Discussion Golisopod

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
Golisopod
– Grass – HP130
Stage 1 – Evolves from Wimpod

Ability: Armor
Damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 30.

[G][C][C] Resolute Claw: 80 damage. If the opponent’s Active Pokemon is a Pokemon-GX or Pokemon-EX, this attack does 70 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Is anyone else strongly making a deck around this card? Generally doing 150 with 1 Grass and 1 DCE is no slouch, not even factoring in Choice Band (+30 more against GX and EX) or even the Sunny Day Lurantis (+20 damage for your Grass or Fire Pokemon). It's pretty beefy for a 1-prize stage 1 as well, though it seems like it'd take a little bit to set up, considering. Surely I'm not the only one, how've you been thinking about building it, or combinations that would help it a lot?

I see it as a secondary attacker because it will never, ever win matchups against decks that use one prize cards as their primary attacker. Especially Volcanion and Raikou.

FOGP is a big boon for it as a card though because it makes decks with multiple evolutionary lines slightly less janky. I could see it in a Decidueye deck as a one prize walling option that can also hit extremely hard. 160EHP is pretty good considering it has the same energy needs as Decidueye itself, it's not vulnerable to choice band which will make dealing with Tauros/Lugia much easier and it's not dependent on tool cards like FFB in order to take hits which is important now that we have a real tool removal option again. Decidueye also helps make the damage numbers work in situations where you're not against EX/GX and hitting the 180 dream with choice band.

Three Energy is a hefty attack cost for a Stage 1 non-GX. While the Ability will help keep it alive, 160 damage isn't that hard to do in this format. The attack, wbile powerful misses some important numbers. The base damage on a Pokémon-EX / GX is 150, which becomes 180 with the upckong Choice Band. That is somewhat significant, but it will fail to KO Belted Pokemon as well as Stage 1/2 Pokemon-GX and Lapras-GX.

Keep in mind it also benefits from baby lurantis so you can hit the 200 mark pretty consistently, and 220 is possible. I wouldn't bet on having 3 of those on bench though because between those, shaymins, possibly vileplumes and leles, bench space is going to be tight for grass decks.

And Lapras-GX is grass weak, not steel weak.

It is one hefty of a Pokémon to power up and really doesn't give enough up for for the energy count but it is somewhat bulky. Factoring in its ability, 160 is needed to OHKO, and it's a 1-Prize attacker. I think it could be very useful, maybe not on its own, but I'm sure Golisopod will find a way to be played.

Back