• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Garchomp/Octillery

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Pokemon: 16
4 Gible
2 Gabite
4 Garchomp
2 Remoraid
2 Octillery
1 Giratina (Promo)
1 Lucario EX

Trainers: 36
4 Focus Sash
4 Korrina
4 Juniper
4 Ultra Ball
2 Float Stone
4 VS Seeker
1 N
1 Lysandre
1 Scorched Earth
1 Fighting Stadium
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Sacred Ash
4 Rare Candy
2 Max Potion
1 Startling Megaphone

Energy: 8
4 Strong Energy
4 Fighting Energy

This is a modified version of a Garchomp deck I ran last year. My strategy is to start with preferrably two Gible and ensure that I can get at least one Garchomp going by turn 2. The reason for having 4 sashes, Korrinas and candies is because after doing some testing I found that Garchomp can really do some damage if it stays out for long periods of time. Having those really increases the chances of that happening. Also, 130 HP is pretty frail, so I need those Max Potions and sashes to keep them alive. Although a lot of decks depend on Battle Compressor for consistency, I find that Garchomp doesn't really need it. One of Garchomp's biggest threats is Trev. It resists it, prevents candies and sashes and to top it all off, the spread damage makes it so that any sashes attached might as well not be there. I'm only ever able to get one maybe two Garchomps up in that matchup. Luckily, Giratina locks trevenants ability if it evolves, so either it evolves and I can play items again, or it doesn't and Garchomp can then 2HKO it with a Strong Energy. I chose to run Octillery over Shaymin because I find that in this deck you need a constant flow of cards rather than having a lot at certain times.

Lucario is an iffy card that I'm not too sure about yet. It doesn't share the same weakness as Garchomp giving it a better chance against bees, but it's weak to psychic giving this deck another reason to be careful around Trev. However Zygarde EX, is the other card I've been thinking about. It has higher HP, and Trev isn't as much of a problem, however it shares the same weakness as Garchomp so it takes a hit against bees.

Any advice is appreciated!

I ran Landorus EX with Garchomp last season (and will be this season too) with much success. IMO, Landorus EX is one of the best Pokémon ever released. I'd suggest replacing the Giratina (which is just a bench warmer and an easy Lysandre-1HKO target for some decks) and the Lucario EX with 2 Landorus EX. Also, consider running AZ, Cassius, and/or Olympia too in order to easily get Landorus EX out of the Active position.

Further, I was able to run just 2 Rare Candy and 3 Korrina for consistent setup and deck operations.

IMO, if you run Octillery, consider running opponent's hand disruption card(s) like Delinquent, Judge, etc.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

i am suprised to see the 4 count of korrina paired with 4 ultraballs. why not cut down on search cards a bit. and not use ultraball, i would think that level ball would work better in this build, because you dont have to sacrifice cards and most of your pokemon are 90< anyway so.

I ran Landorus EX with Garchomp last season (and will be this season too) with much success. IMO, Landorus EX is one of the best Pokémon ever released. I'd suggest replacing the Giratina (which is just a bench warmer and an easy Lysandre-1HKO target for some decks) and the Lucario EX with 2 Landorus EX. Also, consider running AZ, Cassius, and/or Olympia too in order to easily get Landorus EX out of the Active position.

Further, I was able to run just 2 Rare Candy and 3 Korrina for consistent setup and deck operations.

IMO, if you run Octillery, consider running opponent's hand disruption card(s) like Delinquent, Judge, etc.

I hope you find these comments helpful.
Oops, forgot about Landorus. Yeah I like the idea of that one, the second attack has some synergy with Garchomp and the weakness is a good one. Though if I take out the Giratina, that does leave me open to getting wrecked by Trev. Have any ideas for that?

At Nats I ran a 3-3 line of Candy and Korrina. While it was pretty consistent, there were times where one of the candies would be prized and I found this slowed down the rate that I got my Garchomps up. I try to get multiple Garchomps in play so I can switch them around until I can get a Max Potion or something like that, so not being able to do it as fast worried me. However that was mainly a problem with the candies so I could try cutting a Korrina.
i am suprised to see the 4 count of korrina paired with 4 ultraballs. why not cut down on search cards a bit. and not use ultraball, i would think that level ball would work better in this build, because you dont have to sacrifice cards and most of your pokemon are 90< anyway so.
I run Ultra Ball instead of Level Ball so I can discard the Supporters and Energy I need. Since I don't run Battle Compressor this is my best way of discarding cards. 4 Korrina is actually pretty helpful due to me being able to grab an item as well, there's been quite a few times where I've gotten items that would play key roles in helping me later. Nonetheless, I have thought of using Level Balls in the past so I'll try it.

