Discussion Gumshoos-GX

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
I figured I would start a discussion here since no one has talked about it yet. Granted, with SnM not out quite yet, I'm sure people will be discussing various cards later, but... it's on my mind now.

For those who need to know what the card does:

Gumshoos-GX – Colorless – HP210
Stage 1 – Evolves from Yungoose

Ability: Inspect
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may have your opponent reveal his or her hand.

[C][C][C] Flying Headbutt: 100 damage.

[C] Gum Chance GX: 10+ damage. This attack does 50 more damage for each Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2​

So, the first thing I'd like to discuss is how effective you guys think this card is going to be coming in to the next expansion. Its GX attack seems really good to me considering I expect M Mewtwo Y to be a factor (Lunala seems extremely good in that deck), allowing it to OHKO any set up M Mewtwo Y fairly easily. The other thing, and what prompted me to even remotely discuss this card, that stood out to me is the fact that its ability allows you to look at your opponent's hand every turn (so long as it's alive). Effects like this have always been extremely crucial to TCGs as a whole since information can make a world of difference and because of that, I feel like this could easily be a tech in most decks. Perhaps I'm over-evaluating such effects, but I feel as if being able to scout your opponent's potential moves in a game like PTCG is massive for strategy.

Finally, I feel that 100 damage for 3 Energy, especially Colorless Energy, is actually pretty solid as a whole. It's nothing amazing, but still, I think it's pretty good.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Asmer

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Not been into competitive for a while, but the ability seems good with a 1-1 or 2-2 just for that function of knowing what you opponent can do. Seems very good for shutting your opponent down and in a pinch the GX move seems handy.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I think this card is very splashable in the future. The only problem I see it that garbodor will remain very popular until tool removal comes back into the standard format or it's usefulness declines.

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
I think this card is very splashable in the future. The only problem I see it that garbodor will remain very popular until tool removal comes back into the standard format or it's usefulness declines.

Yeah, I could see Garbodor being a bit of an issue. Luckily, not everything runs it right now, so at least we don't have to deal with it all the time. Still, in regards to M Mewtwo Y specifically, I did forget that they ran Garbo (for some reason), so that should be interesting to test against with this card.

Thinking on it as well, I wonder how good this would be against things that need set up, like Greninja BREAK etc. Being able to hit a disruptive N would be really good against certain decks, non?

-Asmer