• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Happy hippo and chocolate ice cream. Fighting box for standard. (Hippowdon / Carbink)

daniel rowland

Aspiring Trainer
Some of the people on this site might know that i ran a hippowdon deck and came 3-1 with it. When i first looked at this, i thought of teching in a bunch of good fighting type cards (well, the ones we're left with anyway). So a friend of mine thought the same idea and came up with a list. I forgot what it is. This is a first edition of the list, slightly incomplete but i will comment later what i'll put in.

Anyway:
pokemon:15
1 Zygarde Ex (will change to 2 later)
1 Zygarde.
2 regirock ex (soon to be 3)
3-3 hippowdon
3-2 carbink break (2 safeguard 1 energy keeper)
trainers, items:24
4 ultra ball
2 level ball
4 vs seeker
2 special charge
4 trainers mail
4 puzzle of time
1 super rod
3 float stone
trainers, stadiums
1 sky field
2 scorched earth
trainers, supporters:8
4 sycamore
2 n
1 hex maniac
1 lycandre
energy:10
6 basic fighting
4 strong energy

Now too explain some card choices:

No pokemon ranger:
personally, i think the only reason i would run this is because of glaceon/jolteon and ex lock. But i run pokemon instead to deal with that. Zygare/carbink is to deal with glaceon, hippowdon/carbink break is to deal with jolteon and ex lock.
1 Sky field, 2 scorched earth.
The first is so i can increase set up, keep lines of hippowdon and utilise it for regirock. The scorched earth is prefearably for mid/early game to add some draw power and help setup with carbink break.
1 Zygarde.
Now this personally depends on if you use it's dog form or it's 50% form. The 50% can be used slightly for stally reasons as it can keep something up in the active, and the only way they can solve the problem would be too use pokemon ranger, which is mainly a one off in most decks. 30 damage at first might seem little, but with string energy/regirock it can be massivly increased. The dog form again can be quite stally, as it can be used against popular decks like rainbow road and yveltal, and but them between a rock and a hard place. Personally, i might run 1 of each if i had the space.
1 energy keeper carbink.
This one might need a bit of explaining. If you look at my energy count, most of it is basic, and with only puzzles/carbink break and super rod to get them back, they could be quite needed. Any questions just ask

Why Hippodon (at all) which requires a "long" time to power-up, has a HUGE Retreat Cost, and does not inflict that much damage given the energy requirements? What benefits, of running this particular Pokémon, are you finding?

In my Zygarde EX deck, I just run 3 Zygzrde EX, 3-3 Carbink (Safeguard) line, and 3 Regirock EX. These work well, IMO.

One of the disadvantages of most of these Pokémon is their respective Retreat Cost. Opponents will Lysandre the "heavy" retreater to stall at times. So, I added a few switching cards (Olympia, Escape Rope and Switch) to help get unwanted Active Pokémon back to the bench. I did not choose Float Stone since opponent's can still Lysandre around the Pokémon with that Tool attached.

Why Special Charge? Carbink BREAK can recover the Strong energy; so, those Items seem excessive.

Last edited:
Back