Discussion Healing Scarf

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
This new tool card heals 20 HP every time you attach an energy from your hand to the Pokemon. I already see some potential with the Dragon Mega Rayquaza's damage reduction ancient trait. It could also be good with Primal Kyogre's ancient trait. Healing is an overlooked tactic, but it comes into play a quite a bit and when it does, it can decide games.

It seems like it'd be handy in non M-Gard Fairy decks, to alleviate the need for Max Potion early game

(Yes, I know it's only from hand, not just when it's attached, but you still mostly attach from hand then move it around).

Healing 20 is no big deal. Even 40 isn't enough to turn 2hko into a 3hko. We'll see, though. Could be very underrated.

If the healing scarf stacks with abilities like Sceptile's Nurture and Heal. It could turn 1 energy drop to 50 HP. With multiple Sceptile and energy, it can easily heal for a useful amount on anything that can make use of grass energy.

Hopefully the a new Grass Ex/Mega has some sort of attack that puts energy back into your hand or something. This could make Sceptile Nurture and Heal + Healing Scarf pretty broken.

The problem with Healing Scarf is how little it does for you. Most Pokemon will be 2HKO'd anyway, and often because they missed the OHKO. The only place I could see it being useful on would be in conjunction with a Blastoise. That way you could heal 60-80 damage a turn which is significant. That said, Blastoise has too many problems to work consistently in this format.

Another important thing to remember is that it reduces damage from only the first attack and not the second or third like Hard Charm would. What I mean is, say you have a Ho-Oh EX in play with a Healing Scarf attached. It gets hit for 90, and then you heal 20 on your turn, but then gets hit again for 90 when it comes back, Knocking you out. If it had a Hard Charm, it'd take 70 from the first hit (because 90 base damage gets reduced by 20 from the Charm) and then 70 on the second hit, leaving it alive with 140HP.

If you can accelerate energy from hand it could be worth it, but there aren't good options with that in format.

Doesn't it have potential with Primal Kyogre? With Rough Seas up and both energy attachments from Growth, you would heal 70 each turn. I'm not exactly sure how P Kyogre is played, but I feel like you could also combine with Archie's Ace in the Hole and Aurorus to create quite a tank.

Ohh yeah, I forgot about that haha. Would something like 2 tool retrievers add too much clunk to the deck? Because they'd also be useful in getting rid of the Team Flare Tools.

I only see it working with Fairy decks, M-Gardevoir or Florges EX. Just healing them and then moving the Energy to another pokemon with Slurpuff.
Seems a pretty good card at those decks, in others, no.
Kyogre EX must have it's spirit link to work in a good way, I use it, and losing a turn is not good.

I only see it working with Fairy decks, M-Gardevoir or Florges EX. Just healing them and then moving the Energy to another pokemon with Slurpuff.
Seems a pretty good card at those decks, in others, no.
Kyogre EX must have it's spirit link to work in a good way, I use it, and losing a turn is not good.

You have Max Potion in Fairy decks, without it those decks would cease to function because they would lose all board position in a single turn. Even with Max Potion out of rotation come September, Super Potion is a much better replacement than Healing Scarf which takes place of your Muscle Bands, Hard Charms and in Gardevoir's case; Spirit Links.

As I said before, Healing Scarf is only worth it if you can accelerate at least 3 Energy in a turn.

It works pretty well in a deck i built recently. Kyogre, Keldeo, reuniclius. Its only expanded, but it lets you move damage counters around heal with rough sea and then healing scarf for addition heal when rough seas wouldn't do it or is counter. The spirit link isn't completely require and can be tool retrieved which is nice to remove flare gear. It is completely pointless to anything that can OHKO the pokemon though.

It could be interesting w/ Nurture+Heal/Alpha Heal. Imagine healing 100 damage every single turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main use I could see for healing scarf is with nurture and heal sceptile attaching to trevenant. With each energy attached this way you not only add 20 damage to the attack, but also heal 50. with two sceptile you could heal 100 damage.

I think it could be useful in P Kygore.

It will turn a 2HKO into a 3HKO when rough seas is in play in a few cases, e.g. when you are being hit for 120 or 140. Anyway, when you play the deck, you often rack up quite a bit of damage on a P Kyogre and then get a chance to bench the Kyogre and heal it off. An extra 40 here and there on top of rough seas will just speed that along and help you to keep the Kyogres fresh.

You'll need to run xerosic of tool retriever, but I like to have one or both in Kyogre anyway.

Healing 70 per turn in Primal Kyogre is amazing (20+20 for healing scarf and 30 for rough seas).
The deck would need to change to accommodate the double attachment each turn, so more Tool retriever, more Suicune, and more energy retrievals.

Healing 70 per turn in Primal Kyogre is amazing (20+20 for healing scarf and 30 for rough seas).
The deck would need to change to accommodate the double attachment each turn, so more Tool retriever, more Suicune, and more energy retrievals.

My old list ran 13 energy, 3 professor's letters, tool retriever and Xerosic (I liked the flexibility of Xerosic but could have made it 2 tool retrievers). 3 professor's letters and no energy retrievals because professor's letter gives you energy in the early/mid-game, which is when you need it. I had space for 2 tools- I was trying different combinations but could never quite make my mind up. The list was super consistent despite having 2 slots for tool retrieving. It didn't have too much energy and I didn't find letters turning up when I didn't need them. Right now I am trying a version with no tools, but I will probably go back and try one with healing scarf.

IMO, when you play Primal Kyogre you must do everything you can to get the double attachment every turn anyway. If you can draw enough energy it sometimes doesn't even matter if you have a second Primal Kyogre ready or your switching engine in place. Because the logic of the deck is simply- if you can stream tidal storms you will probably win, if you can't you will very likely lose.

I can't help but think this makes Wailord EX/Deluge Blastoise decks absolutely insane. Especially ran with 4 super scoop ups. Maybe Az and superior energy retrievals. I think there is a deck list in there. Throw in Rough seas and you have a pokemon that could be almost impossble to kill if you can't 1 shot a 250hp poke.

Back