• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar EX / Trevenant

Seijiro

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:

• 3 Gengar EX
    3 Trevenant
    3 Phantump
    1 Sigilyph
    1 Mr.Mime (Plasma Freeze)
    1 Reshiram (outrage)
    1 zekrom (Outrage)
    1 Kyurem ex (outrage)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 3 Ultra Ball
    1 dowsing machine
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Virbank City Gym
    2 Muscle Band
    3 N
    2 Colress
    3 Sycamore
    4 Float Stone
    3 Skyla
    1 pokemon fan club
    1 shauna
    1 Professors letter
    2 startling megaphone
    1 silver bangle
Energy:

• 4 Double Colorless Energy
    4 Psychic Energy
    4 mystery energy

Strategy:Hit and run gorilla tactics. I made some changes after reading everyones comments, thank you all.

i was thinking of a similar idea, but I'm a little unsure since both Gengar-EX and Trevenant are weak to Dark. Given the success of Donphan though, I think there should be a place in the format for this deck. I don't think M-Gengar is necessary. You want to keep Gengar on the bench, as well as hit and run with the poison. Have you considered running Dragalge FLF? Its Ability prevents your opponent's poisoned Pokemon from retreating (it doesn't have to be active to work), so that could combo well with Gengar.

I also think you can cut down your basic Psychic energy. Sixten total energies is a little on the high end. I'd cut at least two, brining you to a total of fourteen, and you could go lower if you'd like. This sill give you more room for Supporters, which you running on the low end, Pokemon (Dragalge) or items.

Please add scans / text for cards not released in English to your original post. Thanks!

My Little Keldeo said:
i was thinking of a similar idea, but I'm a little unsure since both Gengar-EX and Trevenant are weak to Dark. Given the success of Donphan though, I think there should be a place in the format for this deck. I don't think M-Gengar is necessary. You want to keep Gengar on the bench, as well as hit and run with the poison. Have you considered running Dragalge FLF? Its Ability prevents your opponent's poisoned Pokemon from retreating (it doesn't have to be active to work), so that could combo well with Gengar.

I also think you can cut down your basic Psychic energy. Sixten total energies is a little on the high end. I'd cut at least two, brining you to a total of fourteen, and you could go lower if you'd like. This sill give you more room for Supporters, which you running on the low end, Pokemon (Dragalge) or items.

You could use Dedenne since it's energy cost is low and most people generally play yvetal as the dark pokemon in their deck. It would be great too for starting up the bench and being a decent attacker.

I was thinking of something similar but without Trevenant (too much dark weakness like someone else said). Just go straight safeguard. I do like the one M Gengar though. Add in a couple of max potions and use him as your tank when after you U-turn with Gengar EX. Potion the damage away and float stone out (a single mystery energy could be sacrificed if necessary).

I would suggest changing the mystery energy for fire energy and adding Pyroar. This is going to be the last year we'll see it in standard but Virizion Genesect is immune to this deck because of the whole verdant wind issue. Pyroar hits grass Virizion Genesect for weakness and will also being hitting the big metal pokemon that are coming out in phantom forces (if they join the meta) for weakness as well. Plus it's immunity to most basic pokemon gives it an even bigger advantage over those two archetypes.
I'd also suggest at least one more skyla to increase your chances of drawing into it as well as decreasing your chances of having your 1 of prized.

joleson490 has a point, but you could also run Garbordor and add tools to the list, instead of running Pyroar. Find something to take your beating when Gengar U-turns and you are good to go.

But Garbodor shuts down Trevenant's Ability. There's a Wobbuffet in Phantom Forces that locks Abilities except for those on Pyschic Pokemon once it's in the Active spot. That goes better with the U-Turning strategy.

Does that even work with gengar though? Because gengar would attack poison and then retreat to the bench. So the opponents active pokemon would still benefit from verdant wind up until wobbuffet is active. Thus they wouldnt be hit by poison.

Ivy_Profen said:
Does that even work with gengar though? Because gengar would attack poison and then retreat to the bench. So the opponents active pokemon would still benefit from verdant wind up until wobbuffet is active. Thus they wouldnt be hit by poison.

No that wouldn't work. I didn't realize Garbodor was proposed for specifically shutting down Verdant Wind, just to be a general annoyance. Oops. At any point, if you play Garbodor, I don't think it makes too much since to play Trevenant or Safeguarders, so the only things you could have to switch into would be Outragers.

Back