were doing, so I pulled out one of the Potions the Professor gave me, and sprayed it all over Popplio. It flinched a bit, but considering it didn’t run for the hills it must’ve known that Potions would help it in the long run.

After that, we continued looking for Pokémon to face, and eventually we turned up on a Pokémon I wouldn’t have expected to see here. Munchlax.

“Munch munch!” the Munchlax bellowed, as it was eating some berries.

Munchlax is native to the Sinnoh region, I wouldn’t have expected to see it here. But I guess it is, and how it’s here isn’t that important. I decided I wanted to catch one of these.

“Alright, Popplio use Water Gun!” I said.
“Popplio once again blew a blast of water from it’s mouth, hitting the Munchlax square on it’s stomach.

The Munchlax rolled back, and looked surprised. That mood changed instantly, it turned angry. It fought back, using Tackle to hit Popplio.

“Popplio, Water Gun once more!”
“Bark!” Popplio shouted as it blasted yet another beam of water towards the angered Pokémon.

I could Munchlax’s strength was waning, now was my chance.

“Go, Pokéball!” I exclaimed, throwing the Pokéball towards the Munchlax. It was absorbed into the Pokéball, which proceeded to shake for a few seconds. I was watching it closely, hoping it wouldn’t burst out.

To my dismay, it did. It looked even angrier than before, and charged Popplio with an even more powerful Tackle than before. Popplio fell back, obviously hurt. I was going to return it, but Popplio blasted a huge Water Gun back at the Munchlax, un-commanded. Munchlax fell to the ground, it didn’t even try to get up. Instead of throwing a Pokéball, I tapped my next empty one to it’s head, and it was absorbed into it. Only one shake before it clicked, telling me I’d caught it.

“Awesome! Thanks so much Popplio!” I was super cheery now, and I felt on top of the world.

Pokémon: Munchlax

Nature: Bashful
Ability: Pickup
Level: 6
Moves: Tackle, Defense Curl, Recycle

“Alright, we need to get to the Pokémon Center, Popplio. Munchlax is badly injured, and we need to get it healed” I told her.

We rushed to the Pokémon Center, which was luckily only a few minutes away from us. We barged in, rushing to the Nurse Joy running the place.

“Excuse me, Nurse Joy, but could you please heal my Munchlax?” I asked her.
“Of course, I’ll take it into the back. Would you like us to heal your Popplio while you’re at it?” Nurse Joy replied.
“Yes, please. I think they both need it after today”
“Alright, you should be all set. They’re most likely just exhausted, so they should be out within the next hour or so. In the meantime, you could grab yourself a bite while you wait”
“Thanks, I will” I told her, as I was off on my way to grab some food.

There was only one restaurant in the place, and unluckily, it was a Steakhouse. I loved steak, especially from the finest Miltank, but I don’t love how expensive they are. It being the only option wasn’t something I loved either, but I was absolutely starved. I swear whoever built this Pokémon Center is a frickin genius…

I called my mom to make sure it was okay, and she sent me some money that should’ve been able to cover the bill. Looks like I would be able to eat, after all.

“Hello, welcome to Whitney’s Chophouse, how may I help you today?” asked the hostess at the front.
“I’d just like a seat, please. Anywhere’s fine” I answered.
“Alright, just you?”
“Yep”
“Alright then, follow me” he said, leading me towards a small table in the center of the establishment.

I began to take a look at the menu, but I was shortly interrupted by someone. I figured it’d be a waiter, but nope. It was Professor Kukui.

“Hey Yvonne! Fancy meeting you here, huh?” the Professor exclaimed
“Hi Professor! What’re you doing here?”
“I’m having dinner with an acquaintance of mine. I could ask you the same question”
“I’m just here waiting for my Popplio to heal”

I didn’t want to let him know I had a Munchlax, I planned to just reveal my newest friend at the festival tomorrow evening.

“You know, I’d actually like you to meet her” Kukui said, signalling whoever she was over here.
“Yvonne, this Lillie. Lillie, Yvonne”
“Nice to meet you, Yvonne. The Professor has told me a bit about you” Lillie greeted me.
“Nice to meet you too Lillie”

Out of nowhere, Lillie’s bag shook, and made a very faint sound. She started patting the bag, which seemed to calm it down.

