Good Counters to Top Stuff?

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I was just wondering what some good counters were towards pokemon like cresselia and abomasnow. During WiFi I often face off against these, I don't usually use one set team, I like to experiment a little. However I usually keep the genies into consideration and normally have 0 problems taking those things out.
It's Cresselia and things like Ferrothorn I have issues fighting.

I'm in a mood to EV train/breed some Pokemon, just wondering what a couple of good suggestions are.

Heatran is always a good option against Abomasnow. Watch out for heatran counters. Scizor is a good option against Cresselia, as it has STAB bug bite and X Scissor. There are many other options, those are the two that come to mind for me.

When thinking of a good, and fairly hard counter to both of those pokemon, the first that pops to mind would have to be the Glamorous Froslass. She's extremely fast and can taunt both Cresselia and Abomasnow before they Lay up screens or down seeds respectively. Also, although it may take awhile, you can spam STAB Shadow Ball at Cresselia, she also appreciates the Hail Abomasnow sets up as long as she has Snow cloak. She's not a complete counter, but she's definitely viable to the both of the listed pokemon.

I'm going to assume this is doubles as Cresselia is uncommon elsewhere.

Cresselia is generally a Bulky Pokemon, and pretty much always carries 200+ HP EVs. Your best bet is to carry something with Taunt, like Thundurus, but that only does half the job, especially if it carries a Mental Herb (but that's not overly common). Thankfully it doesn't get too much damage on your Pokemon so you can let it do stuff then take it down when it's the only one left.

Abomasnow is pretty easy to take care of, faster things than it easily get the job done, as it has a massive 7 weaknesses. Terrakion is great as it has both Close Combat & Rock Slide but you don't want to take a Wood Hammer as that'll do you good.

O if this is doubles than umbreon and froslass/glaceon could do the job i think. Umbreon for cresselia and froslass or glaceon for abomasnow. I'm always partial towards eevees :p

I once countered a Cresselia well using Alakazam with Trick and Choice Specs. I locked it into Moonlight which didn't have a lot of PP so after a few Shadow Ball / Moonlight repeats it was forced to use struggle and I subsequently took it out. Not completely efficient but it worked without a hitch. Just needs some decent prediction.

That doesn't stop your opponent from just switching out. Yes, a Choiced Cresselia is rather crippled, but if they're leaving it in on your Alakazam they either don't know how to switch or they'd rather lose Cresselia than have any of their Pokemon take a Shadow Ball.

Abomasnow is really really easy to destroy as it has a grand total of 7 weaknesses, the most in the game, and its stats are all around lackluster. It'd probably be easier to list things that don't counter Abomasnow.

Any strong Ghost, Dark, or Bug attack will make quick work of Cresselia. A weather type other than Sun will also prevent its Moonlight from being very effective, making it even easier to wear down. Like most walls, Tricking it a Choice item (as mentioned above) will make it a lot less useful, although not completely useless.

If this is singles (and often even when it's not) the gen 4 Shiny CROWN Raikou (with Aura Sphere and Weather Ball) can be an excellent counter to practically all weather. Sure, it's locked into a Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef), so it loses a little effectiveness speed-wise, but it's still a force to be reckoned with. With the following set, it can OHKO Tyranitar, most Politoed, Abomasnow, and deal heavy damage to Ninetales in each summoner's respective weather. Additionally it can abuse sun as well to take out common Chlorophyll abusers with an epic effectively base 150 (cuz sun boost too) fire type Weather ball off a SAtk of 361, which puts even most fire types within KO range. Rain abusers in general can be dealt with either with Thunderbolt or HP Ice while Sand and Hail abusers fall to Aura Sphere. Proper prediction is still needed, but Raikou can still rip through many weather teams.

Raikou @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd or 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Aura Sphere
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Life Orb can be used over Expert Belt, but it doesn't net too many extra KOs and shortens Raikou's lifespan. It does hit a few pokemon like Ludicolo harder with LO, but not too many. Raikoi usually has an option to hit Super-Effectively. Beware of some specially bulky mons, like the ever-present Blissey/Chansey, and threats like Hippowdon who can tank a HP Ice and KO back with EQ. Also, choice scarves usually spell the end for this set due to the lack of a +speed nature in addition to Raikou's mediocre defenses. Also note that this set's function is primarily as a weather summoner counter that can deal with switches to most abusers. You will often have to predict counters to Raikou or walls rather than switches to abusers of the curent weather (though late-game Chlorosaur is generally easy to see coming and KO in the switch-in with Weather Ball). With practice, I have been able to reliably take out these counters and use Raikou as a sweeper as well on my sun team, making him more useful than simply as a niche set.

Back