BW/BW2 Generation V Dream World Pokémon

AlienMLC

Soaring through the clouds
Generation V Dream World Pokémon

In this thread, we can talk about what Pokémon that debuted in Generation V you would like most and which you think will be most popular when they're released. Some are already released, such as Munna/Musharna and Darumaka/Darmanitan. Discussion of these Pokémon is acceptable, too. I personally believe that Serperior, Chandelure, and possibly Reuniclus will be popular. Golurk is basically a wannabe Machamp. I look forward to seeing what you have to say!:)

Okay, Reuniclus won't actually be popular. But it's my favorite Pokémon, so I have a bias. All bias aside, continue to discuss.

DW Reuniclus will not be popular. Magic Guard is already the most favored ability, and since it already learns Recover, Regenerator won't even be necessary. I suppose there's the reverse psychology factor, but still.

DW Chandelure is actually banned in PO OU, and DW Serperior is a big threat in the same medium. (They've released all BW DW Pokemon there.)

I think two interesting ones will be Klinklang (Clear Body) and Cinccino (Skill Link). Klinklang finally doesn't have a deadweight ability, and since Cinccino gets several multi-hit moves, it can be very devastating.

DNA said:
DW Reuniclus will not be popular. Magic Guard is already the most favored ability, and since it already learns Recover, Regenerator won't even be necessary. I suppose there's the reverse psychology factor, but still.

DW Chandelure is actually banned in PO OU, and DW Serperior is a big threat in the same medium. (They've released all BW DW Pokemon there.)

I think two interesting ones will be Klinklang (Clear Body) and Cinccino (Skill Link). Klinklang finally doesn't have a deadweight ability, and since Cinccino gets several multi-hit moves, it can be very devastating.

True, but Reuniclus is my favorite Pokémon, so that statement was biased, and you're right. My Reuniclus's Magic Guard is too valuable to be replaced with Regenerator. Other Pokémon would love it, though, so it's kind of a waste in Reuniclus.

DNA said:
I suppose there's the reverse psychology factor, but still.
i.e. run Regenerator on Reuniclus. They will think you have Magic Guard so they won't try wasting time statusing you...well, except for maybe paralysis. However, once they set up rocks and they find out you get hurt, the jig is up.

It's the same reason why people run Heatproof on Bronzong. You think they have Levitate, but use a Fire-type move and it barely does 25% HP damage.

DNA said:
i.e. run Regenerator on Reuniclus. They will think you have Magic Guard so they won't try wasting time statusing you...well, except for maybe paralysis. However, once they set up rocks and they find out you get hurt, the jig is up.

It's the same reason why people run Heatproof on Bronzong. You think they have Levitate, but use a Fire-type move and it barely does 25% HP damage.

That's true. But you lose your ability to switch in when you predict a status move. No one would expect anything but Magic Guard. Also similar is Vaporeon. No one would ever attack it with a water move anyway, but with Hydration, you lose the ability to switch into a water attack. It all boils down to switches for the most part.

Vaporeon's resistant to Water anyway and would barely take any damage. Same thing with Jellicent and Cursed Body. It's not quite the same scenario but I get your point.

But they'll see that you take entry/weather damage and know you don't have Magic Guard...
Honestly, DW Serperior was overrated when it first came out, and it's still bad. It's special movepool essentially consists of Leaf Storm and Hidden Power, so it gets terrible coverage and Heatran walls it to no end. Unless they run HP Ground, but then most Levitators and Flying types dispose of it rather easily.
Iron Fist Conkeldurr will be good for SubPunch sets, and possibly Band sets as well.

If Swoobat had better stats, it could be deadly with Simple. Calm Mind gives it a Nasty Plot as well as an Amnesia boost and it can use Assist Power for a 200 base power attack.

If Shadow Tag Chandelure gets banned, Shadow Tag Gothitelle is still around.

Regenerator Almomomola is a very good Wish Passer.

If Shadow Tag Chandelure gets banned, Shadow Tag Gothitelle is still around.
The Shadow Tag ability is banned, never mind it on that monstrous candelabra.

DNA said:
Vaporeon's resistant to Water anyway and would barely take any damage. Same thing with Jellicent and Cursed Body. It's not quite the same scenario but I get your point.

