Gengar Prime Discussion

How do you think Gengar will fare in the upcoming Metagame? Please post why you chose what you did.

• Total voters

Porygon-X

There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
PokeBeach said:
Gengar (Prime) – Psychic – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Haunter

Poke-Body: Catastrophe
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, if an opponent’s Pokemon is Knocked Out, that Pokemon is placed in the Lost Zone. (All cards other than Pokemon cards are discarded.)

[P] Plunge Into Darkness: Look at your opponent’s hand, choose a number of Pokemon up to the number of Psychic Energy attached to this Pokemon, and place them in the Lost Zone.
[P][C] Cursed Droplets: Place 4 damage counters on your opponent’s Pokemon in any way you like.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Colorless (-20)
Retreat: 0

Pokebeach said:
Lost World - Stadium

Each player may, during his or her turn, end the game and declare himself or herself the winner if the opponent has 6 or more Pokemon cards in his or her Lost Zone.

You can only play 1 Stadium card next to your Active Pokemon during your turn. If a Stadium with a different name comes into play, discard this card.

Ok. That's the guy.

I want to know your oponion on how Gengar will fare in the upcoming Metagame. Not what you hear other people say, what you really think.

In my opinion, Gengar will not be that great. I've play tested him my self, and I can tell you he's:

1)Too slow! Without Claydol, this guy moves slower than a rock.

2)Not consistant enough.

3)Probably not a great option. If you can get a Knockout every turn with Jumpluff, than run it. Gengar needs time to setup, and even then, your oponent doesn't always have a pokemon in their hand.

Plus, you're forgeting that you oponent gets to attack somewhere in there too.

I think that people will play him in the begining, and then he'll die out once people realize how bad it is.

What is your opinion?

Edit: Discuss any aspect of Gengar Prime here. I broadened the subject for more discussion. ~EspeonROX.

RE: How much impact will Gengar Prime ACTUALLY have?

Moved this thread to Player's Sandbox, since:
-Gengar Prime is not out in English yet
-Those said cards might not be in our November set, and could be delayed until February.
-We don't know a definite metagame until after the first week of Battle Roads
-At the moment, pure speculation for now - without some proven evidence to support the claim.

I think Gengar Prime will be very good although, I do not think it will completely dominate the format. I just hope it won't be one of those "If you don't play it counter it" type of deck. But it's still to early to tell how dominant it will be.
Porygon-X said:
Probably not a great option. If you can get a Knockout every turn with Jumpluff, than run it. Gengar needs time to setup, and even then, your oponent doesn't always have a pokemon in their hand.
Actually if you play Hunter (Which all Gengar Prime decks should play) your opponent picks up a pokemon and you pick up something like Uxie then you just use Plunge Into Darkness and thats one pokemon automatically in your opponents lost zone.

Mew Jadester said:
Moved this thread to Player's Sandbox, since:
-Gengar Prime is not out in English yet
-Those said cards might not be in our November set, and could be delayed until February.
-We don't know a definite metagame until after the first week of Battle Roads
-At the moment, pure speculation for now - without some proven evidence to support the claim.

Ah. That makes sense. I apologize.

Actually if you play Hunter (Which all Gengar Prime decks should play) your opponent picks up a pokemon and you pick up something like Uxie then you just use Plunge Into Darkness and thats one pokemon automatically in your opponents lost zone.

Hm! I forgot about Hunter.

Look. It's got the ability to stall with Spiritomb PA and abuse Hunter's effect. (Absol G LV.X might make a good partner, but it's kinda flippy.) 130 HP is massive, and with a ground-breaking first attack, we don't know what to expect. It's a good card. It'll see play for sure.

Here's my thoughts on Gengar.

One. How many decks actually play a lot of Pokemon. Gengar will rarely get two or more Pokemon in the lost zone with its attack.
Two. The Poke-Body is its most consistent way to put Pokemon in the lost zone. Therefore, it is weak to Dialga G.
Three. Its not really worth a spot in Gengar decks. IMO, its not worth sacrificing a Feinting Spell, or Curse Gengar for.
Finally. Since the Body is its consistent way to get Pokemon in the Lost Zone, 6 Pokemon in the Lost Zones equals 6 Prize cards, rendering Lost World useless.

Its an okay card. Definitely worse than everyone thinks it is, but its still okay.

I don't see how gengar is slower than jumpluff
they both are stage 2 and need 1 energy to attack.

You can use hunter to make sure he has a pokemon in hand.

You could also combo with mew prime. They say that this rules the japanese empire.

Bippa201 said:
Finally. Since the Body is its consistent way to get Pokemon in the Lost Zone, 6 Pokemon in the Lost Zones equals 6 Prize cards, rendering Lost World useless.
Now its first attack puts pokemon from the hand into the lost zone, use hunter then use chatot G to look at oppnents top cards, put as many pokemon you see on the top 3, absol G lvl X does 3 heads, 3 pokemon are in the lost zone, now attack they have 3 in hand they go to the lost zone, its up to 6 when they draw, lost world to end game. with rare candy, maybe put lvl X down for a little more HP and take out any lvl X's out of the way to take out. it could take at least, 4 turns at least to get everything out and do a total lost world defeat.