So maybe something like this?
- 1 Lucario EX
- 1 Korrina
- 2 Ultra Ball
+2 Level ball
+1 Delinquent
+1 Landorus EX

Oops, forgot about Landorus. Yeah I like the idea of that one, the second attack has some synergy with Garchomp and the weakness is a good one. Though if I take out the Giratina, that does leave me open to getting wrecked by Trev. Have any ideas for that?
Not only Trevenat BREAK, but Greninja BREAK is still a formidable deck too.

Against Trevenant, I found Landorus EX to be quite helpful since it can inflict damage upon the Defending Pokémon, as well as an opponent's benched Pokémon. Given it's relatively high HP, I was capable of KOing multiple opponent's Phantumps, Trevenants before my Landorus EX was finally KOd. Also, Lysandre helps in this match-up too when you can Lysandre-up a non-Trevenant (or play a Hex Maniac) to the Active in order to use a Max Potion, as well as other Items. I would strongly encourage you to run another copy of Landorus EX; it's that good, IMO. Consider -1 Focus Sash (3 Focus Sash + 2 Max Potion makes 3 potential Pokémon KOs equivalent to "5" Pokémon KOs - quite sufficient, IMO).

I run Ultra Ball instead of Level Ball so I can discard the Supporters and Energy I need. Since I don't run Battle Compressor this is my best way of discarding cards. 4 Korrina is actually pretty helpful due to me being able to grab an item as well, there's been quite a few times where I've gotten items that would play key roles in helping me later. Nonetheless, I have thought of using Level Balls in the past so I'll try it.

So maybe something like this?
- 1 Lucario EX
- 1 Korrina
- 2 Ultra Ball
+2 Level ball
+1 Delinquent
+1 Landorus EX
Level Ball, most definitely is your "friend" in this deck since 8 (50%) of the OP Pokémon can be retrieved with this Ball. These are solid deck improvement changes, IMO. Also, remember that with 4 VS Seeker, you have the potential to play 7 Korrina. I run Korrina and that works quite well for me.

With most of your attackers being non-EX Pokémon, is the Pokémon Ranger that helpful? If not, consider replacing it with another Lysandre.

You may find that running 1 Olympia to be a good Pokémon switching with your Active is "stuck." Consider replacing one of your Float Stones with this Supporter.

Hope these further comments helps.

Not only Trevenat BREAK, but Greninja BREAK is still a formidable deck too.
Oh yeah. That's another matchup I don't like. :x But isn't that another reason why I should run Giratina?
Against Trevenant, I found Landorus EX to be quite helpful since it can inflict damage upon the Defending Pokémon, as well as an opponent's benched Pokémon. Given it's relatively high HP, I was capable of KOing multiple opponent's Phantumps, Trevenants before my Landorus EX was finally KOd. Also, Lysandre helps in this match-up too when you can Lysandre-up a non-Trevenant (or play a Hex Maniac) to the Active in order to use a Max Potion, as well as other Items. I would strongly encourage you to run another copy of Landorus EX; it's that good, IMO. Consider -1 Focus Sash (3 Focus Sash + 2 Max Potion makes 3 potential Pokémon KOs equivalent to "5" Pokémon KOs - quite sufficient, IMO).
I tried playing around with the deck and at one point I did decide to play an extra Landorus, I did find that it worked well and if you say it's good then I'll probably run the two. I'm not too sure about getting rid of the 4th focus sash though. The Gibles are pretty frail and I've been in a few situations where they kept getting lysandred up and KOd, but that was last format so I might try that.
With most of your attackers being non-EX Pokémon, is the Pokémon Ranger that helpful? If not, consider replacing it with another Lysandre.
I put it in their for toad, but I haven't really been seeing much of it now that I think of it so I could remove it.
You may find that running 1 Olympia to be a good Pokémon switching with your Active is "stuck." Consider replacing one of your Float Stones with this Supporter.
I've been in situations where Sleep has been really annoying (being literally one attack away from winning), so I've though about it, but with Octillery having a 2 energy retreat cost I'm not really comfortable with having only one Float Stone and then needing to use a Supporter to switch Pokemon.

I think I'll replace the Ranger for a Landorus. However now I'm not sure whether I should replace a Focus Sash with a Lysandre, Giratina, or just not do anything with it.

Back