• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Guzzlord/Electrode-GX/Hippopotas (BKT-CST)

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
"Hello everyone - this is Timmony, and welcome back to another edition of Bad Deck Monday!"

Pokemon - 16

4 Guzzlord
1 Guzzlord-GX
2 Mew-FCO
2 Voltorb-CST
2 Electrode-GX
1 Hippopotas
1 Tapu Lele-UPR
1 Oranguru-SUM
2 Tapu Lele-GX

Trainers - 30

4 Professor Sycamore
1 Cynthia
2 N
3 Guzma
1 Pal Pad
4 Ultra Ball
2 Nest Ball
3 Beast Ring
2 Professor's Letter
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Super Rod
4 Choice Band
2 Float Stone

Energy - 14

10 Darkness Energy
4 Unit Energy FYD

The basic strategy is to blow up Electrode-GX to accelerate Energy onto multiple Guzzlord/Mew, while simultaneously allowing you to play Beast Ring to flood your board. Depending on the MU/general pace of the game, you can ideally close your games with either Guzzlord-GX or Hippopotas (or Mew, copying either of those). The Tapu Lele-UPR is there to provide an OHKO option on Rayquaza-GX with Psywave, since this kind of strategy might struggle with super-aggressive strategies, and I was already playing the appropriate Unit Energy.

I'm wondering if a more streamlined version with Order Pad/Random Receiver might be better for thinning out the deck within a couple turns, but this is what I'm going with for now. Don't get me wrong - this deck is an absolutely terrible idea, but if it sets up, it could actually be a lot of fun.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

I love the beast ring idea, but are you looking to use both electrodes or just outting in two for conisistency?

Also, have you looked at sightseer? Then you dont have to discard your whole hand like sycamore does.

I think Max Elixir should be played, almost all your cards are basic.

Maybe -1 Guzzlord
-1 Ultra Ball

+2 Max Elixir

Its great for accelerating big attackers like Guzzlord

I love the beast ring idea, but are you looking to use both electrodes or just outting in two for conisistency?

Also, have you looked at sightseer? Then you dont have to discard your whole hand like sycamore does.

Maybe -1 Guzzlord
-1 Ultra Ball

+2 Max Elixir

The 2-2 Electrode line is mainly for consistency, but you always have the option to use a second one, especially since you may end up pitching a lot of Energy into the discard pile with Lord's Valley. Considering how many free prizes it gives your opponent, I imagine you shouldn't use the second Electrode unless it guarantees game for you.

I would absolutely love to use Sightseer if I could, but as mentioned in the title, this is BREAKthrough - Celestial Storm, and Sightseer unfortunately isn't legal for that format.

Elixir is certainly good, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with only two of them - the list as it stands feels pretty tight, between being consistent enough to get multiple big attackers set up and having enough insurance in the case that too many key resources get discarded. Like I said, there might be a way of building this deck that's extremely streamlined (high counts of Order Pad/Random Receiver/Max Elixir/Beast Ring) that I might consider in the future.

Thanks for your input!

I've also been thinking about potential partners for Electrode, but have come around to utilizing fighting while strong energy is still within rotation. Are you utilizing Guzzlord for its discard effect, because I've been thinking about playing Acrobike instead with my build?

Maybe -1 Guzzlord
-1 Ultra Ball

+2 Max Elixir

Well it's not easy to get 5 dark energy in the discard pile really quickly, and with Ultra ball you can get Pokémon up and energies into the discard pile with just one card.

It seems pretty risky though, considering electrode's a GX and all, so if you end up using both electrodes, that's 2/3 of your opponent's prizes.

Back