• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gyarados AT (AOR)

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
Gyarados AOR 21/98 has an attack whose damage increases with each damage counter on a benched Magikarp.
The primary focus of the deck is to first get Team Magma's Secret Base, which deals 2 damage counters to each basic pokemon played from either player's hand, into play, then bench every Magikarp to boost the damage output of Gyarados' attack Full Retaliation to 210.

4 Magikarp
3 Gyarados AT
3 Un own AOR 30/98
2 Remoraid BKT 32/162
2 Octillery BKT 33/162
1 Shaymin EX RSK 77/108

3 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Misty's Determination
1 Archie's Ace in the Hole

4 Dive Ball
4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
2 Super Rod
2 Buddy Buddy Rescue

4 Trainer's Mail
3 VS Seeker
1 Town Map

3 Team Magma's Secret Base

2 Bursting Balloon
2 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Float Stone

2 Rainbow Energy
4 Double Colourless Energy

As a note, Magikarp is in both Ancient Origins and Generations with the hilariously ineffective Epic Splash attack, Evolutions has another version with some synergy, with the Flail attack, which might in some strange situation make a tiny difference to the outcome of a game.

The rationale for some card choices are obvious, but a few choices I struggled with were;

3 Magma Base.
Since the effect happens on my turn, it is only needed on a few big turns, right before a flurry of poke ball usage, a 4th copy might be clutch in some cases but I found I could reliably draw it when I really had to. To that purpose, 2 Misty's, 4 Trainer's Mail and Town Map.

3 Un own.
I considered Talon flame but don't run any basic energy. Also, setup has to be complete on turn 1, basically so that there are more Karl's benched than the opponent can KO in one turn, it provides some draw and can take the active spot to offer an alternative to starting Magikarp. That g8ves you the opportunity to search Secret Base on turn 1 before benching your Karp.

1 Shaymin.
Key inclusion for starts where you haven't managed to bench a Remoraid. The 4 Ultra ball that allow you to search shaymin on turn 1 also work well with Octillery once it is in play. It can be used mid to late game to dig for Secret Base, that extra karp or a double colourless.

2 Fighting Fury Belt-2 Rainbow Energy.
Getting more damage output from each Karp is a great way to hit numbers with Full Retaliation, since Gyarados has the theta double trait, even if you have to evolve a belted karp, you may still attach a useful tool to it, since the now useless belt will still be attached (likely).

2 Super Rod-2 Buddy Buddy Rescue.
Retrieving the karts either with super rod and the ridiculous poke ball engine or buddy buddy rescue let's you immediately recover from knocked out pokemon. I had 2 splash energy at one point, which was excellent for recovering both Gyarados and Magikarp and essentially ensuring that your damage output would remain the same after Gyarados was knocked out, but I found I rarely had the luxury of attaching it when a DCE was needed or the reward of higher damage from rainbow energy was not more enticing .

Archie's has been excellent. With octillery to manipulate your hand size and easy ways to discard Gyarados (dive ball, then ultra ball), it's excellent to be able to have 4 Karps benched and a Gyarados active.

This deck is slowly becoming more consistent.
Please any advice?

Some gross oversights that I have now noticed, no Lysandre. Definitely need to find a spot for that.

Thought about Mr. Mime, but baby Hoops and Bee drill are the only credible threats for bench or spread damage that I can think of and Bee drill needs to have all 4 in play to knock Gyarados, whereas Gyarados only needs 2 Karl's and Base to KO beedrill . starting Mr. Mime stinks.

Last edited:
Feels like you have a little too much going on here. Gyarados deck need to be really streamlined, all about just getting your stadium and your magikarp into play. Considering the source of your damage is the injured Magikarp on your deck you really need to have mr. mime. Hoopa is common enough and if you run into one you'll be hard countered. Fighting Fury Belt is 100% useless as it only works on basic pokemon. I assume you're being a little cute and using it to supply a few more damage counters to your Magikarp, but in the end I think you're really just hurting yourself. This is the decklist I'm currently going with.

Pokémon - 9

4 Magikarp AOR
3 Gyarados AOR
1 Shaymin-EX ROS
1 Mr. Mime BKT

Trainer Cards - 47

Supporter

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Pokémon Fan Club
1 Lysandre
1 Pokémon Ranger
1 Hex Maniac
1 Skyla
1 Giovanni's Scheme
1 Teammates

Item
4 Buddy-Buddy Rescue
4 Trainers' Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Dive Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Super Rod
2 Special Charge
2 Acro Bike
1 Town Map
1 Escape Rope

Tool / Stadium

4 Team Magma's Secret Base
2 Float Stone
2 Bursting Balloon

Energy - 4

4 Double Colorless Energy

Buddy buddy rescue is really important and should be a 4 count. Ultra Ball however is really only going to be used for retrieving Shaymin EX from the deck and occasionally Mr. Mime. Special Charge is really important because the only energy you're going to have to work with is DCE. If you can find room you could even add in a third and be OK I think. Bursting Balloon is a personal preference as it makes my opponent think twice about knocking out my lead Magikarp if I'm having a slow start. I haven't yet had much occasion to use Hew Maniac, but Pokemon ranger has been incredible important for dealing with Glaceon EX techs. Giovanni's does the same thing as I assumed you were trying to accomplish with the Fighting Fury Belt and Rainbow Energy, but at a much lower cost to your consistency, and it doubles as draw support in a pinch. Archie could work in here if you saw fit to remove either Teammates or Hex Maniac, but honestly I just think it's not worth it.

