Discussion Good Competitive Standard Beginners Deck?

Doskey

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, Im kind of new to TCG I have played the online TCG for about a year i only played theme decks thinking of taking it to the next level and playing Standard competitive in person I need to build a deck and was wondering what you guys think is a good deck to run at the current time I don't mind spending a bit of money?

DorilMagefont

Aspiring Trainer
From easiest to hardest, the Tier 1 decks IMO:

1. Blacephalon: really straightforward. Build your bench by using search cards/discarding Fire Energy. Use Mind Blown as your main attack. Use Naganadel to grab discarded energy/can do extra damage when you have 3 Prize Cards. Use Beast Ring when your opponent has 3/4 Prizes left.

2a. Pikarom - there are two variants, the "straight one" where your strategy is mainly to get 6 energy on Pikarom and use Tag Bolt GX. The "toolbox variant" is harder to play where you juggle mainly between Zapdos/Jolteon/Pikarom as the matchup requirements. Both variants can be plus or minus Jirachi (nowadays, mostly plus)

2b. Zapdos - Use Jirachi as a draw engine. Keep poking your opponent with Zapdos's Thunderous Assault + electropower until they lose. The Ultra Beasts variant (Buzzwole and Nihlego) is most popular right now.

3. Zororoc - A fairly hated deck, but it is not brainless as people say it is. Use Zoroark GX Trade as your main draw engine. Lycanroc-GX is a free enemy Pokemon switch + a nice GX attack. You run a lot of different cards, so you need to consider what to discard/what you need to draw to win.

4. Ultra Malamar - Use Malamar to charge up your Pokemon. Giratina is your main direct damage attacker. Use Ultra Necrozma-GX's attack to finish off your opponent. I think you could argue this is easier/on par with Zororoc, but I choose to say it's hardest because of the nonintuitive setup of Ultra Necrozma

Happy to be corrected by more veteran folks.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
PikaRom and Zapdos/Jirachi is a bit pricey right now because of Jirachi, but Lightning stuffs will likely remain relevant going into the release of the next set. PikaRom will gain Dedenne GX and Electromagnetic Radar for increased consistency, while Zapdos remains the strongest non-GX and oddly enough gains BuzzMosa as a really strong secondary attacker in that deck (to take a quick extra prize, as well as Jet Punch just being a great attack).

The other decks will probably be pretty decent going forward still, but I think the Lightning stuffs right now are not only the best decks in the current format, but also most likely to remain "tier 1" for another 4 months or so.

TheVong

BikaBika
Limitlesstcg tournament reports are pretty good, since you can see top placements and the decklists as well.

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
If your wanting really budget deck Alolan Exeggutor Just placed 3rd at the 2nd Argentina SPE here's the list

Pokemon - 14
4 Exeggcute FLI 1
2 Alolan Exeggutor FLI 2
2 Alolan Exeggutor TEU 114
2 Shuckle LOT 16
2 Marshadow SLG 45
1 Ditto Prism Star LOT 154
1 Mr. Mime TEU 66

Trainer - 35
4 Lillie SUM 122
4 Cynthia UPR 119
3 Guzma BUS 115
1 Erika's Hospitality TEU 140
1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Net Ball LOT 187
4 Custom Catcher LOT 171
3 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
1 Energy Recycle System CES 128
2 Choice Band GRI 121
2 Shrine of Punishment CES 143

Energy - 11
6 Grass Energy 1
1 Fire Energy 2
1 Lightning Energy 4
1 Psychic Energy 5
1 Fighting Energy 6
1 Metal Energy 8

dangs91

Aspiring Trainer
If your wanting really budget deck Alolan Exeggutor Just placed 3rd at the 2nd Argentina SPE here's the list

Pokemon - 14
4 Exeggcute FLI 1
2 Alolan Exeggutor FLI 2
2 Alolan Exeggutor TEU 114
2 Shuckle LOT 16
2 Marshadow SLG 45
1 Ditto Prism Star LOT 154
1 Mr. Mime TEU 66

Trainer - 35
4 Lillie SUM 122
4 Cynthia UPR 119
3 Guzma BUS 115