Discussion Growlithe Shenanigans

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
120x169x017.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Anwu_MXXe_.jpg

Growlithe
– Fire – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[C] Kick and Run: 10 damage. Switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

[R][C] Flare: 20 damage.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Okay... This is a stupid funny rogue deck idea: Growlithe's first attack is much like that of Donphan of old, where you attack and switch to a disruptive wall (Like Wobbuffet) or a prize denier (Robo Substitute - I wish that was still around :/).

At first, 10 damage isn't much - but with Volcanion-EX and Fighting Fury Belt, it can become even stronger! Even more, its potential Evolution, Arcanine, can take all the energy from your bench to deal the finishing damage:

Arcanine – Fire – HP130
Stage 1 – Evolves from Growlithe

Ability: Burning Road
Once during your turn (before your attack), when this Pokemon becomes your Active Pokemon from the Bench, you may move as many [R] Energy as you like from your Pokemon to this Pokemon.

[R][R][R][C] Scorching Breath: 150 damage. Arcanine can’t attack during your next turn.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Now, would this be good enough to replace normal Volcanion builds? Probably not, but depending on the right cards coming out in future sets, this tactic could be worth scouting out later.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It sounds like a crazy, interesting idea! I think that even with Volcanion-EX and Fighting Fury Belt, the damage output will be a little too low, though. Dolphan could generally 2-hit KO EXs (and potentially even 1-hit KO), however Growlithe can really only 4-hit KO EXs, meaning you probably won't be able to be ahead in the prize trade. Nevertheless, there is things like Celebi AT that Donphan did not have, that could be really disruptive.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The problem with using Growlithe over baby Volcanion is that Volcanion attaches the Energy you used to pay Steam Up's cost. Without using Power Heater, you have no way of reliably getting four Energy on the field consistently.

You don't even have to use Growlithe's attack; Steam up + Steam Up + Power Heater + Scorching Breath does 230 damage, which is enough to OHKO everything. The problem is keeping Mewtwo from running you over. If you have to sacrifice a Volcanion just to KO a Mewtwo next turn, you're still giving up two Prizes to their two Prizes, and they are still more consistent than you are.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I had a similar silly idea. It involved Ponyta GEN, Volcanion EX, and Trick Coin

The problem with using Growlithe over baby Volcanion is that Volcanion attaches the Energy you used to pay Steam Up's cost. Without using Power Heater, you have no way of reliably getting four Energy on the field consistently.

You don't even have to use Growlithe's attack; Steam up + Steam Up + Power Heater + Scorching Breath does 230 damage, which is enough to OHKO everything. The problem is keeping Mewtwo from running you over. If you have to sacrifice a Volcanion just to KO a Mewtwo next turn, you're still giving up two Prizes to their two Prizes, and they are still more consistent than you are.
Pretty sure Steam Up only works on basics.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
Really cool idea! i do see a couple of issues.

You're opponent can use Lysandre to get rid of Growlithe, and you will need to run a ton of energy retrieving cards just to be able to use Steam Up consistently (unless you're going to run baby Volcanion)

vegemite

Weird Decks Only
So glad to see people giving fun build ideas a shot rather than the "this entire set is awful" response. Keep working on it! I bet you'll find something great!

gracebond

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, it does; that's why the chain requires Power Heater before you use Scorching Breath, as I said.

So what you mean is that you're setting up 2HKOs then?

Turn 1: Power Heater+2x Steam Up 20+30+30=80
Turn 2: Scorching Breath 150

80=150=230

You said this was enough to OHKO anything, barring Primals and Wailord, which I believe led to the confusion from @DatSonicAce. Since it seemed implied you were taking the KO in one turn, rather than two.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Yeah, sorry, it was a poor word choice on my part.

MegaCentral

Aspiring Trainer
Rough Seas, Wailord with a float stone and kick and run. Energy recycler to recycle energy from steam up?

Numelz Numelz

Ariadoney Clear Nail Polish
Until Garbodor. But seriously, nice neat list.

Maybe add in a ponyta from flashfire or generations, or even that torchic AT.