Feels like you have a little too much going on here. Gyarados deck need to be really streamlined, all about just getting your stadium and your magikarp into play. Considering the source of your damage is the injured Magikarp on your deck you really need to have mr. mime. Hoopa is common enough and if you run into one you'll be hard countered. Fighting Fury Belt is 100% useless as it only works on basic pokemon. I assume you're being a little cute and using it to supply a few more damage counters to your Magikarp, but in the end I think you're really just hurting yourself. This is the decklist I'm currently going with.

Pokémon - 9

4 Magikarp AOR
3 Gyarados AOR
1 Shaymin-EX ROS
1 Mr. Mime BKT

Trainer Cards - 47

Supporter

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Pokémon Fan Club
1 Lysandre
1 Pokémon Ranger
1 Hex Maniac
1 Skyla
1 Giovanni's Scheme
1 Teammates

Item
4 Buddy-Buddy Rescue
4 Trainers' Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Dive Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Super Rod
2 Special Charge
2 Acro Bike
1 Town Map
1 Escape Rope

Tool / Stadium

4 Team Magma's Secret Base
2 Float Stone
2 Bursting Balloon

Energy - 4

4 Double Colorless Energy

Buddy buddy rescue is really important and should be a 4 count. Ultra Ball however is really only going to be used for retrieving Shaymin EX from the deck and occasionally Mr. Mime. Special Charge is really important because the only energy you're going to have to work with is DCE. If you can find room you could even add in a third and be OK I think. Bursting Balloon is a personal preference as it makes my opponent think twice about knocking out my lead Magikarp if I'm having a slow start. I haven't yet had much occasion to use Hew Maniac, but Pokemon ranger has been incredible important for dealing with Glaceon EX techs. Giovanni's does the same thing as I assumed you were trying to accomplish with the Fighting Fury Belt and Rainbow Energy, but at a much lower cost to your consistency, and it doubles as draw support in a pinch. Archie could work in here if you saw fit to remove either Teammates or Hex Maniac, but honestly I just think it's not worth it.

I would have to agree with you on the streamlining thing. I also agree about Hex Maniac not being as useful as it used to be. A lot of competitive decks run a line of garb, so Hex Maniac can go an entire game without needing to be used. That being said, I really like your list. I'm personally thinking about running this deck myself. 210 is such a nice number in the current meta and it's really hard to keep up with the prize trade when your opponent has a 1 prize attacker every turn that can OHKO most mega evolutions.

I will definitely try it with special charge and no octillery, I might opt for unown over acro bike, starting magikarp can be bad? but then again 4 buddy buddy is pretty sweet, hopefully they don't rescue rattata and discard your bursting balloon.
I love being able to Ace in the Hole Gyarados. probably good practice for a future with 250 hp GX pokemon.
I can't see having only 6 balls, but Buddy buddy is almost better.
Thanks for the direction.
I actually found most losses with the deck I posted were from deck out rather than anything else. . .

I will definitely try it with special charge and no octillery, I might opt for unown over acro bike, starting magikarp can be bad? but then again 4 buddy buddy is pretty sweet, hopefully they don't rescue rattata and discard your bursting balloon.
I love being able to Ace in the Hole Gyarados. probably good practice for a future with 250 hp GX pokemon.
I can't see having only 6 balls, but Buddy buddy is almost better.
Thanks for the direction.
I actually found most losses with the deck I posted were from deck out rather than anything else. . .

Starting with Magikarp is not really an issue, and Acro Bike is way more useful to thin out your deck. Unkown is really only useful when you want to bloat your discard pile like in expanded format Vespiquen decks. Between 4 Dive and 2 Ultra you've almost always got everything you need on the deck from that alone. Anything that goes to the discard is fished back with Buddy Buddy and by the time you use Super Rod the deck is general thin enough that one good draw will get you what you need. Also Teammates works really well for this deck because you don't mind trading a Gyarados once in awhile and Teammates can easily get you whatever you need to set up another attacker, as stringing attackers is really important while keeping your bench full of 10 HP Magikarp.

As for the deck out it's probably because of the double Octillery. This deck really doesn't need a ton of draw support. One solid Set Up from Shaymin EX is often enough to get the ball rolling and put the momentum in your court.

I would have to agree with you on the streamlining thing. I also agree about Hex Maniac not being as useful as it used to be. A lot of competitive decks run a line of garb, so Hex Maniac can go an entire game without needing to be used. That being said, I really like your list. I'm personally thinking about running this deck myself. 210 is such a nice number in the current meta and it's really hard to keep up with the prize trade when your opponent has a 1 prize attacker every turn that can OHKO most mega evolutions.

