Getting ready for Cities

Azurial

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking at testing extensively for Cities and I'm looking for six definitive decks (lists or not) to test against over the next few weeks as I have been out of the competitive loop for a while. Thanks in advance!

grantm1999

VileGar
Darkrai/Hydreigon, Landorus EX/Garbodor, Keldeo EX/Blastoise, Rayquaza EX/Eelektrik, Tornadus EX variants [probably most commonly played with Aspertia Gym, Regigigas EX, Aerodactyl (maybe, that'd conflict some with Aspertia), Mewtwo, and such] , and probably Dusknoir variants. (Registeel, Flygon, Darkrai, Landorus).

9Tailz

the human embodiment of garbodor
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Fighting.dec (Landorus EX, Terrakion, Terrakion EX ect.)
Rayquaza/Eelektric
Keldeo EX/ Blastiose
Big Basics (Mewtwo EX, Darkrai EX, Terrakion, Bouffalant)
I know that's only 5. You might want to look into testing with Dusknoir and Celebi EX decks, although I don't think they'll be that popular.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Here's my list (there's not much variation between other people's suggestions though since only a couple decks will probably be the biggest).

Darkrai Varients (Darkrai+Basics. Like Terrakion, Landorus EX, Mewtwo EX, etc.)
Eelektrik (Rayquaza and/or Mewtwo, essentially the same deck)
Keldeo/Blastoise
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Tornadus EX+Basics (Landorus EX, Bouffalant, Regigigas EX, etc.)
Empoleon (With "stuff" like Terrakion, Landorus/Stunfisk, Roserade, Dusknoir, etc.)

dmaster out.

Blah

DBT
I would post mine, but dmaster pretty much got everything I had to say. The only thing I would disagree with is Empoleon because Landorus EX makes it extremely difficult to set up basics and Keldeo/Blastoise utterly destroys it.

Slowbro

Aspiring Trainer
Blah said:
I would post mine, but dmaster pretty much got everything I had to say. The only thing I would disagree with is Empoleon because Landorus EX makes it extremely difficult to set up basics and Keldeo/Blastoise utterly destroys it.
Empoleon can easily kill Lando, and a well timed N can put Blastoise/Keldeo in its place.

Blah

DBT
pokemonjoe said:
Blah said:
Empoleon can easily kill Lando, and a well timed N can put Blastoise/Keldeo in its place.

I completely understand the weaknesses of Blastoise/Keldeo, but the fact is that once you get 5 energy on a Keldeo (which is not hard by any means early game), they OHKO your Stage 2's while you two hit KO their basics. By the time they're down to one prize for the N, you won't have any attackers left.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has played and loved Empoleon throughout the time it has been viable. I'm not saying Empoleon is dead, but it certainly has a bad matchup against Keldeo, despite the fact that Keldeo isn't that great.

I do agree with you on the Landorus, although early Hammerheads can cripple set up immensely.

Slowbro

Aspiring Trainer
Blah said:
pokemonjoe said:

I completely understand the weaknesses of Blastoise/Keldeo, but the fact is that once you get 5 energy on a Keldeo (which is not hard by any means early game), they OHKO your Stage 2's while you two hit KO their basics. By the time they're down to one prize for the N, you won't have any attackers left.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has played and loved Empoleon throughout the time it has been viable. I'm not saying Empoleon is dead, but it certainly has a bad matchup against Keldeo, despite the fact that Keldeo isn't that great.

I do agree with you on the Landorus, although early Hammerheads can cripple set up immensely.
In my testing with Empoleon/Accelgor (yes, with 6+ dead cards), I have been able to stream 3+ Empoleons, which is easily enough to keep up with Keldeo. Empoleon has a favorable Keldeo matchup IMO.

Random Numbers

creeper FTW!
Empoleon will definitely be seen at cities.
Here are the decks I think I'll see at cities:
Duskinoir varients
Landorus varients
blastoise keldeo
empoleon
Darkrai hydreigon
mewtwo terrakion
Darkrai varients

Emopanda133

Aspiring Trainer
I would definitly test against:

Dusknoir Varients, mainly Registeel, Ladnorus and Raticate versions.