“Is… is there something in Lillie’s bag?” I asked.
“Well…” Lillie began.
“I think you can tell her, she’s pretty trustworthy” Kukui told her.

Lillie gulped, noticeably, as if she were a bit reluctant to tell whatever it is she may.

“Well, you see, I have a Pokémon in the bag…” Lillie whispered.

Now I was confused. What? Why is it in the bag? What Pokémon is it?

“Lillie, forgive me for asking, but why the hell is it in that bag? The establishment has no such bans on allowing Pokémon to enter it” I asked, kinda lost.
“Well, it’s because this is a very rare Pokémon, and a lot of people are trying to find it…”

I was still confused, but chose not to press on. It seemed she didn’t enjoy the subject, so I dropped it. Not like she’d clear up any of my confusion, either. We continued talking about other things, and now I can say Lillie’s my first friend my own age in Alola. We exchanged numbers so we could talk while I was on the road. Right after we did that, she and the Professor left.

That had probably taken like, half an hour, meaning my main course should be ready any minute now. Surely enough…

“Alright ma’am, here’s your Filet Mignon done Medium, with a side of steak fries. Enjoy your meal, and please, come again” the waiter said as he left the table.

I dug in. It was delicious! The steak was done perfectly, as were the fries. Not to mention, whatever sauce this steak was paired with was amazing! I hadn’t had a meal this good in almost two years! I destroyed that meal. Shortly after, the check came. Looks like mom did her math, 1100 Pokédollars was what I was given, and 966 was the final bill. The rest was for the tip, of course. After that was done and paid for I picked up Popplio and Munchlax and was getting ready to head home. The sun was beginning to set, and I was supposed to be home before dusk.

Popplio walked beside me in the streets, as we began heading home. We trekked back up Route 1, and were about to turn towards our house, but someone got in the way.

“You wanna get past the great and powerful Joey!? Well you’ll have to defeat me in battle to do that!” the kid, Joey apparently, shouted at the top of his f-ing lungs.
“Beat it kid, I live here” I told him.
“Should I care? Go Rattata!” the stupid child screeched.
“Okay, then we’ll be doing this the hard way” I say as I motion for Popplio to step forward.

I glanced at his Rattata, it looked different than any Rattata I’ve ever seen. Must have been one of those Pokémon my mom was supposed to catch. Interesting.

“Popplio, use Water Gun!”
“Rattata, Bite attack go!”

Both Pokémon went to use their own attacks, though Rattata tried to literally bite Popplio. Popplio flinched, but avoided the attack. Unfortunately, because it flinched it was unable to land Water Gun.

“Rattata, Bite again!”

Instead of it landing this time, Popplio dodged it, and used a move I’d never seen before. It was an incredibly painful singing sound, that knocked out that Rattata like that.

“Like I said before, beat it” I wasn’t kidding.
“What, how? I’m gonna train really hard tomorrow, I’m gonna beat you at the festival!” Joey cried.
“Whatever, sure”

I walked past that stupid kid, and entered the doors of my new home.

“Hi honey! How was your day?” my mom asked me.
“It was great, mom! How was yours? It seems like everything’s been unpacked”
“It has, I was a bit lazy and hired some people to unpack for me”

“Why am I not surprised?”

We shared a laugh over this. Mom was never the most active person, and whenever she could she’d try to get other people to do things for her. After we talked a bit more, I went upstairs to my room. I saw it was unpacked and set up as well. Nice.

“Alright, come on out you two!” I said, sending Popplio and Munchlax out.
“It’s nighttime, so we’re gonna go to sleep, okay?” I asked them both.
“Munch”
“Bark!”

Both nodded their heads in approval. They were tired from today, Munchlax from getting his ass kicked, and Popplio just from battling as much as it did. Eh, they needed it. As did I. I passed out on my bed, as did Popplio. Munchlax found peace in sleeping on my massive Snorlax doll. And then all was still…

Chapter 3: Battle Craving

I woke up in the middle of the night that night. Checked the clock on my nightstand, it’s 3:08AM. This is unusual. Normally, I’d sleep like a rock and be undisturbed until the sun started burning my retinas each morning.

