• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gourpuff (Gourgeist / Slurpuff)

daviduk2000

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so this is my nationals UK and I'm looking for advice and suggestions. I've already tested it a lot and it's pretty consistant and regularily pulls off 200+ damage.

Sorry I've left out set numbers will sort that when I get to my laptop. I'll also post scans of the main cards As it's difficult to do from phone. Will also check over for grammar and spelling errors.

Pokemon: 20
  • 4 Pumpkaboo 2/PF 2/PF
  • 3 Gourgeist PF
  • 1 Deoxys ROS-33
  • 2-2 Lopunny FF
  • 1-1 Trevenant XY
  • 3-3 Slurpuff PF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 28
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump Card
  • 3 Tierno
  • 1 Caitlin
  • 1 Evosoda
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Roller Skates
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Silver Bangle
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 1 Wally
  • 2 Dimension Valley
Energy: 12
  • 4 Grass Energy
  • 4 Psychic Energy
  • 2 mystery
  • 2 DCE
Strategy:

Start off with deoxys hopefully but it's not necesary for quick draw power. The idea is to get a large hand and then Attack for massive damage with gourgeist PF PCC-for 10 x the cards in your hand.

Every card has its place

Lopunny
has the ability to return itself and all cards attached to it to your hand, power him up with tools and energy when you don't need them somewhere else. This is a great counter for N as I can then immediately return them to hand increasing hand size by 2-5 cards especially effective to equip them with tools one withs muscle band one with silver bangle then they are always accessible and I can pick on the fly which one to use on my gourgeist. Another great thing about his ability is Inbetween after a knock out i send him out. Use his ability as a sort of "free retreat" but it doesn't use up a retreat for the turn.

Slurpuff
Quite simply the draw power, except now only does his power let me get 1-2 cards it so increases gourgeists damage by 10-20. Float stone makes him incredibly usefull. Along with escape rope I can manage 2-3 active slurpuff a to tasting for up to 6 cards a turn.

Deoxys
Turn one draw power for a single colourless or free with dimension valley. And 1 colourless for 30-90 damage, free retreat with mystery energy. Paired with slurpuff for great draw power, give him a silver bangle and he can easily OHKO mew EX. Originally I ran kangaskhan EX for triple draw however it was an EX with high retreat IV settled with deoxys what do you think is better?

Trevenant
A recent addition as a great counter to night match, rayquaza. And basically a stall for all decks givingme extra time to build large hand. Which is not really hard anyway. With wally this can now be turn one even if I go first which can be devastating. His Attack for 2 energy cards (1 psychic 1 DCE or 2 energy and dimension valley is ot bad. 60 to the active (OHKO mew EX) and 20 to 2 bench.
This is great but the only thing in my deck which I question. There will be a lot of Rayquaza and night March at nations though.

Gourgeist
The heart and soul of the deck. 200hp with a grass energy psychic type do hits ALOT of common threats for weakness yet isnt psychic weak itself. 10 damage times card in hand for 2-3 energy with all the support it really is not hard.
I run both pumpkaboo as the XY one can confuse for i Psychic. Which is always Handy. But opening with a night March pumpkaboo really throws off my opponent making them suspect a night March deck.

tHis deck requires a lot of thinkfing to play but is incredibly fast and very hard hitting the triAiner supporter line may not look the best but trust me it works. You may looks at that tierno and think WTF but that's 20 more damage for me, almost every trainer is there to increase hand size. I can get through my deck pretty rapidly, Caitlin another wtf supporter is fantastic for this deck. When I have 20 cards on hand I can cycle through he rest of my deck almost to draw that dimensional valley I desperately need or any other cards not currently in hand.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions what to expect at Nats what to counter what to leave out. I understand full well not to expect a win against every deck. Yvetal is my toughest match up but I have beat it. Night March is great because I only ever need to do 60 damage Max to kill anything so I can play cards from my hand without much fear of going under that crucial OHKO number.
My biggest fear is garbodor. I wanted to tech in startling megaphone but it's often paired with Seismitoad anyway so ive pretty much just accepted that Its an almost auto loss.

Things I've considered
Exeggcute. They seem great in concept but lopunny is just better as it can be loaded up with extra cards.
Kangaskhan ex. Triple draw for 1 energy, but big retreat and it's an EX
Swellow ROS - DCE for 20 not much but I can very easily choose how much damage to do with gourgeist leaving an enemy with 10 HP is easy. But I figure why not just get 1 Prize/KO every turn instead of 2 every second turn.

I used to play this deck with Shiftry FLF, has really good draw power plus can do a lot of damage. Also uses grass energy so nice to pair with Gourgeist. It's a pity he's a stage 2 but now with Skyfield he can hit really hard.

The Deoxys is surely better than Kangaskhan EX, because you'll need time for setup/big hand and can't lose too much prizes before fighting back.

I never actually considered shifted but don't think it would be too great yeah theoretically it is. But I'd need to dedicate at least a 2-1-2 line for it aswell and at least a rare candy. The grass synergy is good but I'd need nore grass energy. And then the trade off is discard an energy to draw 3 so a net gain of 2 of i had a grass energy. So slurpuff a are better.
However I do love shif try and was gonna make a shifty florges skyfield deck. But I'm leaving that for now.

Back