Gliscor172 said:
Now its first attack puts pokemon from the hand into the lost zone, use hunter then use chatot G to look at oppnents top cards, put as many pokemon you see on the top 3, absol G lvl X does 3 heads, 3 pokemon are in the lost zone, now attack they have 3 in hand they go to the lost zone, its up to 6 when they draw, lost world to end game. with rare candy, maybe put lvl X down for a little more HP and take out any lvl X's out of the way to take out. it could take at least, 4 turns at least to get everything out and do a total lost world defeat.
You won't get three heads all of the time (.075 chance), and there is no guarantee that 3 Pokemon will be the top four cards.

Bippa201 said:
Here's my thoughts on Gengar.

One. How many decks actually play a lot of Pokemon. Gengar will rarely get two or more Pokemon in the lost zone with its attack. Yeah, SP decks don't play 20-22 Pokemon... and Stage Two decks don't run 4-3-4 lines.. etc.
Two. The Poke-Body is its most consistent way to put Pokemon in the lost zone. Therefore, it is weak to Dialga G. REALLLY? Did you know Gengar has a LV.X? :eek:
Three. Its not really worth a spot in Gengar decks. IMO, its not worth sacrificing a Feinting Spell, or Curse Gengar for. Playing Curse Gengar in any Gengar build right now is pretty foolish, imho. I'd glady play 2 Gengar SF, 1 Gengar Prime, 1 Gengar LV.X.
Finally. Since the Body is its consistent way to get Pokemon in the Lost Zone, 6 Pokemon in the Lost Zones equals 6 Prize cards, rendering Lost World useless. Let's see... you KO a Stage 2 Pokemon... there's 2-3 Pokemon Cards right there! 3-4 if it's Leveled Up!

Its an okay card. Definitely worse than everyone thinks it is, but its still okay.

I'm already thanking this card for the jump in value it will give to our friend Dialga G Lv. X.

It's a narrow card, imho. Without the Lost World stadium, it's not good.

Oh heavens. Dialga G LV.X usage will jump tremendously, but that won't stop the Hunter + Plunge Into Darkness strategy.

Spamming Stadiums will be popular as well, as to keep that Lost World out of play. Maybe Houndoom would become a little more active as to discard Gengar-users hands to keep them from doing anything. That's just a thought. Who knows? Only time will tell.

I think that if Gengar Prime evolves into a major player in the North American Metagame you can easily tech in something like Banette to make its only useful attack worthless by discarding the Pokemon in your hand. Sure, it may lead to a free prize for your opponent, but if they are running a Gengar Prime deck that is probably the only prize they are going to get. Also, if this is combo'd in an SP deck with x4 Aaron's collections you never actually lose your Pokemon and there goes Gengar Prime's entire attack strategy.

Also, I think the body is essentially useless since it would take too many slots to pair this with an effective attacker and Gengar Prime's damaging attack is nearly pointless.

It's really dependent on what we actually end up getting. Right now, Gengar Prime, Mew Prime, and Lost world are dominating that format with no sign of letting up. If we get the Stadium, and an extremely consistent 60 card variant shows up, then it's going to be amazing. But if we don't get the stadium like folks have been speculating, then Gengar isn't going to be as much of a force.

Secretsof2113 said:
It's really dependent on what we actually end up getting. Right now, Gengar Prime, Mew Prime, and Lost world are dominating that format with no sign of letting up. If we get the Stadium, and an extremely consistent 60 card variant shows up, then it's going to be amazing. But if we don't get the stadium like folks have been speculating, then Gengar isn't going to be as much of a force.

Well without the stadium Gengar Prime becomes nothing more than a shiny card to distract someone with... or maybe a bookmark.

The Body is pretty useless as Cimurph pointed out...Cursed Droplets? Are you kidding me? Maybe if it Leveled Up to Gengar LV.X, but it'd be a while to KO Pokemon with 100-140 HP with Compound Pain.

Cimurph said:
Well without the stadium Gengar Prime becomes nothing more than a shiny card to distract someone with... or maybe a bookmark.

Exactly my point. Without the combination, Gengar prime is nearly useless.

Genger Prime is to clunky, it's not that good it is way to over hyped.
It will get KO'ed to easily since it can only do a max of 40 and the other attack can be a bit of a gamble if you don't know whats in their hand and your pokemon will be attacking gengar. I think genger is just way to over hyped

Yes, I agree with everyone here. But I forgot one card that I was supposed to put up:

Mr. Mime.

This card form Lost Link allows you to look at your opponent's hand (and him look at yours, but that's not important), and see if they have any pokemon in there.

I'm still of the opinopn that Gengar won't be as good, but Mr. Mime will sure see some play in the deck.

Porygon-X said:
Yes, I agree with everyone here. But I forgot one card that I was supposed to put up:

Mr. Mime.

This card form Lost Link allows you to look at your opponent's hand (and him look at yours, but that's not important), and see if they have any pokemon in there.

I'm still of the opinopn that Gengar won't be as good, but Mr. Mime will sure see some play in the deck.

Mr. Mime is really kinda meh... it is too easily killed, power sprayable, and worthless if your Gengar is getting avoided through discards or just getting overpowered. Granted I find the entire Lost Link set to be waaaaaay overhyped as a whole.

Back