I could feel that I wasn’t gonna be able to go back to sleep, so I didn’t really bother trying. I stood up from my bed, ready to hop on my computer or something, read the news, play some games, I don’t know. Just something to fill my time until dawn. But it would seem I woke up Popplio in the process of getting out of my bed.

“Bark?” she asked, sounding a bit confused.
“Don’t worry, I just woke up early. Don’t know why. You can go back to sleep” I told her.

That did not work, after I told her I was up, she hopped right off my bed and was standing by my feet, looking like she was ready for an adventure.

“You’re… not going back to sleep?” I asked.
“Bark” she shook her head in the negative.

Welp, spending 4 hours on a computer with a baloon-making seal isn’t what I thought would happen, and now that I say it it sounds pretty damn lame. Screw that. Popplio started sprinting for the door out of nowhere, which took me out of my thoughts. I wondered where she wanted to go and what she wanted to do.

“Bark!” Popplio barked loudly. She was pointing her head towards the doorknob, confirming my suspicions.
“Training at 3AM is not how I imagined my first night as a trainer, but sure” I told her.

Right as I began opening the door, I heard a noticeable step somewhere around the hallway. I’m not sure if it was from upstairs or down the hall. If my mom caught me trying to leave at 3AM my entire journey would be cancelled at the snap of a finger. Frantically, I decided to hide in the closet in case it was her and not just nothing.

The steps kept getting louder and louder, which must’ve meant whoever was making them was getting closer and closer. Popplio and I peak out of the closet shutters, motionless. Of course, it’s just Munchlax. Of frickin course. We burst from the closet, I put him in his Pokéball, and we’re out the door. And I’m only thinking about how that could’ve gone way worse than expected.

Soon enough, we’re down by the water, and all we could do was stare at it. It’s a lot prettier than the water you’ll find in Sinnoh, which can either constantly be murked by electrical facilities or just in general be polluted. This was the opposite of all of that… We can see a couple of big rocks scattered across the beach, it’d make sense if we were to train by destroying these big rocks, no? But first, I gotta send Munchlax out.

“Alright, we’re gonna train by destroying these rocks! You guys ready?” I asked them.
“Bark!”
“Munch!”

Sounds like a yes to me.

“Popplio, Water Gun on that rock over there” I command, pointing to my left.
“Munchlax, Tackle that rock behind you!”

Both do as instructed, and both rocks were destroyed. Perfect.

“Perfect! Popplio, Water Gun the rock in front of me!”
“Munchlax, Tackle the one to my right!”

Once again, both rocks were smashed. Maybe they were a bit more weathered than I originally thought. Oh well, what’s done is done. We continued training against wild Pokémon. Some Slowpoke, those Alolan Rattata, and Pikipek were all defeated by Munchlax and Popplio. Both were growing stronger.

We walked back to the beach, where I put a towel down for us all to rest on. I gave some Poké Beans to them, which Lillie gave to me earlier at Whitney’s Chophouse. It’s really cool, you feed them these things as treats and they grow affectionate to you. Kind of like Poffins but less complicated to make and less about appeal.

“Having trouble sleeping?” I heard someone say.

I looked up and saw Professor Kukui right there. What the hell is he doing here? Is he stalking me? Do I need to call CPS?

“Hi Professor, what’re you doing here at this hour?” I asked him.
“I live right over there” he said, pointing to a nice looking shack about 300 feet away. “Some noise woke me up and I decided to see what it was”.
“Oh, sorry about that!”

I had no idea he lived here. That’s kinda weird, to live on a beach with no other shacks in sight. Why would he choose to do that?

“Don’t worry about it, you should never apologize for building bonds with your Pokémon” he smiled.
“Well, thanks”
“And I see you caught another one? Munchlax, huh. That’s awesome!”

I forgot I was trying to hide him from everyone. I thought no one would be out at this hour, and it caught me off guard that someone was.

