Help Guzma Rulings

SeventhPrize

Pokemon Player
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a Pokemon Professor's ruling on Guzma.

If I have an Active Fairy-type Pokemon and I have a Benched Ribombee (Lost Thunder) and a Benched non-Fairy-type Pokemon what happens if my opponent plays a Guzma and chooses my Benched non-Fairy-Pokemon to be my new Active Pokemon? Does the Mysterious Buzz ability prevent the Guzma's gust effect?

For example, suppose I have an Active Gardevoir-GX, a Benched Ribombee, and a Benched Tapu Lele-GX. My opponent plays a Guzma and chooses to switch my Gardevoir-GX with my Tapu Lele-GX. Will Mysterious Buzz prevent that effect?

My initial thoughts are that, yes, the Mysterious Buzz ability prevents Guzma's gust effect because my Active fairy-type is affected by Guzma. However, I am wondering if there are any special grammatical footnotes that would circumvent this because "Active Pokemon" is the object, not the subject, or Guzma's effect text.

I have not posted on the Pokebeach forums in a number of years. During this lapse, I may have forgotten the proper conventions and practices expected of forum posts and replies, such as when to include spoilers/references and where to post certain topics. If I have misformatted or misplaced this post, please call me out and tell me what I should have done instead (I seem to remember an "Ask a Professor" forum that I am now unable to locate).

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not a professor, but I don't need to be one to correctly answer this.

Guzma targets the Bench Pokémon to come into the Active slot, so the effect is on the Bench Pokémon not the Active. The Active Pokémon has to switch as a result of the Benched Pokémon coming up, so the Active Pokémon was never actually targeted. So therefore Ribombee's ability cannot prevent Gardevoir from having to return to the Bench as a result of dragging up the Tapu Lele.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
So, I agree with Chimecho3000, but wanted to try and find some specific rulings.

Pokegym answered an identical question last year in this Ask the Rules Team question involving Pyroar.

[url=http://pokegym.net/community/index.php?threads/pyroar-forbidden-light-19-and-guzma-burningshadow-problem-in-ptcgo.190389/]PokeGym[/url] said:
It goes totally by the target named by the card.
Guzma has the player select one of their Opponent's Benched Pokémon.
So, if the benched Pokémon is this Pyroar, they the switch will fail.

However, if Pyroar is active and a different Pokémon is chosen on the bench to bring up to active, then it will work.

So, similarly, Rhibombee would protect Fairy-type benched Pokémon from being the target of Guzma, but wouldn't protect Fairy-type Active Pokémon.