Darkrai comes one of four variants (usually) and they are Terrakion (Hammertime). Mewtwo (Igor Costa's). Tornadus/Bouffalant (Donk deck). And Landorus (Either with Terrakion NV or Terrakion EX)

Keldeo/Blastiose (Watch out for Kyurem, Registeel, Bouffalant, Mewtwo, Kyogre, even Terrakion)

Eel variants (Rayquaza and Raikou, Zekrom and Mewtwo)

Landorus decks such as Terrakion (EX and NV), Mewtwo/Bouffalant/Aerodactyl

Tornadus EX with Aerodactyl, Mewtwo, Regigigas, Bouffalant, give or take some those techs.

Empoleon (not that popular but still effective) Mostly seen with Roserade and or Terrakion, Stunfisk, or Landorus EX

Garbodor variants these are important if you run a stage 1 or 2 deck, watch out for Golurks, but Garbage decks are usually TerrakionEX/Mewtwo EX or Registeel Spread decks.

Ho-oh variants such as Tornadus EX, Mewtwo, Sigilyph, Registeel, and/or Terrakion

Darkrai/Hydregion, this one has like 10 techs that are all splashable with Blend GRPD Energy. (Giratina, Shaymin, Mewtwo, Entei, Reshiram EX, Registeel, and Sigilyph are the common ones

Amoongus variants such as Ninetails and Raticate

I think other than that, look into Vileplume and Charizard decks for an overview of them..

alex

Miss the game
Landorus + big Fighting basics (Terrakion, Terrakion EX)
Darkrai/Mewtwo
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Keldeo/Blastoise
Darkrai/Landorus
Tornadus EX + big basics (Landorus, Mewtwo, etc.)

Have fun.

grantm1999

VileGar
alexmf2 said:
Darkrai/Mewtwo
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Keldeo/Blastoise
Darkrai/Landorus

Have fun.

No Eels? 3 Darkrai? Interesting...

Blah

DBT
grantm1999 said:
alexmf2 said:
Darkrai/Mewtwo
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Keldeo/Blastoise
Darkrai/Landorus

Have fun.

No Eels? 3 Darkrai? Interesting...

Eels gets eaten alive by Landorus EX. It's not totally dead, but I have to agree that it's probably not on the top 6.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Well everything is beaten by something:
Darkrai < Terrakion< Hammers < Eels < Landorus EX < Keldeo EX < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Darkrai lol
Maybe not the last part but you see that its a circle.
So if something gets destroyed by something else, test the deck that destroys. Then test what destroys that. Then what destroys that. etc. etc.
So Eels is viable.

Alaska

formerly princemeat skarmheart
Darkrai Hydreigon
Keldoise
Landorus Variant (Aerodactyl, Mewtwo, Terrakion)
Rayeels
Darkrai Variants
Empoleon

Smeargle

Garchomp/landorus EX
Big basics (terrakion, boufalant, etc)
Ho-oh
Darkrai variants
Fighting variants
Blastoise variants

alex

Miss the game
RogueChomp said:
Darkrai < Terrakion< Hammers < Eels < Landorus EX < Keldeo EX < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Mewtwo < Darkrai lol
So if something gets destroyed by something else, test the deck that destroys. Then test what destroys that. Then what destroys that. etc. etc.
So Eels is viable.

Sadly, it's not as simple as that.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
alexmf2 said:
RogueChomp said:
So Eels is viable.

Sadly, it's not as simple as that.

Obviously. Reshiboar and Gothitelle Reuniclus could fit somewhere but will never again b viable. I'm just sayin in this meta every top tier deck has a weakness, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be played.

Azurial

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for the great suggestions guys :)

So far my training schedual is looking like this

Test against:
Darkrai/Hydreigon
EelQuaza
Darkrai/Terrakion
Mewtwo/Terrakion
Blastiose/Keldeo
Fighting

Now the deck I'm working on is already good at taking down Darkrai/Hydreigon as I understand that it really needs those Dragons to get going asap or the whole thing fails. I played Eel variants for most of the year so playing around those is fairly easy, but I still tested against it and am fairly confident it's going to be a favorable matchup for me (maybe 60/40 - 70/30 in my favor), so the biggest issue I can possibly foresee is Blastoise.

Has any one done any extensive testing with it yet? If so, how often can you get the Turn Two turtle AND all of the energy you need. I don't yet have the cards I need to build it (short on the Keldy department), and I want to know how much effort I need to put into it before I even consider going after the ponies.