“Yeah, I caught him yesterday. He was a tough one but it worked, luckily” I said, feeling proud of my accomplishment yesterday.
“Well, just make sure you take good care of him and you’ll be fine. Anyway, I think I’m gonna go back to sleep. You get back home soon, it’s not the safest thing in the world to be out this late” Kukui warned.
“Alright, I will. Goodnight Professor”

He retired into his shack, shutting the door behind him. I began to walk off the beach, and back onto the main route to head towards home.

I returned Popplio and Munchlax briefly, while tip-toeing up the stairs into my room. Waking mom up would be absolutely horrible. Luckily, I succeeded, creeping up into my bed without making any noise. After that, I sent Popplio and Munchlax out to sleep where they were, so that they could rest through the final hours of the night…

Chapter 4: Everything Tastes Amazing

There it is. The sun, baking my eyes as seems to be the norm. I look at the clock, it’s 7:22AM. Morning time, which means time to go ahead and train. I jolted up, and went go to change. As soon as I finished with that, Popplio and Munchlax were awake. We walked downstairs to grab some breakfast.

“How’s my little Pokémon Trainer?” my mom asked me.

I already hated this new nickname.

“I’m good, how about yourself?”
“I’m wonderful! I picked up some Pokéfood early this morning, I think your Pokémon will like it, alot! By the way, which one did you end up picking?”

There was no use hiding Munchlax from my mom, since he needed to eat and all.

“Well, they’re both at my feet, take a look!” I told her.

My mom took a long look at them, noticing both Popplio and Munchlax.

“Ooh it’s adorable!” she yelled, squeezing Popplio so tight I feared for her safety. “And I see you caught a Munchlax too? That’s great, sweety!”
“Thanks mom, now what’s for breakfast?”

I was starving, that meal last night was big but 3AM training drained me.

“Well, we’ve got some pancakes for us, and some Pokéfood for the Pokémon. Here you go, enjoy! I made them myself, as usual!” my mom said, handing me a plate of pancakes. “And here you guys go as well!” giving my Pokémon some food.

We all destroyed those meals. I guess we were all starved. Munchlax ate 3 bowls of food. Well, I can already tell this Munchlax will be eating up my money (no pun intended).

“Alright mom, we’re off to train. We’ll see you at the festival!” I wave to her.
“Bye sweety. Be safe, okay!”

I’m walking up Route 1 towards Iki Town, hoping that I’d be able to battle some trainers. To my disappointment, no one was out right now. Instead, I just decided to train against wild Pokémon. I did this for awhile, but right after I defeated a Yungoos…

“Hello Yvonne” someone said.

I turned around, trying to locate the voice. To my slight surprise, it’s Lillie standing right behind me, bag in tow.

“Oh! Hi Lillie, how’re you?” I asked.
“I’m great! I’m excited for the festival tonight, how about you?” she replied.
“As am I. I’ll be competing in this little tournament they’re throwing, which makes it all the more exciting. Are you?”
“No, I’ll just be watchi-” Lillie started.

Out of nowhere, her bag burst open. Out from it came some sort of Pokémon. It’s hard to describe what it was, but it kinda resembled the stars.

“Oh Nebby, come on” Lillie said, shaking her head.
“Pew pew!” the “Nebby” danced around, seemingly happy to be free from the bag.
“Nebby get in the bag! You know it’s not safe!” Lillie exclaimed.
“Pew…” Nebby said quietly, as it re-entered the bag.

I just stood there, confused.

“What… what the hell just happened?” I asked.
“Sorry about that. Well now that the nebula’s out of the bag I may as well tell you what that was” Lillie started.

Why is she being so secretive of a Pokémon? I had too many questions.

“You see, Nebby is a species of Pokémon called Cosmog. It’s a very rare and potentially very powerful Pokémon. Many people across the Alola region are trying to take it” Lillie whispered.
“I see, so you’re trying to protect it?” I asked.
“Yes” she replied.

I still don’t really get, but all I can do is nod my head in understanding.

