Gorillaz- The Fall

SinnohTrainer17

ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
Yesterday, the UK band known as "Gorillaz" released their newest and possibly most unique album yesterday, Christmas day, at midnight. It was recorded during the months of October and November (during the American leg of The Escape to Plastic Beach tour) on an iPad. When the Phoner to Arizona music video was released, I was a bit unimpressed and feared that the new album would be far below my expectations. However, The Fall was released, and I was happy to learn that 'Phoner' was but an intro to the exciting album. What do you guys think? Feel free to also discuss the past and future work of Gorillaz.

Wow a new Gorillaz album, sounds like a great intro, can't wait to hear the other songs, I will be looking for them.

Here's Amarillo, and this Youtube channel also has the other songs of The Fall. It is my personal belief that this album centers around 2-D, and his vulnerability to Murdoc and his harsh ways. Take "Revolving Doors", for instance (the second track on the album). A theory that I found roaming around on a Gorillaz forum suggests that 2-D is becoming more and more vulnerable to Murdoc, as his drunkenness ends with a bad effect on 2-D's part. It seems that the door continually hits him on the way out, like a revolving door. Very, very creepy and interesting, imo.

I'm just a little upset that Damon Albarn ditched the whole Plastic Beach story (seemingly), with the Rhinestone Eyes music video canceled and the storyboard posted on Gorillaz's official Youtube channel. Noodle's story really needs to be finished, and the whole battle between her and Cyborg Noodle needs to take place. I'm tired of Russel's and Noodle's absence in the music videos. It's time to move on.

Wow... I'm severely disappointed. I listened to as much of the Album as I could, which was about a minute of each song, all they did was make glitchy over used electronic sounds over and over again. It sounds like low quality rave music, I'm sorry, but that is my opinion. Hopefully I'll like it in time, but right now I don't. Sorry if you see differently.

Yeah, the album definitely had to grow on me as well, I didn't like it too much upon first listen. However, songs like Armarillo, Revolving Doors, and a few others are pretty fantastic, imo. I like how the album has a very creepy and peculiar vibe to it overall. The runtime isn't too bad- I'm not sure where you got one minute from- most songs are at least two minutes long with the exception of "Seattle Yodeal"- a quirky, ominous ending to the album clocking in at :39. Many hate the song but I, for one, enjoy it due to its odd and creepy feel.

I was really disappointed with Plastic Beach, should I really get my hopes up and expect better from this?

I wouldn't get your hopes up, but I'd definitely give the album a chance to grow on you. It's actually not that bad. You have to give The Fall a few listens. I hated it upon first listen, and now I am learning to love it for what it is. The songs are based upon the bands experiences while touring in America (mostly the west, so western/southwestern influence is evident in certain songs). Also, Plastic Beach was good in the sense that it was a more experimental album- a colaborative work.

I am unsure what to think of this album. Old Gorillaz is really hard to beat though I was impressed and generally liked "Plastic Beach". I really like "Revolving Doors" though.

This will take several listenings through for me to make a final decision.

I think what I enjoy most about the album is how it plays with sounds similar to both the new and old material.

Also, Revolving Doors still sends shivers down my spine. It's such a disturbing and peculiar song. On the other hand, it's very mellow at times. It's definitely 2-D's song.

It's not too bad. Nothing mind-blowing, but still pretty impressive considering how it was made.

Still think I prefer Demon Days and Plastic Beach at this point, though.

Back