Water Absorb is more useful than that. It doesn't matter how powerful the water attack is; it always recovers 1/4 of its HP. I see what you mean, though. Water Absorb is good in double battles with Surf-- unless your opponent has Water Absorb or Storm Drain.

DNA said:
The Shadow Tag ability is banned, never mind it on that monstrous candelabra.

It may be banned on PO, but suppose someday you're at a VGC tournament where Pokémon aren't banned for their abilities. Flash Fire is still viable, though, anyway.

Klinklang's ability is not dead weight if you play it on double battles and triple battles though. It's like Beheeyem: It was not designed with single battles in mind.

You're overlooking Golurk as an inferior Machamp. It's not, STAB Earthquake and near perfect coverage with perfect accuracy Stone Edge is amazing. Perfect accuracy Dynamic Punch is the icing on the cake. Trust me, I use Golruk, and it really is amazing. Other stuff would be sheer force Landorus and Ferliagtr, which are amazing sweepers.

Prankster Liepard will be an interesting Pokémon to use. With access to Torment, it can force any Choiced Pokémon to switch. It also has access to Thunder Wave (then again, so does Thundurus), but Thundurus doesn't have Sucker Punch. Use Taunt then Sucker Punch so it can't use status, or predict it will switch after Taunt and use Pursuit.

Nope. I've used Liepard, its terrible. It's defenses are so bad it can be OHKOed by a strong normally effect STAB attack, the typing is bad, the offense is bad, and its too luck-based to do much of anything.

Dark Void said:
Nope. I've used Liepard, its terrible. It's defenses are so bad it can be OHKOed by a strong normally effect STAB attack, the typing is bad, the offense is bad, and its too luck-based to do much of anything.

You've used it and I haven't, so you're probably right.

Klinklang's ability is not dead weight if you play it on double battles and triple battles though. It's like Beheeyem: It was not designed with single battles in mind.
I actually have a Beheeyem doubles set planned out and I'm dying to test it out one day.

Anyway, although Klinklang isn't completely deadweight, you have to think - what other Pokemon get Plus or Minus? You have: Plusle, Minun, Ampharos, Manectric, or another Klinklang, and that's it. And of those, only the last two are actually really worth using, and there are still other options out there that are better than Manectric.

Plus or Minus on Klinklang is a bit more deadweight than you think.

DNA said:
I actually have a Beheeyem doubles set planned out and I'm dying to test it out one day.

Anyway, although Klinklang isn't completely deadweight, you have to think - what other Pokemon get Plus or Minus? You have: Plusle, Minun, Ampharos, Manectric, or another Klinklang, and that's it. And of those, only the last two are actually really worth using, and there are still other options out there that are better than Manectric.

Plus or Minus on Klinklang is a bit more deadweight than you think.

The thing is that something is either dead weight or it's not. I don't disagree with you that Plus and Minus on Klinklang is really not very useful, but it's not entirely nonfunctional.

That being said, there seems to be a Japanese player going around named "5" who has over a thousand victories using a Plusle and Minun team over triple battles. I faced him and got torn apart.

Ophie said:
That being said, there seems to be a Japanese player going around named "5" who has over a thousand victories using a Plusle and Minun team over triple battles. I faced him and got torn apart.
That just proves that anything can be deadly if used correctly. I've seen a video where a guy used Baton Pass to sweep an Uber team with Magikarp.

The thing is that something is either dead weight or it's not. I don't disagree with you that Plus and Minus on Klinklang is really not very useful, but it's not entirely nonfunctional.
I'm aware of that - but the point is, will a Plus or Minus Klinklang be used over one with Clear Body? No, of course not - Clear Body is by far the superior ability, because you get to keep all those Charge Beam and Shift Gear boosts you've amassed. Therefore, if DW Klinklang ever gets released, a non-DW one will basically not be even considered.

Espeon is much the same way. Synchronize is a great ability, it really is. But its DW ability, Magic Bounce, is 5 times better because it effectively makes T-Wave, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and the like backfire in the user's face. As a result, Synchronize Espeon is never used. I think, by that same token, if Clear Body Klinklang is released, then Plus/Minus Klinklang will never be used.

You get what I'm saying, right? If a Pokemon has multiple abilities, and one of them just far surpasses the others in usefulness, that one will be used almost exclusively. I cite Espeon, Klinklang, and Reuniclus as examples, and I'm sure there are many more.

Back