Discussion Glaceon-GX's Relavancy after Unbroken Bonds

TheAquaPiplup

Aspiring Trainer
Will Glaceon GX be dead after UNB comes out?

Here are some Cons/Pros that come to mind
CONS
Steel gets significant buffs
We get a stadium that does the same thing as Glaceon but for both sides (Unmanned Powerplant)

PROS
Fire gets significant buffs

the future for Glaceon looks bleak unless fire becomes the meta when UNB comes out internationally

Glaceon gives more power to your field against GX decks. I'm guessing that the stadium will work in Non-GX decks? Idk Haven't played it. Steel will always be an issue unless you fight steel with steel.

IMO, a good deck IS a good deck. You may only need to adjust (e.g., incorporate a few Weakness Policy) your deck to a possible new meta which MIGHT include more Metal decks. Besides, every deck will have "bad" match-ups. As long as your deck is solid and has good match-ups against the majority of the anticipated filed, you should still do well in big tournaments.

Glaceon GX isn’t even relevant now...
Based upon what? Please expound upon your opinion.

Glaceon GX deck variants (e.g., Glaceon-Zoroark) does quite well against a number decks (e.g., Shrine variants, Blacephalon, LM, etc.) in the current meta.

Last edited:
Based upon what? Please expound upon your opinion.

Glaceon GX deck variants (e.g., Glaceon-Zoroark) does quite well against a number decks (e.g., Shrine variants, Blacephalon, LM, etc.) in the current meta.
In the 24 standard events we've had this season LimitlessTCG shows that Glaceon only made day 2 a total four times, and the last one was 3 months ago. That is abysmal.

If you think Glaceon is a meta relevant deck you're out of your mind

Nobody said the deck was meta relevant, and because we're looking for how unbroken bonds changes the relevancy(as small as it might be) it doesn't help to say nothing about it's relevancy except it is not meta relevant.
I'd say any deck that a limitless list behind it can be considered a rogue deck. Glaceon GX is an okay card, but because of decks outpacing it recently, and the addition of jirachi for additional non GX drawpower I don't think Glaceon is that good of a deck choice right now.
When Unbroken Bonds is added we'll have even more bad things for Glaceon, primarily the Stadium that removes GX pokemon their ability's. Most decks will play less GX ability pokemon and thus Glaceons ability becomes worse. The metal support is another less prevalent one is the last nail in the coffin.
If you're interested in still playing Glaceon GX I'd recommend a deck built around all the different Eeveelutions we have right now. (Especially Vaporeon GX)

In the 24 standard events we've had this season LimitlessTCG shows that Glaceon only made day 2 a total four times, and the last one was 3 months ago. That is abysmal.
I would agree with your comment IF the distribution of decks (and deck pilots' qualities) across all of those 24 events were the same (which I strongly doubt), THEN the Glaceon GX's deck performance would indeed be poor. Match-ups throughout those events also make a huge difference. Only conclusion I can derive from your comment is that Glaceon GX is not as popular as other decks.

I would agree with your comment IF the distribution of decks (and deck pilots' qualities) across all of those 24 events were the same (which I strongly doubt), THEN the Glaceon GX's deck performance would indeed be poor. Match-ups throughout those events also make a huge difference. Only conclusion I can derive from your comment is that Glaceon GX is not as popular as other decks.
If we're talking relevancy then popularity matters. Why would a deck that no one plays be relevant to the meta? Or that it's unpopular in high level competition because it not a good deck and people know not to play it

I feel like Glaceon will be considered similar to Honchkrow GX in that they both have ways to evolve turn one but both are to slow to be meta relevant. If Glaceon were going to be good it would probably be right now with no metal and viridian being released but just doesn't get there.

With the new stadium (GX pokemon has no abilities) I see no reason to play Glaceon GX anymore. I hoped it would be playable for the current meta, but too many decks rely only on no or a limited number of GX abilities, therefore Glaceon GX is not a play now and will it not be after the next set also

I think so since it counters Zorark & Greninja decks relying on the dark type Incineroar and stops Seviper inside Muk & Alolan Muk decks.

I think so since it counters Zorark & Greninja decks relying on the dark type Incineroar and stops Seviper inside Muk & Alolan Muk decks.
Your making the assumption that either of those decks will be good and meta defining also glaceon does not turn off seviper

Back