Yep it's a really powerful deck with really only a few bad matchups. It's doesn't like Scizor decks a whole lot that's for sure, so if you can tech a fire attacker in there that runs on DCE that's a fair option too. Otherwise It terrorizes Rayquaza, Volcanion, Mewtwo, and Yveltal, especially variants that run Garbotoxin lines since this deck doesn't really rely on Shaymin's Set Up or other abilities as much as some of the other major players in the format.

i have a really streamlined version which has won me 2 tournaments so far. kinda plays like night march. you set up mostly on turn 2, and then you keep smashing. i am looking forward to sun and moon. then the giovannis wil be replaced with
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#59 Professor Kukui – Trainer
Supporter

Draw 2 cards. During this turn, your Pokemon’s attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the town map will be replaced with 1 of these. possibly even 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#72 Rotom Pokedex – Trainer
Item

Count your remaining Prize cards, then shuffle them into your deck. Draw the same amount of cards and place them face-down as your new Prize cards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the list is here:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Meowstic-EX GEN 37
* 4 Magikarp AOR 19
* 3 Gyarados AOR 21

##Trainer Cards - 46

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
* 4 Buddy-Buddy Rescue BKT 135
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 2 Acro Bike PRC 122
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 2 Teammates PRC 141
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 104
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 3 Dive Ball PRC 125

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Scott symonds from UK placed 23rd in London with this his gyarados deck.
so it seems like a strong deck

It is lots of fun and hits big numbers quickly.
Got a few wins with it recently, lost to that lousy chaos wheel attack too much though.

This is a list that I have personally been running at League and have had some minor success with. Only problems are dead draws, and not being able to get out a TMSB first turn. I currently have been experimenting with -1 Team Magma's Secret base and +1 Meowstic EX. Why the Meowstic EX you ask? Well its ability can help out in sticky situations in case you need to hit a magic number. For those who are unfamiliar with the card, its ability allows you to move 1 damage counter (Emphasis on damage COUNTER) from one of your Pokemon to one of your opponents Pokemon as long as it is in the active. The list I show will have neither just so you can experiment also and see what works better:)
1090243.jpg

Anyway, onto the list.

POKEMON: 10
4-4 Gyarados (I opt for the 4-4 because I found that 4-3 was kinda risky and often resulted in too many Gyarados in the discard too early.)
1-1 Octillary (Yes, I use Sushi Master. It allows for continuous draw support that can spoon feed your hand a bunch of needed cards over the course of the game.)
1 Shaymin EX (This is a competitive deck list, so you know you saw it coming. It can easily be replaced, but I prefer it over Unown for those slow starts.)

SUPPORTERS: 9
3 Prof. Sycamore (Basic draw engine that runs very nicely with a first turn N.)
2 N (Or as he's known at my League, Natural Harmonia Gropius. Sorry. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/N )
2 Teammates (Great for when someone Lysandres one of your poor, helpless, and unsuspecting Magikarps and sends him to a watery grave... R.I.P Magikarp)
1 Hex Maniac (I'm looking at you Greninja!)
1 Lysandre (I'm looking at you Shaymin!)

ITEMS: 31
4 Dive Ball (Very self-explanatory. If not, you have bigger problems then building this deck.)
4 Puzzle of Time (A card that took some testing before I jumped on board with it. Great for grabbing things back from the dead, and setting up future combos.)
4 VS Seeker (Undeniably, a pivotal card in any deck. Top decking one of these bad boys can change the entire board state.)
3 Trainers Mail (Much like VS Seeker, this card can change a lot in a single turn. Personally, one of my favorite cards out of the XY era besides Imakuni?)
3 Ultra Ball (A great card to draw into first turn and combos nicely with VS Seeker.)
3 Acro Bike (Acro Bike is a great card that allows some quick deck progression. I recommend learning what you can afford to discard, and what you can't.)
3 Bursting Balloon (Do you really need to stay alive for one more turn? Welp, just attach double Bursting Balloon to your Gyarados and you might just.)
2 Buddy-Buddy Rescue (Not a 4 of. Sorry, but you need this later down the road not first turn.)
1 Super Rod/Brocks Grit (This is mainly why BBR is not a 4 of. Brocks Grit covers a lot of options, and Super Rod is very versatile.)
1 Escape Rope (A nice gettaway option. Can't find a Float Stone? Oops, spoilers *shuts diary*
1 Float Stone (As stated before, spoilers. Time is a little weird for me. I'm rubbish at weddings, especially my own. To be serious, this is for Sushi Master:p)
1 Town Map (If any of those precious magic fish are prized, you can drop this down and instantly seek them out!)
1 Special Charge (This deck runs off of DCE and thanks to this card you can afford to discard 1 or 2.)

STADIUMS: 3
3 Team Magma's Secret Base (Once again, VERY self-explanatory. I only include 3 because of Meowstic EX.)

ENERGY: 4
4 Double Colorless Energy (I don't include Basic Energy because this deck relies on speed and you can't afford to be attaching one per turn.)

Well, I hope this made some sense. As stated before, this is my own personal list that has been inspired by other lists. Please don't accuse me of plagiarism because of similarities to other deck lists. I hope this proves helpful or maybe even successful for a few people:D

Back