Gyarados - Does it have any place in the new format?

Emperor

???
Ok, so a large majority of us remember the great 130 HP beast that is Gyarados SF, with its ability to do 90 for 0 energy, the awesome-ness to look Luxray GL lvX in the eye and say - "Don't evade the censors. - PMJ, i ain't scared of you" and was somewhat successful during CC and Spring BR.

Now that the new format rotation has hit us the only this Gyarados really loses is Felicity's Drawing which isn't that bad seeing as we still have Regice LA and Volkner's Philosophy (Though it doesn't provide the versatility that Felicity's gave us) so a T2 G-dos is still possible. Though now it faces a few new threats, one being Vileplume UD and its ability to shut down trainer's which does hinder G-dos somewhat as not being able to use SSU and Pokemon Rescue does hurt G-dos's recovery but we still have Combee SF.

It may not be a tier 1 deck anymore, maybe tier 1.5 as it is still pretty decent and can stand up to most things in the format, but what do YOU think? is there any hope left for G-dos, or will it just become a memory.

Edit: Posted the link to Gyarados SF. Please follow the Player's Sandbox rules. ~EspeonROX.

Gyarados from Stormfront.

I think because Felicity's got rotated out it really hurt G-Dos however it's still a good deck.

I think there is still a lot of hope left for G-dos this season. I've been playing around with it for a while, and with some tweaks made to it, I think it's still a tournament level contender this year. Albeit, this is probably the last year it'll be able to be played, but I still think it's a poseable threat, only losing a few cards.

You're correct in stating that Felecity's Drawing was about the only thing Gyarados lost but you're wrong in stating that Gyarados can still be playable this season. Losing Felecity's Drawing was a low blow to Gyarados because now it would have to be forced to use inferior things such as Regice and Volkner's Philosophy, so inferior in fact that I don't see it being viable at all.
1) Regice is in the form of a Poke-Power (i.e. Power Spray, Psychic Bind, etc.)
2) Regice has 3 retreat cost (i.e. Pokemon Reversal, Bright Look, etc.)
3) Regice doesn't draw ANY cards
4) Volkner's Philosophy only discards one Magikarp
5) Volkner's Philosophy will be likely to net you 1-3 cards at the very beginning and will become useless in almost any other situation where as Felecity's Drawing would ALWAYS get you four cards except when you decide to keep a few extras of a card like Broken Time-Space in your hand.

I think Gyarados has huge potential in the next format, but it needs to wait until the new set HS:Triumphant comes out. You can use Junk Arm to discard Magikarps easily and reuse trainers like Luxury Ball. And with Rescue Energy you can get Gyarados out of the discard without even using a trainer which helps against trainer lock.

Rescue Energy and Junk arm will be cool, but Gyarados needs draw, for all the reasons Lunar Wing said. There's hope, but don't be expecting it to win any big tourneys any time soon.

Junk Arms into Luxury/Communication to drop an Uxie is always good. :)

But yeah, Fels is always a key card of the deck which hurt them. Ah well, hope for Junk Arm's arrival to make a revival.

Regice still has to discard the two cards even if power spray'ed.
Gyarados won't have the large hands like it did last format.
It's still playable but won't be as dominant for 2010-2011 season.

PhadedPhione said:
Regice still has to discard the two cards even if power spray'ed.
Gyarados won't have the large hands like it did last format.
It's still playable but won't be as dominant for 2010-2011 season.

What? If Regice is Power Sprayed, you don't do anything with the Power. No discard, no switch.

dmaster out.

Gyarados does have huge potential, yes, but it does still have weaknesses. Now Sableye Start and Volkner's to replace Felicity's is good, and Regice is still around to discard 2 basics. mr. Mime MT was also rotated making it easier for gyarados to play w/o any energies. Luxray GL LV. X for free prize cards make a pretty decent deck.

It does have weaknesses though. Vileplume just laughs at Gyarados, when you kill a gyarados, and you can't Pokemon rescue any magikarps back into your hand. Vileplume also shuts off SSU, Pokémon Communication, and Junk Arm when it is released. Gyarados also looses to Luxray GL LV. X in general, as it totally plays around gyarados and gets free prizes. LuxChomp especially laughs at gyarados. You'll have to tech carefully to beat these things, but it IS very possible to be a good deck, and win tournies with it.

I am using Gyarados still right now. It is really good. Vilplume cana say hello to the deck, but the deck can work around it. You need to just play smart, and only put one or two Magikarps in the discard pile. Then when one Gyarados dies it is putting Magikarps in the discard pile.Since you can't use Pokemon Rescue agianst Vilplume. That is why I built Gyarados the loss of Mr. Mime made it really good. The deck does not need more draw, because late game I usally have a lot of cards, and a chunk of them which I don't want to use a that moment, or cards that won't help anymore. The combo of Regice Volkner's is pretty good though.

I used to play G-dos last year and I played it with Dialga G lvx and Floatzel GL lvx to counter Mr.Mime and Spiritomb.
I think Regice is really not the best card to use to discard because of its high retrest cost and its lame attack, I'd rather use Banette PT, Dusknoir SF (+ the lvx) or Seaking LA and have other attackers than G-dos even if it might make me have G-dos later in the game.
You all talk about Junk Arm in HS:Triumphant, but it isn't the only good card comming out that is good for G-dos, there is also Mew Prime: discard 4 karps and send one G-dos in the lost zone, then attack at 120 every turn for 0 and really easy to get Mew back after a KO.

Dialga really isn't a half bad tech honestly. It can shut off Vileplume (which apparantly causes problems lol) and it doesn't need Luxray anymore to get around anything. Volkner's is a really bad substitute unfortunately, but when Triumphant comes out, it gets a massive slew of cards to work with and can jump right back into Tier 1 where it belongs.

dmaster out.

Triumphant can save Gyarados, maybe not but i will hope it does.
Draw power will be hard too bad :( Maybe a mini sp engine can help.
Also i most of the time dicarded carps with regice, Also Lost zone HURTS Gyarados hard.

As it has been said before, Gyarados is not as dominant as it was before. In fact as of right now I wouldn't play the deck, nor would I expect to see it played competitively. Volkner's just doesn't have the same use as Felicity's did, and I find that Gyarados just does not have the bench space to be playing down 2+ Uxie. So right now the deck should be dead, but once Triumphant is in the format, the deck's use will have to be reevaluated.

Well now we have monk's training that can discard the magikarps. I know i't not so safe but it might work.

Yeah, but Monk's isn't even out yet. Nethier is Junk Arm, For right now I though we are talking about. Right now I still think it id really good.

Yeah, Gyarados can really use some Computer Search back in the cycle. That card would be good even now.
Anyway, I don't see it going anywhere far out of the binder, where it belongs...for now.

Back