Collecting Getting into the hobby, booster box buying, and singles selling

pjvedder

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone, I'm new to this community, so please bear with me :)

I'm looking to get into the more collecting aspect of the Pokemon TCG. I have some experience with TCGs in the past, but mostly with digital versions more recently (games where you could actually sell your digital cards for real money, I'm not talking about games like Hearthstone where you can't trade/sell).

Anyway, I bought a booster box of Cosmic Eclipse and had a blast opening up the packs. I was able to get most of the non-Ultra Rare set, but now I'm left with a number of cards missing, and lot of extra cards I don't need (mostly low-rarity). I sold the online codes, and I pulled a couple of decent Secrets and Ultra Rares that I'm thinking of selling to help mitigate the cost of the initial spend of the box (or to help me get the basic cards I need).

I'm hooked, and I want to keep going, opening more packs, collecting different sets, etc., but I don't want to shell out $80 each time ($90-about $10 back from selling the codes) and be left with hoards of unwanted cards. I also don't want to JUST buy singles, because half the fun for me is opening packs. Do the Storefronts or random people who post cards to sell on TCGPlayer (or any other similar site) actually make any money selling singles? Like, is it a good investment to buy a number of boxes (let's say a case, for argument sake), and load everything up in TCG Player that I don't want/need? Maybe "investment" isn't the best word, and I know I'm not going to break even, but is it even reasonable to say that I can sell some of the commons/uncommons on TCG Player and make some money back? For those of you who do buy booster boxes, what do you do with all of your extra commons/uncommons?

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can sell singles on TCG player or the like (or a local game store, which can sometimes offer better deals if you are looking for credit to buy in-store), as well as selling bulk (not competitively/collecting valuable cards) to websites (or sometimes local game stores will offer to buy them as well) I've seen either 3k for a box, or $6 for 100, but you might be able to find a better deal if you look harder. It is also somewhat important to know what cards are better off as singles, and what is better to sell as bulk.

Back