Have you noticed some of the D/P cards are very similar to the base set?

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I was putting my new cards and I looked at my Goldeen,Haunter and Ponyta and their attacks are very similar. Haunters attacks are exactly the same except dream eater does 60 instead of 50 and 1 of Goldeen's and 1 of Ponyta's attck on each card are the same but their levels are diffrent and also the HP on every card is backwards instead of forwards. Compare theese three cards by using the set lists on the main site. I just noticed it today but I think it is awesome. They are bringing back old cards with a new look. Sweet Oh the Pokemon pictures on the card are diffrent but they are basically the same. Well almost.:)

Yeah, they're doing some throwbacks every here and then. Take a look at Machop as well.

I can see a Fire Spinning Charizard coming.

Yeah, I've noticed that the DP cards are alot like some Base Set/Jungle/Fossil cards and not just in the attacks of Haunter/Machop/Ponyta/etc. The energy costs are alos changing to be alot like the older cards. In the EX series, most cards needed 1, maybe 2 specific energies, and the rest colourless requirments, but now, in DP, alot of them seem to need all of a specific energy to pay for the attack (eg, Luxray needing 4 Lightning, Drifblim needing 3 Psychic, etc.). Now compare that to some of the older cards. Base Set Charizard - 4 Fire energies, Jungle Venemoth - 2 Grass. Has anyone else noticed that sort of energy cost coming back?

Lou Cypher said:
I can see a Fire Spinning Charizard coming.

Please may that not happen, lets have a good Charizard for once.

Fire Recharge Typhlo and Charizard wasn't too bad of a combo, you got yourself DCEs too speed up. Dark Charizard and Dark Typhlosion wasn't bad in either line. So yeah... lol, it wasn't THAT bad.

Not only are the attacks the same, but remember we got flavor text and levels back. PlusPower is back as well. I see lots of cards taking on more and more coin flipping, which made up a lot of the game back in the original sets.

I noticed the energy requirements too Jiggs. That's why boost has actually been playable lately, but now they're forcing us to keep our energy pretty consistent. This is gonna be pretty tough the so many Holon Pokemon rotating. I'm prolly gonna be playing Multis more often from now on.

I honestly can't say if I like these changes or not.

Anyone else notice they changed the color of the text on Dark Pokemon from black to white?

Years ago, when I was bored I used to read the flavour text on the cards. I think it is useful for new players because they get to know about the pokemon too.
What I think they are trying to do is to make the cards more like base set because that was when pokemon was really popular. So these new cards will appeal to all of the old fans. We may see old players come back to the game.

Incredible, all my memories from when Pokemon was very popular are coming back. Recently I have seen pretty many threads made by old players that were coming back to Pokemon. Also, fake cards are becoming always more. Could this all be a sign that Pokemon is getting it's old importance again? Let's hope....

Yes they are reprinting alot of old base set cards (only diff is weakness and resistance). I fear that only more proves it. They're running out of ideas. 29 of the D/P Pokemon are related to premade pokemon, and 16 are legendaries. That's 2x as many as R/S/E.(not including pokemon you can't catch in the wild). that's 45 out of 106 pokemon that just old ideas, plus Pachirsu (pikachu) Garchop(sharpedo and flygon) and a bunch of other simialar pokemon. Now they're reprinting cards, even from base set. It's a bad sign.

Master of the six kings said:
Yes they are reprinting alot of old base set cards (only diff is weakness and resistance). I fear that only more proves it. They're running out of ideas. 29 of the D/P Pokemon are related to premade pokemon, and 16 are legendaries. That's 2x as many as R/S/E.(not including pokemon you can't catch in the wild). that's 45 out of 106 pokemon that just old ideas, plus Pachirsu (pikachu) Garchop(sharpedo and flygon) and a bunch of other simialar pokemon. Now they're reprinting cards, even from base set. It's a bad sign.

Though the cards are awesome and it makes it feel like old times and that is the way I like it and I loved the older sets and that could be why the TCG is 400% higher than it was too. If they print more of the older cards and with the old format then their sales will skyrocket in booster pack and boxes too. It make me feel good because the old cards means they may bring back sweet Pokemon episodes too. I have been waiting for a very long time to see some of the older cards because those were the best cards ever made and they have not had that good of cards since the Johto cards. The Hoen cards were awesome but they did not have the format like the rest of the TCG cards. I know they were for the e-reader but they could have kept the format so it would be easier to put my cards in my binder faster. Now that the format is back it will not take very long because all I have to do is look at the Pokemon number and put the card in the right place. As before I had to look for the Pokemon on one of my posters before I could put the card in. It saves alot of time for me now that the format is back it will not take very long to put my cards in the right place.:)

I ONLY NOTICED ONE...

MY FAVORITE TANK CARD...

ORIGINAL D/P
CHANSEY HP120 CHANSEY HP100
scrunch scrunch
double edge 80~80self double edge 80~80self
retreatcost 1 retreatcost 2

DAMN IT GOT WEAKER!!!

any way that's how it goes...

The new one only does 60 to himself, if I remember correctly.
Anywayz, I played Prerelease today and with only the D/P set, the game felt exactly like how it felt long ago, when we had the Neo sets for the first time. That's prolly why I almost won. xD

Back