“Well, since it’s almost lunch time, do you wanna grab some lunch? There’s a really good buffet in Hau’oli City. Plus, I want you to meet one of my friends” Lillie smiled.
“Sure, I could eat. My Pokémon and I need it for the festival”

We start walking towards the west end of Hau’oli City. I’ve hear Hau’oli is the biggest city in the Alola region. It’s funny to me, since it doesn’t even compare to Jubilife. At all. We eventually reached the buffet after about half an hour of walking through th “bustling” city. We went inside, and… it smelled amazing. I looked at what could be picked up at the buffet, and I was stunned. I was so ready to dig in and start devouring everything I could. But it seemed this was one of those places where you pay upfront.

“Alright, that’ll be 170 Pokédollars for each of you” the hostess said.
“I’ll pay, Yvonne. It was my idea, after all” Lillie smiled.

Soon enough we were seated, served and were on our way to begin eating. I picked up some Miltank Cheese Pizza, a Chansey Omelette, and a Vanillite Parfait for my first round. But when I started walking back to the table, I saw Lillie talking away with someone.

“Hah really? The whole thing!” Lillie laughed.
“I’m not kidding, gone in a single bite!” the boy said.

Lillie looked up and noticed I was here.

“Oh, Hau! I wanted you to meet someone. This is Yvonne, we meet at the Pokémon Center last night. She’ll be competing in the festival, so you may want to watch out for her!” Lillie told the boy.

He was dark-skinned, a bit taller than either of us but he sounded like he was our age. He had a very goofy demeanor about him.

“Hi Yvonne, nice to meet you! Can’t wait to face you in the festival tonight!” Hau grinned.
“Nice to meet you too, Hau!” I smiled.

He and Lillie went off to get some food. Lillie returned with a Tamato Pasta and Hoenn Ramen, while Hau returned with a big pile of some sort of bread on his plate.

“Um, Hau? Why so much of just one thing?” I asked.
“Well, I just love malasada, that’s all!” he grinned ear to ear.

The second after he said that, he dug in, absolutely destroying roll after roll, which are apparently called malasadas.

I ate my pizza, my omelette, and my parfait and couldn’t eat much more. It was all so good! I’ve had two amazing meals in Alola so far, is all of their food this good? But even though I was pretty full, Hau passed me a malasada.

“Since Lillie told me this is only youre second day in Alola, you should try one of these” Hau said. “It’s an Alola specialty, it’s really good!”.

I could tell there would be no use protesting, so I bit into it. Oh my Arceus, I was in heaven. It was sweet, but not too sweet, dry but not too dry, even a small bit tangy. It was euphoric, I was entranced in the taste. Seriously, everything tastes amazing here!

“Well, how is it?”
“It’s amazing!” I shout.
“That’s awesome! Now we can eat these together!” Hau smiled.

And from there we just continued destroying these things. I was stuffed after eating 4 of them, and couldn’t continue. After that, we left the restaurant, feeling fatter than ever.

“Well, it was nice meeting you Yvonne, I’ll see you at the festival!” Hau said, as he walked towards the Pokémon Center.
“Hau’s awesome, Yvonne. When I first came to Melemele he welcomed me with open arms. He’s very sweet, besides all the goofy stuff” Lillie said.
“He sure seemed that way”
“Well, I actually have to be on my way as well. I’ll cheer you and Hau on tonight, bye!” Lillie said, heading off towards the Pokémon Center as well.

With that I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon training, I needed to be ready for tonight…

Chapter 5: The Festival

Evening had arrived, after a long day of training, which meant it was about time for me to head over to Iki Town for the festival. I headed through Route 1 as usual, and into Iki Town. The sun began to set, signalling the beginning of the festival. I hope I wasn’t too late.

Luckily, I wasn’t. Pretty much the second I stepped foot into Iki Town, I was carried to the stage by the townsfolk. I was plopped right next to Hau, that kid from last night, and some other boy I’d never seen before.

“Alright!” Hala began. “Let us begin the annual festival, in honor of our guardian! We have three exciting matches for you, Tapu Koko. We hope you enjoy them!”

The crowd began to cheer in excitement. They were all rooting and cheering for us.

“Our first trainer is a young girl who has only just arrived in Alola, her name is Yvonne! She will be battling against Joey, a young boy native to the island! This will be a 1-on-1 match!” Hala shouted, you could hear the excitement and thrill in his voice.

“Battle begin!”

I sent out Popplio, after learning that Disarming Voice worked well against his Rattata. He, of course, sent out his Rattata.

“Alright Popplio use Disarming Voice!”
“Rattata Bite attack go!”

Rattata began to charge at Popplio, but before it could land it’s Bite, Popplio’s Disarming Voice hit it. Hard. It was sent flying back and barely managed to stand up. Not only was it damaged, it was dizzy.

“Oh no! Rattata, use Bite again!”

Rattata instead managed to bite itself, causing it to faint. Pretty sad…

“Rattata is knocked out! The winner is Yvonne!” Hala declared.

The village was cheering loudly for me, and before I knew it I was being praised.

“Now I hope you’ll stick around for our next match! Our next match is between Hau, the grandson of the Kahuna, and Lila a long time native!” Hala boomed.
“Good luck Lila” Hau smiled.
“You too, Hau!” Lila exclaimed.

We all sat there, waiting for Hala to begin the battle.

“Battle begin!”

Hau sent out… a Pichu? Cool. Lila sent out a Pokémon I’d never seen before. It looked frail and small, like it couldn’t take a hit.

“Pichu use Thundershock!”
“Cutiefly use Fairy Wind!”

Ah, Cutiefly? Okay. That’s a new one. Both their attacks were sent flying each way, but Cutiefly looked like it had been fried. Just like that, it was down on the ground and knocked out.

“Cutiefly is knocked out! The winner is Hau!” Hala said with a huge grin on his face.

Why wouldn’t he be happy, apparently Hau is his grandson and his grandson won. He should be proud.

“This brings us to our final match… Yvonne will battle Hau, who will be declared the winner? It’s time to find out!”

Hau remained on the stage, while I took Lila’s spot.

“Battle begin!”
“Go Litten!”
“Munchlax let’s go!”

Litten? Damn, should’ve went for Popplio again.

“Use Ember, Litten!”
“Tackle Munchlax!”

Munchlax ran right through the Ember as if it were nothing, and sent Litten flying off the stage. It ran back, instantly, of course.

“Whoa, Yvonne you’re pretty strong! But we’re stronger, Litten use Ember again!” Hau exclaimed.
“Dodge it, Munchlax, then use Tackle!”

Once again, Munchlax landed Tackle, only this time dodging the Ember. Litten standed no chance, this was over. Litten was knocked out.

“Litten is knocked out! The winner is Yvonne!” Hala exclaimed.

The crowd cheered and cheered and cheered. With that, they went to enjoy the other activities at the festival. I was going to, as well. But Hala stopped me first.

“That was some phenomenal battling you did there. Here, I’d like to give you something” Hala said, as he was pulling something out of his pocket. “Here”

He put some sort of thing on my wrist. I’d never seen it before, but if it was kahuna’s gift it must be somewhat useful.

“This is called a Z-Power Ring. You’ll be able to use all types of Z Crystals with your Pokémon with this. I think you’ll find a use for it someday” Hala said. “With that, enjoy the rest of the festival!”

Hala walked off and joined the crowd. Soon enough, Lillie and Hau found me.

“Hey Yvonne! That was awesome! Congratulations on winning!” Lillie applauded.
“Yeah, it was awesome!” Hau shouted.
“Thanks guys! Now, what’s there to enjoy at the festival?” I asked.
“There’s a lot of things! Great food, great company, side battles, and even some other fun competitions. For instance, there’s Sandshrew rolling, Exeggutor climbing, and other fun things to do!” Hau cheered.
“Sandshrew rolling? Exeggutor climbing?” I chuckled.

What the hell was this? Climbing Exeggutors? Rolling Sandshrews? I wonder what else they do here…

“Well, let’s do all of it!” I told them.
“Alright!” Lillie nodded.

With that we were off, and were headed towards the activities. I knew it would be a long night of festivities and fun.

Back